It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING** 2 x Magnitude 5.4 & 6.9 earthquakes just hit same Hawaii Island as active volcano.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow. I am looking at "Quakes" live earthquake map. It looks like more than 40 earthquakes on Hawaii in the last 3 hours and an additional 10-15 in southern California in the last 4 hours. The SoCal quakes are all small, but it still has me concerned. The pacific rim has been very active in recent years and the one major area lagging behind in activity is SoCal.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Maybe this is the reality where cali chips off into the ocean...

Things are getting very unbelievable and surprisingly quite.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
After a very shallow (~5km depth) mag 6.9Mw quake, it's no surprise that there are an awful lot of aftershocks, especially as according to USGS, there is a volcanic component involved in this seismicity. After very significant quakes at shallow depths, it's not unusual to see hundreds or even thousands of aftershocks, and that can be exacerbated when there is a volcanic component as well.

SoCal averages 600-700 quakes a week if nothing major is happening in the region, as it has done for all the years I've been keeping tabs on it via e.g. the Southern California Earthquake Data Centre at Caltech, and doubtless for many long years before then.

Right now, the SoCal map at the above site shows 885 quakes (ie, during the past 7 days), which is a bit above average but nothing extraordinary:

I don't see any evidence that SoCal is "lagging behind in activity". It's running a touch above average right now, but not a great deal. Are you saying that as there have been some major quakes elsewhere in the "ring of fire" SoCal is "lagging behind"? I would hope not, but I'd be glad for some clarification.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: VariableConstant

The explosion(s) at Halema`uma`u (no okina on da keyboard) were most likely due to rock falls resulting from the quake.
It did also produce a small local tsunami, recorded at Hilo.
tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...< br />
(The display is realtime, you may have to change the date to see 5/04/18. Star Wars day! May the forth be with you!)

I am glad that you, and by extension all the people you know, are safe and sound.

Best wishes

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: Phage

If you were born there and eat pineapples 🍍 on a regular badus, you’re Hawaiian 🌺 lol

Wow that is very disrespectful. What does pineapple have to do with being Hawaiian? Hawaiian is a race, you can't just live there and "eat pineapples" then all of a sudden you are Hawaiian.

That's a direct equivalent to someone saying, oh you lived in the ghetto and eat watermelon so therefore you are African American.

Ignorant.

Wow! Calm down!
I was joking.anyways,

Pineapples are grown in Hawaii and we’re discussed in this thread already ( by Phage at one point)

When I went to Hawaii they put pineapples on my plate with every meal. Even MacDonalds came with a side of pineapples 🍍 so when in Hawaii you are eating pineapples a lot! He said he’d lived there most of his life. I was just making a joke.

I realize Hawaii is a state and not a country. I think native Hawaiians are Polynesian anyways.
Besides nobody I know has anything against Hawaiians for it to come off as racist.

You went the racist route not me. Your watermelon comment was ignorant.

Is it any different to say if you live in Alaska you’re Alaskan? Or New York, you’re a New Yorker? I have friends who live in New York and they call themselves that . Or Californian, Texan. I could go on. I was referring to the state of Hawaii. I suppose my flower 🌺 was a bad choice as well?

edit on 5-5-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

So, funny thing, mainly touristy restaurants serve pineapple with everything. Only Mcdonalds in popular tourist spots serve pineapple. Yes it grows here, but it is thrown in tourists faces like its common to eat on a daily basis.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So back to the volcano. News was just reporting a little while ago that there are now 8 fissures.

If you want to see what the people in Hawaii are seeing on the news look up:
Hawaii news now/ KHNL
KHON
KITV

or on facebook theres a group called 'stolen stuff hawaii' that has a lot of info on whats happening.
edit on 6-5-2018 by fyredansyr because: adding call letters for a news station

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but as an update:

There continue to be quakes in the 2 - 3 plus range, dozens in the last 24 hours, though nothing as large as the 6.9, thankfully.

Additional fissures have opened up in Puna, and lava is flowing from at least 8 different points, that I know of.

Additional evacuations are ongoing, as beside the obvious and immediate dangers of the lava itself, the sulfur dioxide gas coming from the earth presents a significant health hazard. The entire island was blanketed in a thick layer of vog today, though we got a bit of breeze this afternoon that helped (us) a bit, but which means it is probably heading toward Phage's direction on Oahu.

As far as the last few comments and the significance of pineapples, I think maybe I brought that up as a joke and didn't mean to cause any friction for anyone. It is a common misconception/stereotype that those of us that live in the islands consist on a diet of pineapples and coconuts, while living in our grass huts. Of course this is not true. No one is a racist for joking about pineapples, but just realize it is mainly for the tourists.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

We in NZ have a restaurant called "puha and pakeha" ....puha is basically a spinach like veg not unlike dandelion, and pakeha is Maori for white man......you reckon that's racist? I'd like to know where the pakeha comes from,I've got a few blokes I can't get a hold of.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ

We in NZ have a restaurant called "puha and pakeha" ....puha is basically a spinach like veg not unlike dandelion, and pakeha is Maori for white man......you reckon that's racist? I'd like to know where the pakeha comes from,I've got a few blokes I can't get a hold of.

Well, that's really one of the best things about Hawaii: there are so many races and cultures, so no real minorities; racism is really not a thing here.

If some jackasses showed up wearing clan hoods or something, they'd be told to leave or just disappear. The last ones went missing, as I understand.

All races here joke about other races, and even about themselves in a self-deprecating way. That's why racism is really not even a thing where I live. I don't know about other islands, but on Hawaii Island (Big Island), everyone jokes about themselves and everyone else, and there really are no serious problems. If someone was really hateful or hardcore racist, they'd be gone before long, one way or another. It's a large island, but the whole thing is a small community where everyone is interconnected to each other.

So no, don't worry about the restaurant. Nobody on (or in, big difference) Hawaii would possibly care.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

OK,you guys need to send some Hawaiians down here to sort it out lol.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thanks for the updates.

The seismicity is going to rumble on for some time, by the looks. Especially with the related ongoing volcanic activity.

An updated report from Hawaii News Now states that fissures 9 and 10 have opened in Leilani Estates. (The page has text, various photos and also a 6-minute embedded video.)

The report at the above link opens with the following:

PUNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Just after 9 p.m. Saturday, two more fissures opened in Leilani Estates on Hawaii Island.

Fissure number nine is spewing lava at Luana Street on the Malama side of Leilani Avenue.

The 10th fissure is located at Kupono Street on Malama side of Leilani Avenue.

The eruptions are kicking back up, which is increasing the amount of toxic sulfur dioxide in the air.

That's why evacuees who were told they may be able to go back into the evacuation zone to grab items left behind will have to wait a bit longer.

Lots more details on the linked page. I can't quote more here because of restrictions on re-publishing copyrighted materials.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: fyredansyr

So, funny thing, mainly touristy restaurants serve pineapple with everything. Only Mcdonalds in popular tourist spots serve pineapple. Yes it grows here, but it is thrown in tourists faces like its common to eat on a daily basis.

I thought about that afterwards, that they do it with tourists. My daughter loves pineapple and was in heaven getting fresh pineapple everywhere we went.

in Canada our most popular pizza is ham & pineapple or “ Hawaiian”. We went to a pizza shop in Hawaii though and were shocked there were no pineapple toppings available.

Cerstainly leaves the impression you eat pineapples 🍍 on a regular basis.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Rarely. If ever.
I don't really care for it. Now, mangoes and lychee...

In any case, the pineapple industry in Hawaii is all but dead.

edit on 5/6/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I would guess they do, but not as often as we outsiders like to think. For us, it's an exotic thing, but for them, it's just so common.

Think about the things that commonly available for you to eat and then consider how often you actually do eat them. Unless it's a staple that everything is based around, it's not as often as you think it might be despite it being readily available.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

They will make you connect to 5G whether you like it or not...

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

The Pineapples sucked to begin with.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but there are apparently cracks opened up on Highway 130 which means there is the risk of a fissure opening up there. If that were to happen, it would cut off one of two escape routes along the coast.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

The Pineapples sucked to begin with.

I do love a pina colada though

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join