It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streaming revenue and the people who pay to play

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Hi all just recently started watching twitch streamed games and they are pretty much exclusively of fortnite. Regarding the amount new subscriptions and recent donations that I see on some streams, i wonder just how much of that hype can be manufactured.

It just seems crazy to me that people are throwing big dollars on streams when its all available for free.

What I ask is how easy would it be to use throw away accounts or bots to boost the views of a channel or stream and then donate sums of cash from them them to yourself to drum up fake hype?

The amount of money changing hand on twitch for emoji's and the average gamer trying to give pros advice and literally paying to help them no less is insane I think.

Is this really the new trend in games? Paying the pros, just so we can give them our average joe opinion? Not playing ourselves and simply spectating?

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Is this really the new trend in games?

That people watch games instead to play them?

Never got it, it´s like watching sports instead of doing sports by yourself.
Yesterday i watched a video where a Rust player met his favourite streamer in the game and he started to cry because of that... Save mankind before it´s too late!

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Is this really the new trend in games? Paying the pros, just so we can give them our average joe opinion? Not playing ourselves and simply spectating?

It seems so , there are a couple of live streamers I watch on youtube who play PUBG because sometimes when you are sick of getting shot in the face 5 minutes after landing it's more fun to watch someone else get shot in the face 5 minutes after landing and seeing their reaction to it, it's kinda like playing the game by proxy minus the frustration.

Live streamers can be great fun to watch and if you're a gamer it's better than the junk on TV , the best thing (for now) is you don't have to pay to watch the content they provide unless you want to and even then it's just what you want to pay.

I think if they can make a living doing what they love good luck to them.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I love watching streamers...Big fan of Sl1pg8r and Xb. I find that when I'm getting a bit bored with playing, I watch a couple of streams and it hypes me right back up again.....I think it's also good for developers. I've bought a number of games after watching streams.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Well they ruined whole game streaming community stuff already, ofc its just my view but what once was innocent fun even, again turned into seek your 5min fame by any means necessery paradox.. they have these "living rooms" for after gaming and gamers in real life rooms, where they are even 8+ hours on doing sit ups in panties for dollar type of deals and rant about why ppl keep talking about their adultery looks and ways..

Some thinks its all good if its adults selling their own selfs like that, not really good in my opinion but if they really dont have better idea of what is the self then i dunno, but these dummies does this in platform directed for more family aka children too area and its already spreading there, kids realized ppl will donate them too if they show up in panties and have tags for dollar for sit up..

The amount of money flowing these ppl are crazy but sexuality sells, who would have guessed? Yet it shows how degraded our innoncence kinda is and that even its directed towards childrens aswell..........

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

It just seems crazy to me that people are throwing big dollars on streams when its all available for free.

Churches do that too. Welcome to the new religion, Gaming.

ETA: We 'worship' whatever we spend all our time practicing.
edit on 11-2-2018 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I see all kinds of games being streamed on Twitch, sometimes I look around and see if there is something interesting, maybe a game I have not played, and I watch for a bit. I would not donate, I am not on long enough to get involved with the person streaming, and I certainly don't want to watch someone play a game for an hour, when I could be playing one myself.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
whatever happened to recording a demo and uploading it to youtube... is this the future now??

I wanna go back to the real times...

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Yeah its rather scary whats next tech bringing, alternative realities or such that ppl will spend more time than in real living world, wonder what will that do too ppl...

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I normally watch some streams of games if I am interested in getting that particular game.
But there are a few people that I do check in on here and there, just to interact with them a little bit.
I have never donated to anyone though and never would.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I find twitch great, and a substitute for television. Instead of reading a #ing biased review for a game, I can just hit twitch and find someone playing that game and base my own conclusions. And as for making money? Its for entertainment like TV. Which also is paid for by whoever is watching it. E-sports took a long way to get there, but its here to stay as well. For twitch streaming, its not only about games anymore. People teach painting, videoediting, all kinds of stuff you wouldnt learn in school unless for a big price. And most streamers actually interact with their audience, something TV hardly ever do. So if a streamer can make a living doing what he does, kudos to him and her. And especially for the females...they dont have to flap vagina for nickles and dimes. They can just start playing games on twitch with a little cleavage and earn 20 times more.

Got a problem with twitch? Id say you got problems you need to find out more about.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

Obviously its not the good things in question about it but how the same platforms are used too infiltrade harmful agendas in, these are not suppose to be adult entertaining sites after all and centrainly great part of the audience are younger ppl.

Youtube is even worse btw, it has videos for more than 7 years still there that can be and should be declared as pedophilic videos and some of these videos have multiple comments of asking for wheres the youtube cencors etc?!
They play heavily with the recommentation list, what will play next etc, so that parents leaving their children watching some mainstream cartoons ends up with same characters playing really scary stuff, straight up some MK mind control stuff, torture, rape, animal sex and so on evil stuff and they have indeed most high viewer counts, most of em that i checked had over 10m views and their accounts are all over the world, some looks like almost normal families but somehow if you check their videos, read their discussions and think about all these connections leading each other, its very scary and worrying stuff.

Again i am not against all that these platforms could offer and should be used as but really shouldnt there be some sort of guide lines for mixing innocent stuff with straight out destructive stuff with.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yea I feel the same about a lot of the points you raised. The focus and the amount of money that's being funnelled into these streams is just getting crazy.

Why would some give ninjahyper 1000$? The concept is forign too me.

a reply to: romilo

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
That classic days of halo watching Rippon and stkorge1 montages

a reply to: badw0lf

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Why would some give ninjahyper 1000$? The concept is forign too me.

Perhaps to him $1000 is like $10 is to you , he enjoys the content provided by the streamer so throws him a bit of coin.

The guys doing the streaming are doing it because the want to earn a living doing something they're passionate about , good luck to them.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

finally someone that understands why i dont wnjoy watching sports whem i cpuld be out there myself.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I guess for me it's that it's all free to watch threw ads and sponsers. The players are sponsored and run ads to they also compete for cash prizes just like any other athlete in competition.

Comparing stream donating to sport for fun

It's like tracking down the goalie after a hockey game and giving him a fiver because he blocked a shot in third.

More power to them it's obviously working. I can't hate on a guy for making a dollar I suppose

a reply to: gortex

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Exactly. Camwhores come in all kinds of entertainment. The people who dont understand it, are certainly not creators of anything, or produce anything worth paying for.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Created this thread

Boom

a reply to: Jungian

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You seemed to have a misunderstanding what paying for entertainment is. Twitch is just like watching sports on TV; I dont play sports, but I enjoy watching it! And I dont mind paying for it either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join