It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient statue of Nubian king found in Nile River temple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Ancient statue of Nubian king found in Nile River temple

Remains of a 2,600-year-old statue with an inscription written in Egyptian hieroglyphics has been discovered in a temple at Dangeil, an archaeological site along the Nile River in Sudan.
www.foxnews.com...

Found in an ancient temple dedicated to the Egyptian god Amun, the statue depicts Aspelta, who was the ruler of the Kush kingdom between 593 B.C. and 568 B.C. Some of Aspelta's predecessors had ruled Egypt, located to the north of Kush. Though Aspelta didn't control Egypt, the inscription says (in translation) that he was "King of Upper and Lower Egypt" and was "Beloved of Re'-Harakhty" (a form of the Egyptian sun god "Re") and that Aspelta was "given all life, stability and dominion forever

Aspelta's predecessor lost Egypt but he and his descendants, still regarded Egypt as theirs , they couldn't overcome the new Mediterranean powers militarily to make it happen, although they did sponsored turmoils within Egypt from the time of Persian occupied Egypt through Greek and then Roman dominance, while outwardly engaging them in peaceful trade and diplomacy they undermined them secretly.

The new Mediterranean powers on their part recognized the threat, but also realized taking the fight to them would be costly, the Persians found this out followed by the Romans, the Ptolemaic Greeks wisely didn't even bother.

It would take another regional power further south called Axum (today's Eritrea and Ethiopia) to finally bring them to heel, although the environment played it's part.

Side note ,his pyramid at the royal burial site in Nuri is the largest.

edit on 24-2-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate this kind of thing. When I think of Egypt, I think of Moses. But it's cool to see the history of things that for some reason, have been hidden from us for a time.
edit on 24-2-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate this kind of thing. When I think of Egypt, I think of Moses. But it's cool to see the history of things that for some reason, have been hidden from us for a time.

Oh there is so much more to it than Moses, and so much more to other Nile valley civilizations than just the Egyptian state, which is neither the first Pharaonic state or the last, but it is the state we are most familiar.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

"Caaan you DIG IT!?"

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Oh there is so much more to it than Moses, and so much more to other Nile valley civilizations than just the Egyptian state, which is neither the first Pharaonic state or the last, but it is the state we are most familiar.

There was trade between the Nubians and the Egyptians where the Nubians would mine gold, and sell it to the Egyptians who would then make shiny jewellry and sell it back to them.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
A fascinating read, and a wonderful find. I could spend hours reading about the history and rulers of Ancient Egyptian times. I'm a little behind on the Nubian side of things but I'm learning all the time.
I often wonder what else is hidden under the sands.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

..."Nubia was home to some of Africa’s earliest kingdoms. Known for rich deposits of gold, Nubia was also the gateway through which luxury products like incense, ivory, and ebony traveled from their source in sub-Saharan Africa to the civilizations of Egypt and the Mediterranean. Archers of exceptional skill provided the military strength for Nubian rulers. Kings of Nubia ultimately conquered and ruled Egypt for about a century. Monuments still stand—in modern Egypt and Sudan—at the sites where Nubian rulers built cities, temples, and royal pyramids"...

oi.uchicago.edu...

This seems to validate your OP in content. I was dismissive at first, expecting another race claim of Ancient Heritage.

Additionally I have never seen the pyramids pictured. Indeed steep.
edit on 24-2-2018 by Plotus because: life is life....

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

There was trade between the Nubians and the Egyptians where the Nubians would mine gold, and sell it to the Egyptians who would then make shiny jewellry and sell it back to them.

Well not quite, the Egyptians would sell them that good Mediterranean wine and other stuff, the Nubians were surprisingly major arms dealers including horses and chariots, I was planning to make a thread on it

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Well not quite, the Egyptians would sell them that good Mediterranean wine and other stuff, the Nubians were surprisingly major arms dealers including horses and chariots, I was planning to make a thread on it

Please do - it would be fascinating if someone could draw up a world trade map of those times. Everything from trade between China and the Roman Empire/Mediterranean via the Silk Road for silk and spices, trade between Egypt, Nubia and the rest of Africa.

new topics

top topics

join