It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputy shoots groundhog crossing street in Carroll County

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A deputy in Maryland was caught on video helping a little groundhog cross a busy street,

The deputy stops traffic, gets out of his car , coaxes the little fella across the street safely then it starts to run a little and obviously reached for his waist band so the cop who was in fear for his life had to shoot it.. Twice..

I am sure people will defend this saying "it could have had rabies " Didnt look like it had rabies to me..

Im really tired of seeing cops kill things..

www.wmar2news.com...

edit on 7-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I've heard psychopaths start out hurting small animals, before moving to humans.....😕

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Does owning a gun and a badge make manly men into screaming p*ssies or something? I really and truly want to know.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I highly recommend watching the video

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
We just run the fricken rodents over.
They are a menace.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Barney Fife lives...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

What a flucking POS that cop is. I don't like it when people shoot critters for no reason. If he would have left the groundhog alone he would of either made it across the road or become roadkill.
But no he had to be a macho man. You could tell by how he pulled his gun. I wish animals knew how to shoot guns.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I highly recommend watching the video

So that we'll hate the psychopath even more?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It could have had rabies, who knows. I don't see a reason to show up to the ER to be treated for being bitten by one.

Still...what a naval gazing exercise that was. Blocked off traffic to get a crowd built up so he could shoot the animal in the end. If he'd not bothered stopping the car to mess with it to begin with, he could have retained his dignity while the rodent retained its rabies ridden life.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Just because someone has a gun, doesn't mean they know jack squat about wild life. I got woke up in the country from hearing 6 gunshots at midnight. Called 911 to find out a deer was hit by a car. I asked 911, "It took 6 freakin shots?"

The cops biggest mistake was attempting to save the whistle pigs life while everyone with a cell phone filmed it. Everything would have been cool if someone just ran the rodent over........

edit on 7-5-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That is the most absurd thing i have ever seen. Cops usually stop traffic for rodents?

What's up with the hand signs from him? He's telling people to back off? Because its a deranged critter?

Where are all the men these days?

This makes me fkn mad.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Can anyone explain to me why that pos shot that critter?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Only that he's a pos

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

He screwed up engaging it to begin with. Then became afraid as it became more aggressive in response to his aggression.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Because it didn't get run over. The best thing for all involved.

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

edit on 7-5-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wild groundhogs, when they see a human normally run in the opposite direction.
Typically, they run to the opening of their burrow and dive in to get away from a human.
This one was acting abnormally. It may have had rabies, who knows?
It is a rodent that is not an endangered species.
Carroll County is largely rural. I have friends that live there. Farmers look at groundhogs a bit differently than city dwellers.
edit on b000000312018-05-07T17:49:18-05:0005America/ChicagoMon, 07 May 2018 17:49:18 -0500500000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Its an official law enforcement policy... When in doubt, just pull your service weapon out and start firing.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This one was acting abnormally.

The same could be said of the LEO...

#GrounghogLivesMatter

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

he realized that it was not responding as expected for an animal that was not being cornered or trapped. Believing the groundhog to be either sick or injured, the deputy then put the animal down for the public’s safety.

I would have thought the same. The fact it did not run was pretty good evidence something was wrong I agree. Shooting it was the right choice after it kept advancing towards the officer instead of running.

Groundhogs, rockchucks where I grew up, are nuisance animals that overpopulate due there no longer being enough predators. A groundhog could probably take your finger off no problem and give quite a damaging bite with those beaver like teeth.

Truth is it likely was following its mating instincts. These guys, skunks and porcupines all have a season where you see an unusual number of them dead on the side of the road. They are crossing due to hormones and no doubt cause wrecks when people choose to defend the animals life instead of peoples lives on the road.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

LINK

MERIDEN, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) – Public health officials in Meriden have issued a warning about rabies after a person was bit by a woodchuck that later tested positive for rabies. The incident occurred earlier this week in the area of Baldwin Pond, said officials.
Officials offered the following tips:
Vaccinate your pets. Be sure your pet dogs, cats, ferrets and other animals are up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations. Pets too young to be vaccinated should be kept indoors

The same reason anyone would shoot a wild aggressive animal that would normally run but instead attacks. Rabies is no joke.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join