It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"A quiet Place" movie Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Disclaimer This review might have spoilers. ( how do you do a proper review without spoilers?)

Hi everybody this is your favorite wanna be Horror movie critic. I am going to be reviewing the much acclaimed movie "A quiet Place". I will just start out with what everyone has already said " Who would have thought Jim from the office could direct a Horror movie". Yes Jim from the Office did do this movie and actually did an awesome job in my opinion.

Now to the movie. This is a great movie. this is a great movie for people who are not fans of horror to see. I would say if know anyone who is into character building and being able to connect with characters this would be a good movie for them. You are immediately drawn into the families emotional struggles of surviving and there family dynamics. I thought the film did a great job of being able to drive points home and get you the audience to look at things without saying this is whats important. I thought the acting in this was superb especially from the young actors. I think with a movie with out words your asking an actor to do a lot. and I thought they did a good job of pulling me in and making me care about their struggle. Now this movie did not rank among the best current modern day horror movies for me. It doesn't make it to the level of the Conjuring or Sinister. there were not enough scares for me. And there wasn't a creepiness factor. there was nothing unsettling for me to after the movie. With that said I thought the movie did a masterful job of using sounds for the scares. There were a couple heart beating moments. But I think all of the horror is washed away by the emotional pull the viewer has for the family.

In Closing This is a great movie for even those who don't really enjoy horror movies. Your senses are almost opened up to some thing new. I recommend it. I guess i will be waiting next for "Hereditary" which is supposed to the scariest movie of the year, the Bell of the Ball so to speak.

edit on 7-4-2018 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

just saw this last night, i was blown away. it built amazing atmosphere and tension, enough to quell even a rowdy opening-night theater, full of people and half-full of teenagers.

we were spellbound.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Oh, I forgot to say that at the show I was at everyone respected the piece and was completely silent. Hopefully others will get to go to showings that people know to be quiet at.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

in the first three minutes, someone giggled.. it sounded like they couldn't even help it. but they were thoroughly shushed, and for most of the rest of the film people were SO QUIET. like hardly even popcorn bag rustling or throat-clearing. it was amazing.

of course, there were a few moments where everyone spontaneously laughed in relief, or gasped... and at the end, the theater applauded. it was pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Thanks, i can always use a recommendation for a juicy horror movie!

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Movie was great, it left alot of unanswered questions though.

Where did they come from? Were they aliens? Engineered?

Sounds are everywhere, how did they know the difference between a human making a sound and a tree falling in the woods?

Why were they killing all the humans but not eating them or anything?

I'd like to see one of those things try and slice through a tank. Or take a .50 cal round to the face.

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Yeah I think all those questions would make for a good sequel. I mean at the end there was at least some resolve to fight back as oppose to run.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Another movie with no originality.

Too similar to Extinction, and that other one.

Where that family hide out in a fallout shelter.

Can't remember it's name for some odd reason.

Hidden was it's name.,
edit on 11-4-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Watch it again and look closely at all the newspaper clippings in the basement scenes. Some of those questions are answered.

a reply to: neo96

Plenty of movies where people are hiding out from some type of disaster/fallout/invasion.

Don't remember many being based on the premise of not making ANY sound otherwise you will immediately be honed in on and killed.
edit on 11-4-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I saw that movie it was not very original it was done well and the acting was superb.

Yet the ending reminded me to much of the movie “signs”

I actually liked signs more.

I give a quiet place 3 out of 4 stars. The acting was the crutch that held the movie up the story not so much..

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The ingredient that puts this very effective little horror gem over the top is Emily Blunt. Thousands of actresses have played women in peril in horror movies, but Blunt shows you the value of shelling out for one from the A-List.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Thaank you for your review

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Thanks for the review.

Note: This review DOES contain spoilers.

I watched this last night for the first, having never heard of it. I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere, the lack of sound, the characters, everything was very real considering it's a horror film. I'm not a fan of over the top action or CGI laden movies, and even though the creatures were CG, their appearance was so sparse that it was fine. The lack of spoken language or any sound was very pleasing to me.

One thing that I started to wonder, plot-wise, is if the family knew that louder sounds can mask their own (such as the river and water fall scenes), why they didn't either move somewhere closer to one (such as a roaring river), or create a constant diversion/distraction like with the fireworks. I guess any *new* sound would be seen as suspect by the creatures, but natural sound that has already been in place...

At the end, which I liked, without knowing how many creatures there were, only the "three confirmed," I wondered how many there actually were, and if there would be enough ammunition to kill them all. I was ultimately reminded of Mars Attacks.

I too am interested in a prequel, how the population first learned of them and how the creatures first started preying sounds, and did they simply kill them, or eat them....?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Watch it again and look closely at all the newspaper clippings in the basement scenes. Some of those questions are answered.

Perhaps, but still...as one mentioned....like to see them slice through a tank.

Like another mentioned, as soon as I saw the waterfall bit, I'm like...."hey moron...move to the falls!"

And yeah, like she's not crying out in child birth, or able to keep a newborn quiet....c'mon....

top topics

join