It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof of 'planet nine' may be sewn into medieval tapestries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

The far reaches of the outer solar system may be home to an icy giant — a hypothetical planet scientists have dubbed "Planet Nine."

Meanwhile, archives back on Earth are home to dozens of medieval records documenting the passage of comets through the heavens. Now, two researchers from Queen's University Belfast in Northern Ireland are hoping to use these old scrolls and tapestries to solve the modern astronomical mystery of Planet Nine.

Source: Proof of 'planet nine' may be sewn into medieval tapestries

But, how would ancient tapestries help in identifying this suspected Planet Nine?

Medieval records could provide another tool, said Pedro Lacerda, a Queen's University astronomer and the other leader of the project.

"We can take the orbits of comets currently known and use a computer to calculate the times when those comets would be visible in the skies during the Middle Ages," Lacerda told Live Science. "The precise times depend on whether our computer simulations include Planet Nine. So, in simple terms, we can use the medieval comet sightings to check which computer simulations work best: the ones that include Planet Nine or the ones that do not." [The Evidence for 'Planet Nine' in Images (Gallery)]

So, using the dates of these depictions on the tapestries as historic data points could help narrow down the gravitational effects of the planet in question, and help identify its location more accurately.

Very cool idea, and kudos for those thinking out of the box there.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I've read through the Anglo-Saxon chronicles and they do list comet-stars and other events. This paper summarizes them.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
But I thought this supposed planet is meant to pass every 36,000 years..?

Doesn't quite fit with a medieval timeline..

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

The data points from the tapestries are not direct evidence of its existence. They could provide additional data on the comets that would have been perturbed by it's passage way out there in the Kuiper belt. The current computer models of the comet paths could be further corrected using the dates of the depictions in the larger historical record.

That is the key here and the source of the claims in the article.

edit on 5/7/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

The data points from the tapestries are not direct evidence of its existence. They could provide additional data on the comets that would have been perturbed by it's passage way out there in the Kuiper belt. The current computer models of the comet paths could be further corrected using the dates of the depictions in the larger historical record.

That is the key here and the source of the claims in the article.

OK.. I hear ya..

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Planet ten. There are already nine, I don't give a # what the rewriters of history say...

Jaden

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
NIBIRU...Wormwood...The Destroyer.....and so on and so on.....due here again in 2021...why do you think we are all finally getting the truth....because TPTB know it will die on our lips with us all soon.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

You're getting your planets confused.

The alleged Nibiru is supposed to pass through the inner every 3600 years, not 36,000. However, Nibiru almost certainly does not exist because if it really did pass by Earth and the other inner planets every 3600 years (and extremely short time astronomically), the orbits of the inner planets would show evidence of this. That is, the orbits of the inner planets cannot be what they are if Nibiru did exist.

As the OP's article says, Nibiru seems to be quite fictional.

What astronomers call "Planet Nine" on the other hand, seems quite probably to exist.

Planet Nine is a hypothesized planet that is believed to orbit way out past Neptune. And when I say "way out there", I mean way out there, with a highly elliptical orbit that has been calculated to be (at its closest point) 7X farther than Neptune and (at its farthest point) 40X farther than Neptune. Unlike Nibiru, Planet Nine's orbit always keeps it beyond Neptune; it never swings through the inner solar system.

Planet Nine's full orbit is thought to take between 10,000 and 20,000 years.

Planet Nine is believed to exists because certain Kuiper Belt objects have elliptical orbits whose farthest point all seem to be pulled on one side of the Sun. Something out there seems to be pulling on these several kuiper belt objects, and that something is thought to be another planet.

This same evidence FOR Planet Nine is also evidence that Nibiru does not exist. I say that because just like Planet Nine can be calculated to exist based on eccentricities in the orbits of several Kuiper belt objects as Planet Nine's orbit takes it past these objects, we should expect Nibiru to also cause eccentricities in the orbits of Earth and the other inner planets.

But no such eccentricities have been observed in the inner planets.

By the way, the way Planet Nine fits the timeline of medievela tapastries is because (it is hoped) comet events had been recorded in those tapastries by medieval people who might have been interested in astronomy. The ideas being that Planet Nine would also perturb the orbits of comet and casue them to swing through the inner solar system. These tapastires may hypothetically give us a better historical record of past comets, which could further be used to gain a better understanding of Planet Nine's position.

edit on 8/5/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Planet ten. There are already nine, I don't give a # what the rewriters of history say...

Jaden

Planet 11 or 12.

I consider Ceres a planet and I'm still not completely convinced Vulcan (the hypothetical planet closer than Mercury to Sol) doesn't exist.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Jaden

Planet 11 or 12.

I consider Ceres a planet and I'm still not completely convinced Vulcan (the hypothetical planet closer than Mercury to Sol) doesn't exist.

When you convince the International Astronomical Union to use your personal definition of "planet," let us know.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Still searching across the world, to prove something across the solar system?

Ganymede or bust

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I did that, I just think the hard part will be convincing you that I have viable time-space travel and can warp the minds and perceptions of those whom I interact with.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Jaden

Planet 11 or 12.

If you are going to count Pluto as a planet (which I don't), I think you then need to count Pluto-Charon as two planets -- a double planet.

Charon doesn't orbit Pluto, but rather Charon and Pluto orbit a common point in space that is neither on Pluto nor Charon. The other know smaller Moons of the Pluto-Charon system also don't really orbit Pluto, but instead genearlly orbit around this common center of gravity of the two-body system.

On top of that, the Pluto-Charon system is also out of alignement with the general orbital plane of the major planets, swinging high above and dipping far below that plane. This highly-inclined orbit is more like the other kuiper belt objects than it is like the major planets.

In fact, Pluto is so much like other kuiper bel objects that if you were to call Pluto a planet, then there are seveal more known (and probably dozens or hundreds of unknown) objects similar to Pluto or Charon that there would be dozens or hundreds of things we would call a "Planet" (major planet). I'm fine with calling the kuiper belt objects (icluding Pluto) and the large asteroinds such as Ceres "dwarf planets" (or minor plants) instead.

edit on 8/5/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join