It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING** 2 x Magnitude 5.4 & 6.9 earthquakes just hit same Hawaii Island as active volcano.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
If the cracks start venting steam, then lava spews out (I think)

Hopefully everyone got out.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Latesest update from HVO

Alert Level: WARNING, Color Code: ORANGE2018-05-06 22:53:53 UTC

HAWAIIAN VOLCANO OBSERVATORY DAILY UPDATE
U.S. Geological Survey
Sunday, May 6, 2018, 12:53 PM HST (Sunday, May 6, 2018, 22:53 UTC)

KILAUEA VOLCANO (VNUM #332010)
19°25'16" N 155°17'13" W, Summit Elevation 4091 ft (1247 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING
Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE

Summary: Active eruption of lava and gas continues along Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone within the Leilani Estates subdivision. Since late last evening, fissure eruptions have been continuous, and a lava flow has advanced northward about 0.9 km (0.6 miles). Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop. There is no active lava in the Puʻu ʻŌʻō area. Aftershocks from Friday's magnitude-6.9 earthquake continue and more should be expected, with larger aftershocks potentially producing rockfalls and associated ash clouds above Puʻu ʻŌʻō and Halemaʻumaʻu crater. Seismicity at Kīlauea's summit remains elevated.

HVO
edit on 6-5-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I like how when something big happens, people run to their computer and matter-of-factly state what has just happened as if no one else has heard. LOL

posted on May, 11 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Kilauea update and prognostications.

In the beginning I wrote that the watertable is 615 metres below the highest point of the caldera wall. But to really understand that reference we have to go back to 1924. That year another lava lake at Halema’uma’u Crater was sucked away before earthquakes started at Puna. Same thing, but reverse order of events.

As the lava level hit the 615 metres mark the water interacted explosively with the lava and phreatoplinian detonations followed. The largest detonation created a column that was 7000 meters high.

In the end the vent that held the lava lake was destroyed completely.

In this case it means that phreatic to phreatoplinian detonations will start somewhere between today Friday and Tuesday latest, unless the lava level starts to rise again. The most likely moment for onset is on Sunday at 10.14 CET.

Prior to that explosions caused by rockfall from the cooling vent walls are probable, these rockfalls are expected to continue during the phreatoplinian phase. The current Overlook Vent is likely to be completely destroyed during this phase.

If the lava continues to withdraw to greater depth, subsidence inside Halema’uma’u Crater will occur, or even subsidence of the general caldera. The subsidence will most likely not occur through blocking of the roof, instead it will be as piston driven subsidence.

If this happens lava flows are likely to increase anywhere from western Leilani up to, and including, Puna. There is also the potential for another large earthquake, depending on how much of the pressure that is alleviated by out-pouring of lava.

This is where the person writing this piece thinks the eruption is trending based on what has happened before and what is going on currently.

There is also a good rundown on where the eruption has been in terms of activity that has already occurred to support his predictions.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is an eyewitness account of just how insidious a volcano can be. Late in the mid afternoon, before the ash cloud from Mt. St. Helens arrived at the Idaho border, I rode my bike over to an old friend who used to be a Silver Valley miner. He told me to taste my own blood coming out of my lungs. This was around 45 minutes before the sky here turned pitch black. You may have felt this too, if you were around a jackhammer job. The real killer is micro quartz, which is invisible, and being lighter than the rest of the ash, flies out ahead of a plume. He had silicosis, already, so he told me to be careful and then holed up, down in his basement, for about a week. Within a week or so, it began to rain continuously, and this seemed?? to resolve most of the ash from the air, at least here, which is nearly 400 miles from St. Helens.

Kilauea could easily micro fracture this ash, down to where you'd breath it into your lungs, and never see anything laying on the vegetation. It's never been written up for the general public, but as my old friend said, this is what caused his White Lung disease, or Silicosis. Some years later, he was quite sick from other ailments and then he was killed, crossing a busy street, at an intersection, over in Washington State.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

Hawaiian volcanoes, including Kilauea, are not stratovolcanoes. Mt. St. Helens is a stratovolcano. There is no comparison.

edit on 5/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Phage, St. Helens had a one in Four Thousand year event in 1980. We simply don't know what we don't know, about this Mauna Loa- Kilauea combined edifice. At the I.N.E.E.L., in S.E. Idaho, there are flooded lava tubes, running like subways, and crossing over each other, two and three tubes deep. It might well be a flooded lava tube from Mauna Loa, which blows up Kilauea, one day.

It's pretty obvious, that Mauna Loa was there first. The Feds had to diamond drill the heck out the Idaho Lava flood plains, before they would allow the Navy to build Adm. Rickover's nuclear sub training reactors on top of it. Volcano's National Park, and Mauna Loa, drilled into, not so much.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

does TA have his own youtube channel or was that a one off?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Here ya go.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
To whom it may concern, and you know who you are;
A Big Island resident was just "Lava Bombed" off of his Lanai, while watching the fireworks. His leg is pretty much gone, below his knee. I don't remember reading anything like this from the 1924 or 1955 eruptions there. Like I posted earlier, Mt. St. Helens had a one in four thousand year event, back in 1980. We don't know, what we don't know, about Kilauea's history, before the arrival of the Europeans. Somewhere I do recall reading about a native Hawaiian army which took a shortcut through a big crater, and were all killed by poisonous fumes.

SO 2 smells like rotten eggs, at up to around 5% concentration. But where it's fatal, at around 20% concentrations, you can't see or smell anything at all. This may explain why five or six men were gassed to death, trying to pull out one collapsed man in the bottom of a shaft at a plant, here on the Mainland, a few years back. It was filled to lethal levels of SO 2, but no one smelled anything, and so one after another rescuer, crawled down to help, and was overcome, and perished. That gas probably built up over time in both the Hawaiian crater, and the Industrial plant, but one really big belch of SO 2 can and will, kill off, present day Hawaiians on the Big Island, just like the same kind of volcanic fumes killed Pliny the Elder, on the beaches near Vesuvius, in AD 79. That Pliny was a Roman Adm. doing his duty, rescuing as many fleeing Pompeiians as possible, onto his galleys.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join