It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Volcano Forces Evacuation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
15 fissures now

......Fissure 15 broke ground across Poihiki Road, generating a pahoehoe flow about 20 m (66 ft) long. During an overflight of the area about 3 p.m. HST, geologists observed a new steaming area uprift (west) of Highway 130. During a second overflight at 4:30 p.m., the area was still steaming.

HVO
edit on 10-5-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Hawaii volcano threatens power plant; mass evacuations possible

Hawaii authorities scrambled to move tens of thousands of gallons of highly flammable chemicals from the path of lava on Thursday, and the state's governor warned mass evacuations might be needed as the Kilauea volcano's eruption became more violent.

www.thejakartapost.com...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

That's an incomplete description. There is always magma in contact with groundwater. The concern with falling magma levels is this:

1) Dropping magma levels cause loss of support of the walls of the crater which lie below the water table.
2) The walls of the crater collapse into the magma channel, sealing it.
3) The steam which is being produced by water in contact with magma has no place to escape.
4) Kaboom.

It is also incorrect to refer to it as lava when it is underground.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Ok I stand corrected, or CNN does.

Do you think a bigger explosion or eruption 🌋 is possible?
There’s still quite a bit of magma underground thst could come up right?

Sorry, I am not a volcanologist to use the correct terms! I read several sources which might have said that. Reporters aren’t really experts either.

ETA
From USGS .. they called it a lava lake

KÄ«lauea Volcano Summit
Tiltmeters at the summit of KÄ«lauea Volcano continue to record the deflationary trend of the past week and the lava lake level continues to drop. At about 8:32 a.m. HST, a large rockfall from the steep crater walls into the retreating lake triggered an explosion that generated an ash column above the crater; the ash was blown toward the south-southwest. Rockfalls and explosions that produce ash columns are expected to continue.

USGS - HVO

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

An explosion is possible. That's why the park has been closed.

From USGS .. they called it a lava lake
That is the lake at the crater floor. It is exposed to the air, it is not underground. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ok so it’s lava.
Magma is underground, it’s renamed lava once it reaches the surface and begins to flow?

Am I posting useless info?
You are so much smarter at sciences.
I’m interested and just trying to learn.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Magma is underground, it’s renamed lava once it reaches the surface and begins to flow?

Yes.

It's not useless information to learn and use the correct technical terminology. It helps avoid confusion.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Phage; interested to what you think about Mauna Loa. Is it's recent activity in sympathy with what is going on in Kilauea, or are they non-related? (I guess, the question is, do they share the same underground magma chambers?).

I remember a few trips to Barbers Point Naval Air Station in the late 70's, that was before Mauna Loa erupted (1984?) . It was smoking back then and there were complaints on air quality when the winds shifted. Then, Mauna Loa and Kilauea erupted within a year of each other. When I went back there in 2000, many roads that I had traveled back then were completely cut off as lava fields crossed them.

I just fear that if both of those babies seriously erupt again, then it will be a very dangerous situation for those that live anywhere near them. Hope everything just calms down. It is just such a beautiful place to live and visit.
edit on 10-5-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

There could be a connection between the two. But it's thought that an eruption of one may reduce the likelihood of an eruption of the other.

Yeah, a Mauna Loa eruption can be devastating just because of the size of the lava flows it tends to produce. Its flows can go in a number of different directions and cover great distances. They've reached as far as North Kona as well as all the way to Hilo.

edit on 5/10/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

There could be a connection between the two. But it's thought that an eruption of one may reduce the likelihood of an eruption of the other.

That certainly makes a lot of sense.
I hope that is the case and also that Kilauea does not explode!!! . Be safe!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

We have a family vacation house in Volcano village. It's pretty far from the crater so we're not too worried. But, still...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Wow, just the name of the place, "Volcano village", is certainly something to ponder. Makes you think something pretty bad happened there long ago!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Fissure 16 has erupted

U.S. Geological Survey
Saturday, May 12, 2018, 9:10 AM HST (Saturday, May 12, 2018, 19:10 UTC)

LOWER EAST RIFT ZONE
Minor spattering activity has been reported from a new fissure (16) that has opened about 0645 this morning about 1 mile northeast of fissure 15 at the northeast end of the existing vent system. No significant lava flow from this new fissure has been reported or observed at this time, but conditions could change quickly. Elevated earthquake activity and ground deformation continue and additional outbreaks in the area remain likely.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Filmed by Travis Sanders

youtu.be...
edit on 12-5-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thst looks like a cross-section of a heart

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Excellent live coverage, with sound:

VolcanoYT.com

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Can’t see in .canada

Here’s another
m.youtube.com...

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Meanwhile, at Halema`uma`u:
( the above looks weird because there is no keyboard character which accurately represents the 'okina, a diacritical mark denoting a glottal stop in pronunciation. Hale ma-u ma-u, sort of gets it, but not quite)

This morning, a steady, vigorous plume of steam and occasionally minor amounts of ash is rising from the Overlook vent and drifting downwind to the southwest. As has been observed over the past several days, occasional rockfalls into the deep vent are expected produce intermittent pulses of slightly more vigorous ash emissions. Depending on wind conditions, dustings of ash may occur in the Kilauea summit area and downwind. More energetic ash emissions are possible if explosive activity commences.
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

edit on 5/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here are the USGS webcams for Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanos.

USGS.gov - HVO webcams.

They are on 24/7. If it gets dark, they auto-switch to infrared and record heat.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: scubagravy

I live on the busy isle (Oahu). Quite safe, except for the traffic.

In any case, stay unmelted.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Take a look at my thread regarding the Hawaii situation, particularly the 6.9 eq.

If you're into predictive/precognitive theories or at least, willing to challenge your skepticism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join