It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A timeline of the biggest waves surfed as Rodrigo Koxa sets new record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Guinness Book of World Records - Largest Wave Ever Surfed

Riding the waves is something millions of people love to do, but nobody has ridden a wave as big as Brazil’s Rodrigo Koxa.

The 38-year-old is now the official Guinness World Records title holder for the Largest wave surfed (unlimited) which measured 24.38 m (80 ft).

Koza rode the wave at Nazaré, Portugal, on 8 November 2017 but was awarded the Quiksilver XXL Biggest Wave award by the World Surf League (WSL) at an event in California, US, on Saturday 28 April.

Guinnessworldrecords.com, May 1, 2018 A timeline of the biggest waves surfed as Rodrigo Koxa sets new record.

His name is Rodrigo Koxa (hehe, they spelled it both ways in their own article!). The ride was done last year but only verified at the end of last month! If you go the website, there is a view from what looks like shore with him about 1/2 of the way down!!

Whoa! That is beyond gnarly! He is so small compared to the wave. The sheer power behind that thing... that rules dude!!

Another photo at abcnews.go.com - Brazilian surfer sets new record after riding massive 80-foot wave.

This one really shows how tiny he is compared to the wave.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I imagine one must be very careful when attempting to measure such a beast.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Where's the timeline?

Was expecting more.....color me disappointed.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The first time through, I was watching the jet ski and had to go back and watch it again!

Thought of this clip too!

"He ain't coming back..."

That was their title. When able, you supposed to use the source title as is, no modifications. So I did.

The "time line" is concerning how through the last 10 -15 years the wave size has been increasing.
edit on 1-5-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tag on reply

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Here ya go.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I like the self referential Jane’s Addiction reference!! Strays, The Riches!!

I like this one from earlier..,

m.youtube.com...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

In surfing it’s not about how big a wave is necessarily, but how heavy. I still think Teahupoo is one of the heaviest and gnarliest out there. Check it out

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Catching a wave with a large tiger-shark hanging with you is awesome scary.
You know you better not fall down.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

I agree! Surfing is not any one thing for everybody. Like snowboarding, I will watch half-pipe competitions but for me, to me, it is about being in the high mountains with nobody else around but a small group of friends on what would be considered rather long boards cruising down the face! To each their own, that is cool with me. I figured I'd share something that in and of itself was pretty amazing.

BTW, that is a rocking wave!

top topics

join