It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top LGBT-Rights Lawyer Commits Suicide by Igniting Himself in NYC.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's just natural selection at its finest! Farewell dumbass!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
if only we had common sense gas laws, to keep people with mental problems from being allowed to buy gas.

wonder if he was on any medications for his obvious mental problems? meds that possibly helped make him kill himself?

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Darwin award.

His mind went mad dealing with demon possessed people on a daily basis, non gender specific......think about it.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
Being a martyr is the cowards way out. Literally no one cares about him nor his plea.

In fact I’m going to gas up the street bike and waste some petroleum in his name.

Stay safe and don’t crash, it would be awful if your callous attitude towards other wrought karma down upon you.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm the first to crack a joke, well, not in this thread
but I find it quite disturbing the jokes being made at the expense of this guy. He was an LGBT leader. I guess that makes him a target for our heartless hard right wingers here. Keep it up. It shows everyone what you're made of.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
April 14, 2018

You'd think that Mr. Buckel would have wanted to continue living and fighting for Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender rights. Maybe he met his goals in that area and turned to his second passion...the environment. Still, suicide doesn't fix problems like living and fighting for solutions can. Especially by an experienced lawyer.

A prominent LGBT rights lawyer died after setting himself on fire in Brooklyn's Prospect Park on Saturday.

David Buckel, 60, killed himself after sending messages to multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, explaining his intention to set himself on fire to protest the world's usage of fossil fuels at the expense of the environment.

“Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather,” Buckel wrote the Times in an email. “Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result — my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”
Much More, Including Reactions, at: thehill.com...

As you see in the article, people who knew David Buckel are genuinely shocked. It's sad how so many people are close to committing suicide, but never utter a word about it to anyone. God puts every single one of us here in this life for a reason! (Could "to commit suicide" be a reason?)

-CareWeMust

So he killed himself by using burning fossil fuels to protest burning fossil fuels.....alright then..makes sense.

Why in the # would you do that...someone lit himself on fire here a couple weeks ago...what a stupid #ing way to kill yourself...
edit on 15/4/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
He was an LGBT leader.

Lets hope not, hey.

First I ever heard of him. He wasn't no David Hogg.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
By the way, what did the moron use to set himself on fire??? FOSSIL FUELS!!!

Oh the irony ROFL!!!!

Good riddance...!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Should be more to the story.
David Buckel was a gifted attorney working for Lambda legal defense.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

but I find it quite disturbing the jokes being made at the expense of this guy. He was an LGBT leader. I guess that makes him a target for our heartless hard right wingers here. Keep it up. It shows everyone what you're made of.

And... it only took three pages for someone to bring up right wing politics. They were probably to blame too!

If we want to bring politics into it, why not point out that as a leftie he was probably mentally ill anyways?

After all, he proved it in the most painful way possible.

/facepalm

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I thought everyone was crumbing on him because he was a lwyer.
Something like, "what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?" A good start.

I was going to point out how ironic it was for the nut to create an open fire without an EPA permit and how this environmentalist polluted the air with carbon.
I actually forgot he was lgbt until you mentioned it.

Just like the lawyer part being relevant I see the lgbt thingy passe and so yesterdays news I didn't even think about that aspect to the story and it being irrelevant to the actual story, which to me is the environmental lawyer breaking EPA laws to make a point.
The 2nd part of the story could be that even this lawyer knew his glory days in the lgbt movement are in the waning stages and he needed a new thing to be relevant himself

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bulwarkz

Yeah, I got the irony too, big fan of irony but the circumstances here should not lead to vicious humor.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Monks have been known to sit still during self immolation. It may not be painful depending on your state of mind, but I won't test that theory.

I dunno man, Confucius say:

Dumb monk sit and burn,
Smart monk put fire out.

Confucianism and Buddhism are 2 different philosophies... So May We 'ass/U/Me' that in the scenario provided, Confucius is just cruising by and throws out an adage?? It wouldn't be a Koan; again 2 different 'things' But by Me "naming it" I'm bringing in a 3rd philosophy, The Tao...

Either way, who wants to bet I'll be hungry a half hour after eating????

Stay Hydrated...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The Universe seeks Balance. He shall reincarnate as a toilet plunger. Tis the price of suicide.
a reply to: carewemust

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
You can't deny his dedication. Not many people would go to those lengths to send a message. I don't condone suicide but my hat goes off to him for dying for a cause he believed in, whether I agree with that cause or not. Burning to death is the most painful way to go, he has my respect in that regard.

I can. One less person to fight for a cause. Now, he'll just be a story for 24hrs. Then, no one to anyone but close friends and family.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
NOTE -

Please remember you are not in a forum where political trolling is allowed.

Do not reply to this message. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Condolences to the family and friends.

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
You can't deny his dedication. Not many people would go to those lengths to send a message. I don't condone suicide but my hat goes off to him for dying for a cause he believed in, whether I agree with that cause or not. Burning to death is the most painful way to go, he has my respect in that regard.

But how do you go from a LGBT rights lawyer to killing oneself over fossil fuel? At some point crazy is just crazy...

edit on 15-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Fermy
Didn't you read all the OP? Or was it just that you comprehend it?

Did you miss

[...] my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves
?

How hard is that to understand?

posted on Apr, 15 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

While I may disagree with what he did, he does have a point:

“Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather,”

And sadly we as species are slowly destroying the environment.

There was a thread created earlier this month discussing about how our oceans is filled with plastics.
edit on 4/15/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join