It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does more guns = safer....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Good afternoon ATS...

Just a quick one this....

I am keen to see the responses.... I hear often that the way to make American society safer is more guns, arm the teachers, arm everyone!

Tell me, if more guns = safer, why is America not the safest country in the world already? If more guns = safer then life in America should be a dream right now...

PA

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Just say everyone was armed. Would everyone shooting at everyone else during a frantic attack really be safer?

I'm thinking no.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PerfectAnomoly

not more guns, but guns in the right places might.
Why do countries that also have guns, not have the same rate of school shooting we do here?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Why do countries that also have guns, not have the same rate of school shooting we do here?

I would posit because they prevalence of guns in those countries is nowhere near the levels in the US, but I also don't know which countries you are specifically referring too.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Very good point... One that I have used myself before...

PA

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Does more guns = Safer.

Over 300 million guns in this country less than .01% is used in committed a crime that's already in violation of existing law.

Answer No.

Does more laws = Safer?

Answer No.

Because there will always be a small segment of the population that doesn't obey the law.

edit on 23-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's a perfect storm of the American Psyche and lots of firearms easily available...

"Cops" and the American media have fed you violence for years... No wonder you all think someone is trying to kill you and your family...

Narcissism also has a lot to do with it...

PA

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Does more guns = Safer.

Over 300 million guns in this country less than .01% is used in committed a crime that's already in violation of existing law.

Answer No.

Does more laws = Safer?

Answer No.

Because there will always be a small segment of the population that doesn't obey the law.

So, all emotion aside. What do you do to combat the plague of shootings in your Country?

Or do you just shrug it off, as long as you have your rights intact?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

It's already against the GD law.

Beyond that?

Ban people.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

So, all emotion aside.

Then you say:

The implication being that if one treasures his rights then that person is heartless.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

how do you know so much about the US?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

So, all emotion aside.

Then you say:

The implication being that if one treasures his rights then that person is heartless.

It was an honest question.

So, beyond trying to use my words against me, what is the answer?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: network dude

I would posit because they prevalence of guns in those countries is nowhere near the levels in the US, but I also don't know which countries you are specifically referring too.

I was thinking any country actually. The US seems to have cornered the market in this area. I know it happens elsewhere, but not at the rate it does here. And the quantity of guns may indeed be a factor. But long before any weapon fires it's first round, somebody has to pick it up, load it, and point it at a person, in order to kill them. Why that person felt it was the right thing to do is where I find my thinking driving towards. Sweden has guns, they don't seem to be killing their kids quite as often. (for a non ambiguous answer)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It's already against the GD law.

Beyond that?

Ban people.

So, do nothing is your answer?

In other words, shrug it off.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Well yes.

I know it sounds bad but most of us here in the united states would rather live in a completely unsafe environment so long as we were free while in it.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Well yes.

I know it sounds bad but most of us here in the united states would rather live in a completely unsafe environment so long as we were free while in it.

And that sounds totally justified and honorable.

But to the outside World, also very stubborn and self destructive.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Our problem is not how many deadly objects we have around us, it's our childishness.

I sincerely believe nicholas cruz would have never become a murder if adults had been around to bond with him.
But nobody really cared. He was just some weirdo. We don't understand human emotion over here the way we should.
If the united states would grow to be more emotionally mature we could bring peace to the world.
I really believe that.

edit on 23-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I am not responsible to what someone else does.

There is laws against it.

There are more laws infringing my rights as it is.

Why are YOU trying to make me answerable to a capital or otherwise infamous crime I have nothing to do with?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

in his defense, the outside world seems to think we are all frightened and narcissistic.
And most of them have never even been here. I suppose that's what they were told to believe by the "news".

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PerfectAnomoly
Good afternoon ATS...

Just a quick one this....

I am keen to see the responses.... I hear often that the way to make American society safer is more guns, arm the teachers, arm everyone!

Tell me, if more guns = safer, why is America not the safest country in the world already? If more guns = safer then life in America should be a dream right now...

PA

You see, that depends on where you live in the US. Most of the US enjoys lower per capita murder rates than most nations of the world.

www.foxnews.com...

68 percent of killings occurring in just 5 percent of the nation’s counties. If the deadliest 5 percent of the counties were removed, the U.S. murder rate would be 2.56 per 100,000 people, the report showed. More than half of last year’s murders occurred in only 2 percent of the nation’s counties.

“While many factors explain these concentrated murders, it is also striking that the counties with zero murders are the counties with by far the highest gun ownership rates,” Lott said.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join