It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End Depression by sleeping less

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
One day a week I'm sleep deprived due to work, I have to wake up very early one day a week. That day I notice I have random good feelings, tired but I feel mentally very satisfied all day and abnormally optimistic.

I do not suffer from depression or anxiety normally anyway but days with less sleep result in a happier attitude than normal.

I started thinking that sleep levels and depression may be linked, when I got home I googled it.

Study after study confirm what I just told you! If you suffer from depression then you should sleep less every day.
You may actually be depressed because you're sleeping too much.

Go a few days on 5 hours of sleep and report back on changes.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

It's the adrenaline rush! Don't trust it! Mankind was not meant to function on sleep deprivation!

Sleep! Sleep! Sleeeeeep!

edit on 5-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

It's the adrenaline rush! Don't trust it! Man was not meant to function on sleep deprivation!

Sleep! Sleep! Sleeeeeep!

5 hours isn't sleep deprivation as I suggested, it's plenty to function properly but you'll be a little tired.

There is no biological law stating that we need 8 hours of sleep, that's the biggest myth in health, not supported by all medical studies.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Go by what your body says.

And here's a secret I bet few know about: It's not about how many hours you sleep, it's about sleeping when your body wants to sleep. Restorative sleep only happens at certain hours for your body. Each person is unique in this respect.

Your 5 hours may be happening during your restorative period.

Do you experience any REM rebound? If so, your brain is sleep deprived.

edit on 5-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Shhh. How are doctors and Pharma companies going to make sales if you tell people how to stop getting depressed. The doctors and CEOs will get all depressed if people find this out..

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I run a business. There is no sleep.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I found maximum good feeling is around 6 at night, and a hourish nap in the late afternoon. I never feel overtired, its a nice seperation of the day to night cycle, and it feels natural.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
My cat sleeps twenty hours a day and he is one fat, happy, furry bastard.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Amen to that!! Even when I do sleep, it’s not solid restful sleep. Im going to have to get a government union job if I want rest I guess. a reply to: SR1TX

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I found that it was directly linked to my activity level at work. When my wife and I had our first child I switched jobs to something more stressful but with flexible working hours (still do 8 hours a day minimum) and a little bit more pay.

I didnt think I would last long in a stressful environment and helping with the night feeds, but almost 3 years on I am still in the same job, I do between 40 and 80 hours a week (extra money to spend on big days out) and get between 5-7 hours sleep a night.

Never been happier.

Strange ol world

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I work in a liquor store connected to a bar. Most of my shifts are 11am-8pm. Thursday nights are different because I have to close. That's anywhere from 1am to 2am Friday morn. Then I have to be back at 11am Friday morning. That's why I'm writing this...trying to unwind after karaoke night and the ears are still ringing.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
circadian rhythm.... lack thereof makes the world's population feel like #. Science... its real.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
I work in a liquor store connected to a bar. Most of my shifts are 11am-8pm. Thursday nights are different because I have to close. That's anywhere from 1am to 2am Friday morn. Then I have to be back at 11am Friday morning. That's why I'm writing this...trying to unwind after karaoke night and the ears are still ringing.

Should rock out on the mic!

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Based on this theory I should be the happiest bastard alive.
More study is needed.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Bastard cat. I'm jealous.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
As someone who barely sleeps, because of my wife's demon snoring, I can say your theory is wrong.
I am depressed and angry all the time, because of my lack of sleep.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yeah, I dunno about that. I suffer terrible insomnia. Sleep for me is at best 3 hours, broken. And I suffer depression. Unless you just mean feeling down, and not actually depressed. Where everything is wrong, the past, the present and the future, where every decision has been wrong, where your life has passed by and you're still nothing. And all you to look forward to is getting frailer and frailer till you are incapacitated enough that you're wheeled into a home, or a hospice, to take your ticket and wait your turn to the end of everything.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I've operated on approx 6 hours most if my life..

Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher both famously only slept very few hours a night..

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Best bet, and dont want to be "that guy". Find someone to open up to, someone who listens, doesnt judge but instantly forgets everything once you have finished.

I have had 2 extended family members open up to me about their depression, the fact that I actually listened and didnt keep going "its going to be ok" actually helped them to find a root cause and they have since both gone on to be happier.

But for the life of me I have no idea what they said to me... and I was sober.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I agree with this theory, but as with all things, there is no blanketed, all encompassing right way for everyone. I don’t sleep enough at all. Small business, really small actually, like just me. I’m a wannabe Mario brother minus the mustache. Lots of digging and crawling under houses. More physical than people think. Thing is, I’m a night person. That’s when my creativity comes alive. Most nights it’s 4-6 hrs. Others it’s 2. Then by Saturday night I’ll crash for 12. It’s not healthy but I feel the best mentally after a night of partying and no sleep. My filters turn off and I’m the truest me. Physically though, I’m best when I wake up when my body is ready to wake up. The lack of consistent, regimented, sleep and lifestyle does not bode well for longevity. People who live really long lives seem to have consistent meal times and sleep patterns. Screw the whimper, I’m more of a bang, sleep when you’re dead kind of guy. Blowin my money and enjoying my dwindling youth. I can make money as long as I’m alive, but youth is priceless and most don’t appreciate or take full advantage until it’s in the rear view mirror, wishing it was still in their grasp. Not me friendo, life is too short for moderation, and way too fleeting, so drive fast, spend your money and time on experiences and memories, the rest is just stuff. Either plastic, wood or metal and those things are unnecessary to love and happiness. Crap, another 2am rant about sheeeot that takes a backseat to survival and bills in the morning. Rage against the dying of the light!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join