It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch as Dave Grohl is Blown Away by "Kiss Guy"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Diggah

I always have a pick in my wallet.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Loved it! That Kiss Guy is surely in a band of his own, or should be. Amazing!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

In my experience there's a difference between playing guitar and being a guitarist.

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb ? , 6 , 1 one to change it and five to say they could do it quicker.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

In my experience there's a difference between playing guitar and being a guitarist.

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb ? , 6 , 1 one to change it and five to say they could do it quicker.

haha.. well I've never found myself in a position to rip out some tunes at the local store, so I'm the latter I suppose

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Like I said, some folks don't carry cell phones either..

Would you be surprised if someone you knew to be a guitarist had a pick on them?

And I wouldn't carry it to a concert in the hopes of being called on stage either (that's.. silly), but its not unheard of to meet up with some people at a concert that want to jam afterwards.

Basically, the people I know in the "scene," carry a pick because 1) Its common knowledge Pick Gnomes don't go into pockets & 2) they have run into a situation where they wanted a pick and didn't have one.

I'm not basing everything off of that either, but like I said, its brilliant entertainment. And just like in a magic show that asks for volunteers, some will never, ever believe that plants are used.

All the same, if I can kick back with a smile.. I can't say I really care.

I also think its a fantastic way to give exposure to local talent. Doing it every show would give it away, but I hope they do it more often than not.

If it bothers people that it may be scripted, I say: Just ignore that possibility.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

I always have a pick in my wallet.

I should do that. At least I'll have something of value in it for more than a day haha..

Nothing worse than losing your last pick though. Made me go and buy an acoustic just so I could pluck. And that was a mistake, suddenly my electric was a foreign thing, heavy, strings too close, but it's like riding a bicycle. You never forget. But like strings, you do get rusty.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Basically, the people I know in the "scene," carry a pick because 1) Its common knowledge Pick Gnomes don't go into pockets & 2) they have run into a situation where they wanted a pick and didn't have one.

I carry my own because I'm kind of particular about my brand and gauge. As far as Pick Gnomes, those little S.O.B.'s are unstoppable! Kinda the guitar world's version of the sock-eating dryer.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Like I said, some folks don't carry cell phones either..

Would you be surprised if someone you knew to be a guitarist had a pick on them?

And I wouldn't carry it to a concert in the hopes of being called on stage either (that's.. silly), but its not unheard of to meet up with some people at a concert that want to jam afterwards.

I'd not thought of that. Sounds fair. I remember seeing metallica once many years ago, and after we all went to a local pub to watch a metallica cover band, who'd also been to the concert. Makes sense that people pumped up from a performance would enjoy a session after.

I'm not too sure about the pick gnome part. I've got mine always in the same spot and there have been occasions where they've just vanished into the bermuda pick triangle, never to be found again. And then there are times when I've been so broke, I've dug into my jeans and found a tenner. I think those gnomes toy with us, despite things..

I'm not basing everything off of that either, but like I said, its brilliant entertainment. And just like in a magic show that asks for volunteers, some will never, ever believe that plants are used.

All the same, if I can kick back with a smile.. I can't say I really care.

Agree. I did enjoy the vid, why I looked up more, found the different angle (closer to Kiss Guy) and it still gave me a smile. And seriously, if it is genuine (not saying it's not) then that guy is already in a band for sure. Or was. He'll be headhunted by someone now, because he was simply taking ownership of that guitar on the fly. His timing didn't seem to faulter once.

I also think its a fantastic way to give exposure to local talent. Doing it every show would give it away, but I hope they do it more often than not.

If it bothers people that it may be scripted, I say: Just ignore that possibility.

I have heard that the FF do this a lot, and some are terrible. I've never heard of a band doing this. I can imagine metallica doing it once, and the guitarist putting kirk to shame, lars would have put an end to that quick sticks. No one up stages his enlisted troop!! lol

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

They're a damn nightmare!

A pocket seems to be the only real defense, but the ballsy ones can still get 'em. The less picks you have, the more merciless they become.

I'm pretty.. picky.. too. I really prefer Jazz picks in general, and a nice Primetone 1.4mm sculpted plectra specifically.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Try carrying one on you! Many seem to like the wallet, but I like that little pocket in the front, called a watch pocket or something.

I've also noticed when I carry one, its more on the forefront of my mind. So, subtle hints that may have gone unnoticed have led to some good times.

I still suck, but.. šŸ¤· ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

And.. it seems the gnomes are learning. Don't fall for it!

I have little doubt kiss guy was/is in a band, or at least has plenty of experience playing in that environment. He received/gave cues quite well from what I saw. While I singled it out, my favorite part was actually the exchange about the pick

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Brilliant. Loved it. Thank you. Sooo much!

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I got goosebumps watching this. I've always
liked Dave for his humanity and presence
on stage. Good on you for the post chief.

He should've crashed Daves guitar
at the end.

edit on Rpm42118v35201800000040 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Pretty awesome. I've liked FF since their first album (which helped keep me sane in Japan), but pretty much stopped following them until recently, and have never seen them live.

Excited to get to see them next Saturday, though.

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

That was #in epic!!!! - cheers man........

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Got to love the foo fighters, one of my all-time favorite bands to see live....

posted on Apr, 21 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
www.yayo.artistintersect.com...

seems to be an accomplished musician.....

posted on Apr, 22 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Kiss guy is getting laid tonight! Lol.
Not the biggest FF fan(personally i prefer heavier progressive djent'y hooky pioneer styings )but have always liked Dave, one of those rare types who is just REAL.... Was stoked to see him carry the flame after Kurt lost his head....

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I have exactly 3 arguments against the setup theory, listed below in alphanumeric order from ZeršŸ…¾ļø to Z, and then back again from ā™¾ to šŸ…°ļø:

1st, it would be too easy to uncover the truth. The risk:reward ratio does not work out in their favor, and,

B, whether many here are into them or not, (I think they are good, but not quite good enough to be one of my favorites...a little too, I dunno...bland?) I PROMISE you they are going in the rock hall of fame. All they have to do is coast into their old age, maybe put out a few more decent songs, and rely heavily on their back catalog. There is really no need to pull these stunts.

Here is a little blurb from Wikipedia about their most recent album, released Sept 15, 2017. About 7 months and one week ago. It's called "Concrete And Gold"

The album became the band's second to debut at number one on theĀ BillboardĀ 200, moving 127,000Ā album-equivalent unitsĀ and selling 120,000 copies in its first week in the United States. The album also debuted at number one on twelve other national album charts, such as the United KingdomĀ Official Albums ChartĀ and AustralianĀ ARIA Albums Chart.Ā SinglesĀ from the album also found success; "Run" and "The Sky Is a Neighborhood" both peaked at number one at theĀ BillboardMainstream Rock SongsĀ chart.

It almost seems like... It's not possible for them, or any band, to become "more" successful. They are already on the top of the world. "Made it, ma! Top o the world!"

And finally, the idea that its strange that he had a pick in his pocket, is ludicrous.

Also, he was probably jamming with some friends before the show. He obviously plays a Lot.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I do suspect this was a planned incident.. and I loved it all the same.

Thanks for posting!

I see Dave addresses it later but the guy ends up on stage with a pick, cues the band in and plays the exact same song as them and even just happens to know the custom changes for the set...

C'mon.....Enjoyable but hardly unexpected...
edit on 23-4-2018 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I agree ,a setup would be too easy to uncover and only do damage to their rep. No reason whatsoever that they would waste their time with that. My feeling is that Yayo, while being a very talented and motivated musician in his own right, is also a big FF fan. Of course he would know the songs, most guys at his level know and could play most any popular song especially in the same or similar genre to his own stuff. My guess is he knew he was going to be down front and their penchant for involving fans, and was ready to rock if the chance arose.
I know guys just like him who could (and would) do that in a heartbeat. There's tons of real talent out there that never get the brass ring and not for lack of trying. Hopefully this helps raise his profile and increases his odds of making it! Made me a fan for sure.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join