It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush steps up pressure on Syria: Lays out demands

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I have a feeling that the Administration believes it can solve the issue with Syria diplomatically for a change....and they may be right, if they don't screw it up... It'd be nice to see them do something right for a change...

Syria has either backed themselves in a corner, or someone very clever put them there....and honestly, I just don't think our current Administration is that clever to have pulled it off....

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Iran has no nuclear weapons plans: Russia

President Vladimir Putin says his country is convinced that Iran has no intention of developing atomic weapons and will continue to cooperate with Iran in the civilian nuclear sector.

"The latest steps on Iran's behalf persuade us that Iran has no intention of building an atomic weapon," Mr Putin said.

"Consequently, we will continue to cooperate with Iran in all fields, including in nuclear energy."

Link

Could this mean a Russia-Syria-Iran alliance. If so, that might make the White House think twice.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

as posted by sanctum
If so, that might make the White House think twice.

Or else what, sanctum?
Putin get pissed?
Oh my, seems to me that Mr. Putin is doing this and saying such because he is still pissed that the U.S. and other Western nations stepped in and thwarted his plans for the Ukraines in their past elections?

Russia and Putin have only one thing on their collective minds: money. As such, nuclear proliferation is of no consequence. The bottom line is: "I'll say anything and sell you anything as long as you sign that sales contract." Russia and Putin are making loads of money off the Syrian's and Iranian's. If you want to call it an "alliance, " then so be it, but in truth, what they (Iran, Syria, and Russia) share is nothing but simple business cooperations: "my weapons and such will do this for you and your money, in buying them, will allow me to do this, thank you very much. Need anything else, cash, cheque/check, or credit will suffice."

seekerof

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by sanctum
If so, that might make the White House think twice.
If you want to call it an "alliance",

Seekerof, i used the term "alliance" as a metaphor.

Sanc'.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The army of the Free World is in Arabia, and NOONE can stop it.

If the Russians, Iranians, Syrians, Chinese, or any AXIS of them could remove the Free World Army from Arabia, they would have done so.

To think Syria, Iran, and/or an AXIS between them can stand militarily in the wake of all out war with the Army of the Free World is delusional at best.

That the United States, Britain, the ALLIES are restrained says much of their character, as truth be told, an all out assault on the region would certainly result in a devastation not witnessed since World War 2, and a complete annhilation of the Arab countries in the region, to believe otherwise is admission of utter stupidity.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I find it interesting that there are a large number of people pointing to the UN Resolution 'ordering Syria out of Lebanon', when quite a lot of them probably dont know much more than a UN Resolution was passed.

The Lebanese government is not concerned about Syrian presence, and was not involved in the Resolution at all. This call from France and the US for Syrian withdrawl is a blatant intereference into the internal politics of the region, and weaken the area.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Large numbers of people are gathering in the Lebanese capital Beirut for a demonstration in support of Syria's role in the country.

The demonstration has been called by pro-Syrian, left-wing and Arab nationalist organisations, including Shia Muslim militant group Hezbollah.

The protest's organisers said they hoped one million people would attend.

Many citizens are angry at a recent UN Security Council resolution calling on Syrian troops to leave Lebanon.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Lebanon said the call set a "dangerous precedent of interference".

news.bbc.co.uk...

The resolution had urged Syria to withdraw 17,000 troops from Lebanon.

'Mutual agreement'

But both countries, who have a close political relationship, have indicated the soldiers were there at Beirut's request, Mr Annan said.

Syrian troops were on the ground "at the invitation of Lebanon and that their presence is therefore by mutual agreement," the report said.

Lebanon's defence minister has said Syria will withdraw fully only when the Arab-Israeli conflict ends.

(Yes, I use a lot of BBC News links, primarily because they are a good source and easily searchable articles).

If there is such a fuss about Syria 'occupying' Lebanon (with permission!) then when will there be a UN resolution backed up by similiar pressure on Israel occupying the Golan Heights, the Gaza Strip, the Westbank? If action is taken against Syria for this, then by God the UN Security Council had better be prepared for a storm of criticism.

Look at the resolutions against Israel, against who very little at all has been done!

www.middleeastnews.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

as posted by Richard Price
The Lebanese government is not concerned about Syrian presence...

Can we say "puppet government", courtesy of Syria? No wonder the Lebanese government is not concerned.

The problem with all governments is that they sooner or later cannot ignore the will of the people, though:
Jumblat Pleads with Assad: 'Unchain us, Leave us. You Made us Hate Syria'

Currently, Lebanese opposition groups are coming out of the woodwork and proclaiming that Syria needs to get out of Lebanon.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Syria has made no move to withdraw its troops from Lebanon as demanded by the United Nations after the assassination Monday of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri.

Though the Bush administration has not overtly accused Syria of involvement in the deaths of Hariri and 16 others, U.S. officials have pointed to the attack as a sign that Syria is a source of trouble in a region where democracy is growing.

Syria resists calls to pull out

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sure they do, FredT. Syria insists that before they will pull out of Lebanon, that there are two UN Resolutions that Israel will have to adhere to first.

Typical international political chess, but this too will again backfire on Syria, this you can be assured of.

seekerof

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join