It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush steps up pressure on Syria: Lays out demands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The Bush administration has increased political pressure on Syria in the wake of the assassination of the former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. He further outlined a series of demands that he expects Syria to meet. Included in these demands was a call to withdrawal from Lebanon as well as hand over any supporters of Saddam Hussein. Also listed was the requirement that Syria no longer use its territories to support terrorist groups.

news.bbc.co.uk
President George Bush has increased US pressure on Syria, laying out demands he says he expects Damascus to meet.
Tension has intensified since former PM Rafik Hariri, who had called for Syrian troops to withdraw from Lebanon, was killed by a bomb in Beirut on Monday.

Mr Bush stopped short of blaming Syria for the attack, but demanded Damascus pull out of Lebanon and hand over any supporters of Saddam Hussein.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Syria may have overplayed its hand on this one. Even if it it was not reasonable for the assassination of the popular former PM Rafik Hariri it is still suspect in many peoples minds. Hariri had called for the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon. If the investigation shows that the assassination was carried out by a group that Syria harbors, more pressure will be applied and Syria may feel backed into a corner. Who knows how they will react at that point.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Tensions Rise Between U.S and Syria..
NEWS: Iran and Syria Form "Common Front"
NEWS: Beirut Mourns And Protests
NEWS: Lebanese Army Mobilise After Assassination.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 18-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 19-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
to incite iran and now syria is not a good idea.the thought of getting more conurtires invold in war is crazy.i think the u.n has not looked very closely at the details of all this and the usa agenda.this could plung these countires into war.the data is unclear and making other countires pissed off will not get any peace in the area.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The 'jig' is up for Syria

The U.S. are not the only one's placing pressure on Syria on the issue of Lebanon:

The UN Security Council on Tuesday called on all parties to fulfill the French- and US-sponsored Resolution 1559 passed in September, which demands a Syrian pullout and an end to outside interference in Lebanon's affairs.

FRENCH MINISTER, ALLUDING TO SYRIA, CALLS FOR FULL LEBANESE SOVEREIGNTY

IMHO, Syria backed its ownself into a corner.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
why would the french want to get involded with this policy.at the time did they get pressured to sign without any knowledge that the usa would go threw with it. i wonder how some of these countries get onboard and regret it later just ask tony blair about that one.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This may be where the US and France get to work together on something, and quite right, too. Syria is essentially surrounded: NATO member Turkey to the north, Iraq (i.e. the US) to the east, Israel to the south. I can see why they want to use the baleful presence of Iran to the other side of Iraq, but it won't help Assad. In fact, it will hurt, as Europe and the US have already been after Iran on the nuclear question.

Whether armed force will be used is another question. There's a lot of pressure that can be brought to bear first, and despotic regimes are always subject to sudden collapse.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Flukemol, I believe France has always had close ties with Lebanon and this may simply be a time when US and French interests coincide.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
here is a website about the ties but does not give you clear ideas of the connection between what is now going on at all.i watched my leader and the usa not give a clear idea of what is the big deal is.the u.n should look a little closer before jumping the gun.

link here

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
flukemol,
Apparently you may have missed my quoted section? The "connection" you inquire about was given and stated.

Just in case you missed it:

The UN Security Council on Tuesday called on all parties to fulfill the French- and US-sponsored Resolution 1559 passed in September, which demands a Syrian pullout and an end to outside interference in Lebanon's affairs.

Here are a multitude of links to that particular U.N. Resolution:
U.N. Resolution 1559

seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Is it me, or does this sound all to familiar? I'm not saying that we planted the explosives to kill the former prime minister, but it can't hurt if we have the full backing of an angry, revenge hungry Lebanon if we go into Syria.
It kind of nullifies that pact between Iran and Syria as now Syria must worry about an angry army coming in from Lebanon and as always a perpetual threat from nearby Israel. That leaves us free to deal with Iran without looking over our shoulder. It's now just a question of which country will be first, Syria or Iran, as I think it's a foregone conclusion that we are going into both.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The War Continues

Despite the Herculean efforts of some to remain blind to it, there is a war on.

Sides have been chosen, shots have been fired, strategies are now in play.

People can either choose deliberate ignorance or they can see the handwriting on the wall.

Iraq was not a "detour", but a stepping stone.

The U.S. is making its play in the Middle East.

It is "preemptive" only in the sense that we are acting before other major powers do so instead.

The information is all publicly available, if you're willing to recognize it then you see it.

More is coming, and it promises to be very interesting viewing, indeed.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show, or run up and down the aisles of the theater whining about how the movie sucks. Up to you, since the ushers are pretty laid back in this theater.

But whether you choose to watch or whine, the end of the movie will be the same.

I recommend watching and learning a little about history works, and geopolitical chess is played -- and won.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
u.n has not looked very closely at the details of all this and the usa agenda.

How can the UN be trusted to be a fair judge when they have been proven to be corupt.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
The War Continues

Despite the Herculean efforts of some to remain blind to it, there is a war on.
I agree fully. The US now has Afghanistan and Iraq which leaves Iran in the middle surrounded. Syria is in a position where there is no where they can go. We would easily own the med again Syria is surounded. Lebenon Arab or not has many christians and Lebeneses are more closely related to Greeks then Saudi's if I am not mistaken. Again that leaves Suadi's who will go with who ever is on top. They are real good at playing everyside. Typical of cowards.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by skychief
Syria must worry about an angry army coming in from Lebanon and as always a perpetual threat from nearby Israel.

Perhaps Israel may be a threat, but hardly the lebanese army. That is kind of an oxymoron, actually. Lebanon has all of 9 helicopters, a few tanks, and not that many infantry. The army is also much more likely to side with Syria over the lebanese people if it came down to it, since the Syrian-backed lebanese government would rather wipe out lebanon than fight Syria. Total overthrowal of the government is the answer for lebanon. I hope my homeland can pull through this. Inshallah kill'na be'kun najahna bi'll harab'ill sooria.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
why would the french want to get involded with this policy.at the time did they get pressured to sign without any knowledge that the usa would go threw with it. i wonder how some of these countries get onboard and regret it later just ask tony blair about that one.

One think people forget is that France and Britain used to the the 800 poubd gorilla that the United States is acused of being all the time. France has had iextensive involvement in Asia (Vietnam ring a bell?) Africa and the Middle East as had Britiain.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Lebanon Anonymous

Originally posted by General Zapata
Perhaps Israel may be a threat, but hardly the lebanese army.

Christmas is likely to come early for the Lebanese military this year.

Courtesy of Uncle Sam-ta Clause and his magical surrogate elves.

War isn't a canvas, it's a motion picture.

Be careful when you blink, and please pass the popcorn.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Lebanon Anonymous

Originally posted by General Zapata
Perhaps Israel may be a threat, but hardly the lebanese army.

Christmas is likely to come early for the Lebanese military this year.

Courtesy of Uncle Sam-ta Clause and his magical surrogate elves.

War isn't a canvas, it's a motion picture.

Be careful when you blink, and please pass the popcorn.

I don't mind to but in, I have read your post lately and I wonder why you war entertaining? Wouldn't it be more entertaining being there facing the bullets? This movie doesn't have a happy ending.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
No Accounting For Taste

Originally posted by IComeWithASword
I don't mind to but in, I have read your post lately and I wonder why you war entertaining? Wouldn't it be more entertaining being there facing the bullets? This movie doesn't have a happy ending.

If you find sanctimonious finger-pointing to be more enjoyable, then knock yourself out.

I see no reason why I should wring my hands to satisfy your demand for a dishonest charade.

Feel free to wring your own hands though -- just keep them off me and we'll get along fine.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hey guys lets sit back in our chairs for a second and think about this stuff. Doesnt it sound like we are about to be involved in some major wars? I mean weve been in a few minor conflicts here and there for the past 10 years but now it seems like things are heating up big time. I dont know, its kind of scary and weird at the same time. Weird because life is weird. I dont know I just think about all this stuff and it just makes me believe more and more of what the Bible says will come. WW3 is definitely coming and very soon. I hope we as citizens are safe for the most part but I think millions of lives will be lost.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
yes indeed its the big squeeze - the USA has begun its checkmate move, Iran and Syria will fall as they are being given offers that truly they can not refuse. If the " common front " of Syria and Iran put forth a comprehensible strategy to defend themselves - it will only make the targeting arena richer for the US and her Allies.

Bush has decided that his legacy will be the Westerner that brought down the hostile regimes of the MIddle East. For how many centuries have the Arabs battled eachother and the world? I cant remeber a time of true peace ever reighning in the Middle East. Bush has stepped up to a challenge of truly biblical proportions, he will not, nor can not back down. The entire region will be geopilitically remade one way or the other - if the leaders of these nations value the lives of their citizenry, which I pray they do, but fear they do not , this could remain relatively bloodless. However much more likley the Middle East will be remade by force.

The time for idle chatter , and empty threats is over. This should be self evident to the regimes in the mIddle East. This is not Jimmy Carter nor Bill Clinton running the show. Bush , hate him or love him, is a man who takes action and act he must.

I expect to see a major conflagration soon

stay tuned

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Seems to me Syria really should pay attention to the UN's 1559 res. All they sem to offer is trouble and yet they don't seem to understand they could get offered trouble in return that may be more that government could absorb.
Dallas

<<   2 >>

join