It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Junk vs. Antiques

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I worked small gold track mines for years and most of the mining equipment was over 75 years old and i could still get it to run.
And i found i could still get parts for the old equipment from Canada and Australia and even paying for shipping it cost less then New underground mining equipment
www.tripadvisor.com...

The new mining equipment i could get was so big it required the tunnels in the mines to be enlarged for it to fit.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well, lots of people seem to move around a lot these days. It's not like the old days so much when a chair had to be made well because it was going to sit in the same spot for 40 years and be the only chair they'd ever buy.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Here's something to think about:
They make phones that have gorilla glass, withstand scratches, a few can take a pounding-

And they are rendered worthless in less than 5 years. The new one I got- It's being superseded by a new version later this year.

Things are made to break so more stuff can be bought. Nothing has worth any more.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Farm auctions that's where the good stuff is at. That is what I have found. I also have made some of my own furniture.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

Here's something to think about:
They make phones that have gorilla glass, withstand scratches, a few can take a pounding-

And they are rendered worthless in less than 5 years. The new one I got- It's being superseded by a new version later this year.

Things are made to break so more stuff can be bought. Nothing has worth any more.

Well, it's actually kind of comical when they make a phone that has a 3 year battery out of bulletproof material. That's market forces. People like to feel like they're buying something that won't break the first time they drop it.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a phone that can take a beating and the battery never wears out and the software is never out of date. Then it might be worth $800. Until then, I'll use a $50 disposable phone.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You ever Find a $45-$55 item. Then the seller breaks out a book with a picture of the Item saying $200-$400. One day people will be doing this with IKEA made products. It's in the book.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

They used to have phones that were almost indestructible, the original flip phones from Motorola and bar phones from Nokia. They were both expensive but they lasted a very long time, unfortunately we know longevity is not something cell phone makers wants us to have.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MajorAce
You ever Find a $45-$55 item. Then the seller breaks out a book with a picture of the Item saying $200-$400. One day people will be doing this with IKEA made products. It's in the book.

I can buy an item at a garage sale, list it on ebay with my iphone, sell it and make a profit before I get home....

and make a few bucks on shipping.

my specialty is musical instruments....
edit on 19-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The lead free solder they use on electronics for the last 15 years has cut the life of some electronics to less then 5 years before it grows whiskers.

Great if used in non life threatening electronics like essential medical and monitoring equipment airplanes and nuclear power plants.
www.aviationtoday.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have purchased old gardening tools and they will surely outlast me. For example, a simple hand shovel today is made of plastic, or at best with a wooden handle, both easily breakable. I have one that the entire thing is metal! It is still light, and feels good to use.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I was out shopping today, yes in a real brick and mortar store! I am just amazed by all the junk, firstly how much is just unnecessary stuff, secondly, how much of it is so poorly made. Furniture that weighs 20lbs!

I have been collecting antiques for a long long time, I know it is out of style right now. When I look at some of my antiques I see that even the most lowly item, like a simple box or basket is so well made, with thought and longevity. (same with houses) I know there is a machine that needs to be fed these days, but what cracks me up, is that people are decorating their houses with Antique replicas is that actually cost more than the real antiques that would last for generations. People don't know that real baskets can last 50 years or more! It is amazing how long real stuff can last. These young folks have no clue how crappy their stuff is, totally disposable everything.

The other thing that really disturbs me is how much of it is plastic, even most of our clothing is plastic now. I've been watching some documentaries on old farming methods. Everything was natural back then, even rugs, and when they lost their usefulness in the house they could be simply composted in the garden without ill effect.

I know this is the downside of progress and there are many benefits, but it seems like we are just living in such a wasteful unnatural state.

If I don't make the furniture, I buy it from Amish furniture cabinetmakers. I visit Ohio around Millersburg, Berlin, Walnut Creek, etc. Homestead Furniture in Mt. Hope will ship anywhere. They contract with people who do nothing but deliver their furniture and will place it in your location without damaging the furniture or anything else. The advantage is that 1" Cherry is 1" solid cherry. If you have a space that is 34.5" instead of 36" they just make it to size and can add any type of door, drawer, or shelf that you ask for. In-house design staff will help. Costs are comparable with better mass produced furniture. If you want native hardwood lumber to make your own, Yoder Lumber has over half-million board feet at all times.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join