It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media addiction and anxiety

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I read time and time again from ATS members criticising 'mindless drones' and 'millenials' addicted to social media, but I log on to ATS today and no less than 30 new threads in Board Business & Questions almost desperate because the site is having problems.
30? Really?
Obviously something went wrong, but so many threads asking essentially the same?

First thing I did was check MSM, realised there was no end of the world doom, and then chuckled to myself reading the almost desperate threads because our beloved ATS was having issues.

So, to the people who berate facebook users for using their chosen platform of social media, what about the ATS users who freaked out? Are they superior to FB users? Is your ATS addiction any less than the 20 year old 'liking' memes every 5 minutes?

Genuine question, because it seems that because we are 'anonymous' on ATS, many members seem to think this is some sort of platform which is more 'mature' and 'above' facebook users.
I see the same in other forum type social media, but cannot really discuss them as I believe it is against T&C's, but it is certainly the case, if you are a regular on any digital medium platform then you are as wrapped up in it all as any other social media user. You're just in denial.

All thoughts welcome.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have a relative who runs a county jail. Cellphone addiction is getting worse than drugs. The withdrawals in jail are nearly the same and it is causing lots of problems. The good news is the cops can tease you about it because it's not a recognized health issue yet. People are more than willing to get in trouble for a phone just like getting caught with drugs

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
killswitch tests

get ready

they will get you one way or another

😉

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell
Same in the UK, but they are smuggled in easily enough, from dodgy prison officers to the use of drones.

a reply to: xuenchen
Lol, maybe!

If any site goes down or has problems then I always go to the BBC website to see how it loads. The day the BBC site goes down is when I'd start thinking Hmm...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I think addiction to tech, be it Internet or video games, has a huge impact on the disconnection of young people today.
I interview people of all ages for my job and the younger the people are the harder it is for them to hold a conversation. Not all of course but a much higher percentage.

I've had several pull out their cell phones in the middle of a five minute interview.
They don't get hired.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Age definitely is a factor. I see groups of young people walking together and all looking at screens instead of talking to each other.
I often wonder are they actually messaging each other while they walk instead.
It is such a distraction trying to hold a conversation with some people who keep checking their 'screen' though, I absolutely agree.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I panicked and soiled myself when I couldn't post.

Well, I soiled myself when I couldn't post.

Okay. I had an accident. Didn't have time for ATS.

Happy now???

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

LMAO!

...could it be age related though? That would be a good excuse.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
for real, that was borderline hysteria.

servers go down sometimes, people. don't lose your little minds.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

They do this during job interviews.
I can't imagine how much it would happen on the job if I hired them.

The problem isn't really their fault either. They honestly don't know they're doing anything wrong. Kids are a product of their environment.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more! So many people went bonkers!

I thought it was hilarious.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wait...so people thought ATS being down was the end of the world??

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It doesn't bother Me but then again I don't have the internet...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That blows me away to be honest, in a job interview?!
You couldn't make it up.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I read time and time again from ATS members criticising 'mindless drones' and 'millenials' addicted to social media, but I log on to ATS today and no less than 30 new threads in Board Business & Questions almost desperate because the site is having problems.
30? Really?
Obviously something went wrong, but so many threads asking essentially the same?

First thing I did was check MSM, realised there was no end of the world doom, and then chuckled to myself reading the almost desperate threads because our beloved ATS was having issues.

So, to the people who berate facebook users for using their chosen platform of social media, what about the ATS users who freaked out? Are they superior to FB users? Is your ATS addiction any less than the 20 year old 'liking' memes every 5 minutes?

Genuine question, because it seems that because we are 'anonymous' on ATS, many members seem to think this is some sort of platform which is more 'mature' and 'above' facebook users.
I see the same in other forum type social media, but cannot really discuss them as I believe it is against T&C's, but it is certainly the case, if you are a regular on any digital medium platform then you are as wrapped up in it all as any other social media user. You're just in denial.

All thoughts welcome.

LOL, I was going to post the same thing when I saw all the threads this morning. Just decided not to bother. Those that saw it didn't need a thread written about it to point it out. I was going to point out how this place is supposed to be "different" and that posters here are supposed to be "smarter" than the average drooling fool on facebook. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It would actually be nice if ATS was down for a few weeks(no offense to ownership). It would give some of the daily, 4 thread a day, criers a little dose and maybe kick them into recovery(after a day or two of intense withdrawal).

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

So you post on an internet website without using the internet?

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I did the second one, because it was the only way to tell the first complainant that his own machine was not at fault.
But I was also the one who discovered the "edit your own thread as a way of answering other people" trick, which may have reduced the mass a little.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I can't imagine how much it would happen on the job if I hired them.

The problem isn't really their fault either. They honestly don't know they're doing anything wrong. Kids are a product of their environment.

I had a younger guy that I had hired that was starting to use his cellphone way too much. You can USE it on the job since it is essentially one of our tools now, but to just stop work to chat with his fiance was getting over the top. So I told him he needed to cut down on the cell phone. His reply?

"You can't tell me what to do and not do with my phone. You don't pay for it!"

So now he has a lot more time to use it between job interviews.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I looked at those threads and with one exception they were to inform about and assist in trying to determine the problem. No biggie there. Happens every time the site goes down. Not saying this addiction to social media doesn't exist but it's aimed at the wrong people here.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
Lol, a few weeks of no ATS?!
I can only imagine the dark horrors of that withdrawal...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join