It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue with atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
This is what doesn't add up with atheism.

Atheism is the distantiation of God. These people claim to worship nothing, so are in fact claiming to be souvereign/supreme beings, actually God himself.

I wonder what their doctrine is about.

They very much lack souvereignity if you ask me.

or perhaps this is what you call souvereign:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
The fact the video is not working is as much proof of this so called souvereignity as if it would.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Worship is a strong word, and in my mind, a word of a slave or servant.

I am not an atheist, but I do not and will never worship any one thing. I am my own being, a cosmic fraction of my creator.

My creator is nameless and formless, though has gifted me with consciousness, self identity and an internal compass to guide from right and wrong.

If my creator is supreme in the grand scheme of things, I am as in essence, supreme. The very fact I am alive and intelligent in this harsh-impossible elemental realm we coined 'Universe' is a work of miracles of it's own.

Atheist or not, Faith does not mean Worship or servant.
Faith is internal judgement of what you believe is right, just and real.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Only an individual with a severely distorted view of atheism could make the arguments you just have. Atheism is merely having a lack of belief in a God or gods. Just because atheists do not believe a supreme ruler of the universe exists does not mean they elevate themselves to the status of a supreme leader.

There is no "issue" with atheism. It is a point of view on metaphysics.

edit on 10-5-2018 by Incandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Incandescent

we'll see about that

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Atheism is a choice not to believe in a god or gods
No more, no less
I don't think it's fair to add or assume anymore into that

Atheists all have different opinions and like jelly beans, come in all colours and flavores of their ideas

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Atheism is a choice not to believe in a god or gods.

A "choice" they are usually forced into expressing by believers demanding they do so.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
As a former atheist, I would just like to observe that the atheist is at least being more honest about doing what the bulk of the world is doing.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Atheism is the distantiation of God. These people claim to worship nothing, so are in fact claiming to be souvereign/supreme beings, actually God himself.

That's just silly. Atheism is not believing in God, so the idea that an atheist is claiming to be God is a non starter. Claiming to be a sovereign being is pretty much just taking responsibility for one's own actions. No need for supremacy at all.

I wonder what their doctrine is about.

Lol...isn't a doctrine, just non belief in a diety or supreme being.

They very much lack souvereignity if you ask me.

Did someone ask you? Anyway, the belief in a supreme being is pretty much giving up of one's own personal sovereignty. So in essence it is the believers who lack sovereignty.

Link didn't work.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

the point is claiming to worship nothing is claiming souvereignity

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

the point is claiming to worship nothing is claiming souvereignity

There is nothing wrong with claiming sovereignty over one's own life. I fail to see why that would be an issue for anyone.

edit on 10-5-2018 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
Worship is a strong word, and in my mind, a word of a slave or servant.

I am not an atheist, but I do not and will never worship any one thing. I am my own being, a cosmic fraction of my creator.

My creator is nameless and formless, though has gifted me with consciousness, self identity and an internal compass to guide from right and wrong.

If my creator is supreme in the grand scheme of things, I am as in essence, supreme. The very fact I am alive and intelligent in this harsh-impossible elemental realm we coined 'Universe' is a work of miracles of it's own.

Atheist or not, Faith does not mean Worship or servant.
Faith is internal judgement of what you believe is right, just and real.

Quoted for truth. Beautiful.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

There's nothing more horrible than blind faith. God gave you a mind and a heart and as long as you use them I don't think he cares if you believe in "it".

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

you need to follow the law, what's this sovereignity over your life about?

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think I get where you are coming from OP. I find it disconcerting that someone could believe we are accidents and that they are not beholden to some universal law.

Perhaps some of the problem comes from their common mischaracterization of God as some ‘sky being’ which I have yet to find someone who believes in such a childish vision of the Prime Mover.

While I don’t believe in any particular religious dogma, I have had enough personal experience to know something beyond us exists. What form that being takes I am not certain, but the universe is too elegant to be random.

Good OP.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

The issue with atheism are deluded worshipers like you, spreading hatred against anyone not worshiping your god(s).

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

yea, yea, we know their stories..

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I am an atheist and I am also very spiritual. The two are not mutually exclusive. A man mande god who rules over humans and tells them what to do and then punishes them is absolutely not needed in spiritualism.
I blieve in myself, maybe I have a soul [maybe not, it remains to be seen at the end]. Nature might very well recycle data, what do I know but reincarnation may be possible.
Multiple universes are extremely possible, so why not a variety of dimensions or even the possibility that you could come back at any point in history. after all time isn't linear.

I believe that my own brain which is connected to the universe knows more than I do consciously and often listen to my 'gut feelings'.
I behave the way I want to be treated by others, I don't lie and cheat because I have integrity and don't want to look like an asshole, plus it just isn't in my nature. I don't need a tyrant to threaten me at every point, I don't want to behave a certain way because of fear of hell. That would only mean that I am basically not to be trusted and need a strong hand to force me to behave. Which I don't.

Holy books were once written at a time where people were extremely ill educated and our scientific knowledge was in its infancy. Psychology hadn't yet been invented and people needed some kind of guidance.
So someone who was clever wrote some sort of rules that the uneducated could adhere to and understand.

Like a book for children. You do bad, then the bogeyman will come and eat you. It worked a treat.

However we as humans have grown up. We are not in the toddler stage any more. We have gone to primary school and now I guess the civilised world is at the level of college.

We now know about psychology, we know that we are not possessed by demons when in fact we have a mental disorder.
If you have been brought up properly, you know how to behave in society. If we do wrong all the time, we'll end up in jail and our lives will be bad enough to maybe make someone change.

However some people have not come out of the toddler stage and still need the bogey man as a thread.

Well I don't, I am calmer and have no fear and instead I can think about afterlife and science in a more mature way.

I am an Atheist!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
dp
edit on 10-5-2018 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

you need to follow the law, what's this sovereignity over your life about?

It's about taking responsibility for one's own life and actions. We all follow the laws that we agree to live by.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join