It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Volcano Forces Evacuation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

The coloration is from ash, not smoke or steam.

Since the coloration is pointed out in all the news stories, it's obviously not what's normally seen, as volcanos go.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Hurr

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Since the coloration is pointed out in all the news stories, it's obviously not what's normally seen, as volcanos go.

Don't depend on consumer news for science. Here's Puu Oo (the same vent in the image above) from 2011.

An ash cloud rises from Puu Oo crater on Saturday as its floor collapses due to magma withdrawl. (Click on photo to enlarge.) Photo: USGS

www.hawaiimagazine.com...

That is exactly what happened this morning. Magma moved downslope to the lower east rift, causing a collapse at Puu Oo, and an eruption in Leilani Estates.

edit on 5/4/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Hmm, so the fissure type eruptions started about 4 hours ago.

Crazy.

Hope everyone is ok over there, lave be it slow or fast is no fun when ones home is nearby.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
How high is the fire hazzard from that lava stream in the forest? Could this maybe be more dangerous than the eruption itself?

Also:
The Hawaiian science division deployed their most accurate high precision tools and sensors to keep tabs on the volcanos activities:

edit on 4-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
According to the live News Source They are saying that it has been upgraded to a full eruption.

Sad that this is essentially an area considered what the rest of us would know as a 'flood plain' and no one can get insurance on their home as this was a known reality for this and a bunch of other subdivisions in the area.

Homes in the Leilani Estates range in price from $100,000 - $500,000.

How frustrating and sad.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Its kinda interesting how at the same time

Hawaii is having earthquakes and minor eruptions:
Link

New Zealand just found a massive sink hold open up:
Link

A spectacular sinkhole the length of two football fields and the depth of a six-storey building has opened up on a New Zealand farm.

and Yellow Stones Geyser had a triple eruption:
Link

The problem is Steamboat’s eruptions are super erratic, and no one can predict when it’s going to be active—sometimes it takes months, sometimes it takes years. But now, three and a half years since its last major outburst, Steamboat has awakened, spouting three times in the last six week

edit on 4/5/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

a reply to: MysticPearl

There are volcanoes and there are volcanoes. Hawaiian eruptions tend to be rather calm. The lava calmly flows into your home, giving you time to leave.

The Puna area is a known high risk area on the slopes of Kilauea. Land is pretty cheap there.

Id take a cheap house near Kilauea over a cheap house in the old lahar paths of Rainier any day. The former,like you said, plenty of time to evacuate. Massive eruption from a composite volcano like Rainier? Not so much.

Stay safe out there.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Interesting, a geothermal plant is at risk, and was shut down in emergency mode.

Puna Geothermal Venture, Kapoho Pahoa Rd, Pāhoa, HI is less than a mile from the lava breakout.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Look at the power lines in that photo how stretched they are, I bet you could play guitar on those strings. Notice the how they are hanging on the other side.

The insulators basically take up all the load. All it needs now is a temperature fall so the lines will contract even more and PING you get a really nasty chain effect.

I hope they are aware of that there, if those lines rip they cut you in half if you´re standing in their way.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Bad volcano...

In the spring and summer of 1816, a persistent "dry fog" was observed in parts of the eastern United States. The fog reddened and dimmed the sunlight, such that sunspots were visible to the naked eye. Neither wind nor rainfall dispersed the "fog". It has been characterized as a "stratospheric sulfate aerosol veil"./ex] (WP Quote)

It was the start of the "Year without a Summer", affecting New England and Maritime Canada the worst. Caused by a Mini Ice Age and the eruption of Mt. Tambora. Snow never melted that year. Many killed and crops ruined.

Like Phage pointed out earlier, it was the sulphur.
edit on 4-5-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
How high is the fire hazzard from that lava stream in the forest? Could this maybe be more dangerous than the eruption itself?

It's a very wet part of the island, and there has been quite a bit of rain this year, so I don't believe there's much of a danger of fire spreading, at least not much farther than the lava does.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hey Phage, as a local perhaps you could assist me. In the fissure photos with the lava leaking out, the trees aren't on fire? Is this usual? My common sense (admittedly not worth the name!) would say that lava plus trees = forest fire.

Other than that, stay safe and enjoy the view.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Residents and social media posts shows video spewing through cracks in the earth.

Some mighty hot video they got there. Youtube try monetizing it?

Methinks Hawaii is about to undergo changes even the rich cannot escape. Hello, Pompeii?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Off topic, but my wife and I watch Hawaii 5-0 (the remake series). Any experiences you would like to share?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

A spectacular sinkhole the length of two football fields and the depth of a six-storey building has opened up on a New Zealand farm.

the gap in the landscape will likely erode...the walls will collapse...and will result in a strangely deep depression in that farm acreage...

future people will likely wonder if the anomaly is an ancient meteor crater with the rim eroded away...ha ha

~but we of 2018 will know it was a sinkhole from nowhere~

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

a reply to: scubagravy

I live on the busy isle (Oahu). Quite safe, except for the traffic.

I envy you, living in Hawaii. Been there twice. I’d risk volcanoes rather than living in the concrete jungles of Philly.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Or a really long-term rifting event might also do it, but we're talking years.

Iceland's Laki event was the most recent example of such a high gas rifting event.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I didnt know you were kaamaina!!

I used to live on Lahaina, Maui, and Mililani, Oahu for 20 years.

Didnt worry much about the volcanos on hawaii, I had Hurricaine Ewa and Iniki instead!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The eruption and evactuation lead the nightly news on CBS, NBC today. You were ahead of the curve!

p.s. ABC Nightly News led off with Stormy Daniels. FAR more important than lives endangered...not!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join