It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Will Be Pushed To Your Limits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I just finished reading this article, I just found, and it is an eyeopener.
Many of us talk about being prepared for SHTF,but is that realistic? I am
not combat trained and my gun skills are limited.I haven't even been to the
shooting range in a long time.There are some good points brought up
in this article.
www.survivaldan101.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

You will need to adapt....or die.
It comes down to as simple as that.

Let your survival instinct set in and live by it.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

My instinct would be to run as quickly as I can and hide!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Is Survivaldan Borat. Reads like it.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Just losing TV, phone, air conditioning, electricity, food ready for pickup at Walmart & McDonald's completely and with no expected end in sight.... right there will see about half the US population commit suicide.
edit on 6-2-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I've heard multiple interviews with a guy that had to live in the Balkan region at that time, I don't think it was the same guy. Very interesting and scary information.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Like macenroe82 said ,

adapt or die

In the mean time what I like to do is test my gear by going out into the deep forest.
I'll stay for a week or two. I plan it during times I know it will be hard like when it's going to rain or in the very hot or cold.

Sometimes I will take nothing but some water and a tarp just to see how I will adapt. I feel like it is better to test this stuff now when I know i have a warm bed and good food to come back to. But really nothing can prepare a person for the unexpected. And for us modern humans ww3, armageddon is the definition of unexpected. Maybe not you and I but us as a whole. The USA is not ready for something like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

If one is truly worried bout shtf then the best way to prepare for it is to begin today living as if it already happened.

Lose the running water and grocery stores now. If you manage to niche out a survival path now then it will not matter what happens cause your ready.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I have seen people get bent out of shape when they couldn't
get their favorite bologna at the store.I don't know how these
people would react if they couldn't get any food at all.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

HAHAH
Well im 100% sure that, that instinct WILL come in handy at some point if SHTF.
Sometimes its better to run and live to fight another day.
...Especially if its nuclear fall out and all the snakes have mutated into blood thirsty snake people.
Then hell ya! you run sister!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Like macenroe82 said ,

adapt or die

In the mean time what I like to do is test my gear by going out into the deep forest.
I'll stay for a week or two. I plan it during times I know it will be hard like when it's going to rain or in the very hot or cold.

Sometimes I will take nothing but some water and a tarp just to see how I will adapt. I feel like it is better to test this stuff now when I know i have a warm bed and good food to come back to. But really nothing can prepare a person for the unexpected. And for us modern humans ww3, armageddon is the definition of unexpected. Maybe not you and I but us as a whole. The USA is not ready for something like that.

Aren't you the same guy who camps around FL? No offense but surviving in Florida over night is not a real big accomplishment..

While you are getting prepared for your area and I respect that. Maybe try surviving in more harsh environments. Maybe camp the appalachian trail or some more extreme weather...

As a college kid I would get drunk and pass out on the beach, when I awoke in the morning I didn't really consider myself a survivalist....just saying.

edit on 6-2-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Got to remember we have one huge advantage in the states, 3.8 million sq miles of land.

We have the option to run away from the hard hit areas, the Balkan conflict was such a confined area there was no way to avoid getting shot at.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
If/when the SHTF you are not ready to kill any threat, eat things you never thought you'd eat and be as ruthless as any Bond villain, you're not gonna make it for long.
It's all well and good to say "I'm going to help whoever needs it"...but there's going to be a hell of a lot of desperate folks out there, ready to kill you and your whole family for what little you may have and use any means available to do it.

Learn to shoot from cover, really awkward positions and using your weak hand. Be able to reload without looking at your hands. That 2 or 3 seconds when you're not watching, could be the chance for them to move and you're still looking where they were, not where they are.
There is no such thing as too much practice.
edit on 6-2-2018 by DAVID64 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
in this article.

You cant read Your self up to become good at this. You have to learn by doing. You have to create Your own senarios. Learn about Your weakneses, Your weaknes would probably be different than the once you read about.

When we do survival training in the military it is hardly ever about being able to hunt down potential rivals, or to defend you self With a weapon. It is mostly about hiding, evading potential dangers while scavaging for Food.

The best way to survive is not to engage Your self in events that can potentially hurt you or Your Family. Learn what it feels like to be without Food for 4 - 5 days. You and Your Family would have to be able to cope With that potential.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

It's..it's swamp land in florida...8(

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

in this article.

We really arent prepared as a society (ties). Take away the toys of this world...and watch two teenage girls kill, skin and gut a house pet to eat cause they are starving. Think they would? And that sweet old lady on the corner try to kill you for your water....

And in training...we always ask. WHAT are you surviving for? And to WHAT kind of world?

We 1st. Responders train because of you and yours and we have to...and prepare to survive because its a positive step, and not giving up.

The larger % of the world is not even thinking of the implications of trying to and successfully surviving.

MS
1st Responder/Emergency Med. Tech
Advanced Disaster Life Support
FEMA/Dept. of Homeland Security
Region 2 South, Wayne County, Michiigan

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That land area drops a ton once the nuclear power plants melt down.
Basically the entire east coast and most of the middle of the country will be full of radiation.

Rocky mountains will be the only safe place at that point.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Irishhaf

That land area drops a ton once the nuclear power plants melt down.
Basically the entire east coast and most of the middle of the country will be full of radiation.

Rocky mountains will be the only safe place at that point.

You do realize your are talking about a 21st Century US , right ? Not an early 20th Century Soviet Union pressing an age old reactor past the point of no return ?
Stay away from Fallout 4 and other post-apocalyptic games for a while....

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I have seen people get bent out of shape when they couldn't
get their favorite bologna at the store.I don't know how these
people would react if they couldn't get any food at all.

unfortunately most of the US population are a bunch of 1st world spoiled animals.... sad really. The simple life is so much better.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Have you ever been in a swamp?

I'm in Alaska and surviving here would be easy for us who know how to do it. I've visited the Everglades a couple of times, and that would be way worse than any place I could imagine.

I've gone off grid for months in the mountains in Idaho and been on survival trips in my youth in both the mountains and deserts of Utah and I'd rather be in the desert than the swamp.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join