It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack of the Clones: Creature That Started as Pet Now Multiplying Out of Control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I am woman hear me scuttle?

Article

Most species of crayfish reproduce the same way that humans do: by having sex. But one species of crayfish that evolved out of the pet trade can do something unique—clone itself—and this ability has led populations of the crustacean to spawn out of control.

“People wondered, ‘it's only females, where are the males?’” Lyko said.
It turns out that marbled crayfish only exist in female form, spawning clones of themselves two or three times a year in a process called parthenogenesis.

parthenogenesis: Reproduction from an ovum without fertilization, especially as a normal process in some invertebrates and lower plants.

wikipedia parthenogenesis

Humans have this capability as well with implanted female eggs they can fertilize each other and the offspring will always be born female...

it's pretty beautiful at how strong and tenacious life is Diana of the Amazonians is likely proud right now
I like how it is forcing the update of evolution to not take the vast amount of time typically dished out as the smaller and less complex the life form the faster it actually is germs and bacteria in less than a year insects in less than five and these crayfish show in less than a decade... evolution honestly just being: an adaptation to adversity? We should be very very careful in what we try to force nature to adapt too... especially with gene manipulation, as the higher orders such as mammals and primates cannot adapt that fast or over come hostile conditions such as plague and disease that spread rapidly from close contact.

To the dude this is a plague folks to my response to this is a beautiful thing? I can't help it not discriminating against life no matter the form makes me see it as beautiful despite the direness the article lay out... in my opinion the rapid reproduction makes it an easily renewable/sustainable food source... as said I dont descriminate life meaning I make a pretty good snack for sharks pirhannas ants worms mosquitoes lions etc if they get the opportunity as thats just nature being nature... it simply consumes each other as one of it's innate properties so really cant hate on life simply lifing... I mean you can but I dont want to debate one life form being more special than another in any way.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Life..uh..uh..uh..finds a way.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Tribbleopolous, Tribbulation?
edit on 5-2-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BEBOG

No ......humans cannot do this......those eggs still have to be fertilized

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I say open a bait shop!

Get that old aquarium out of the garage!

That's what I would do. Smallmouth bass are suckers for crayfish, boy or girl matters not...

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

All female.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
well, perhaps we shall see a surge in the populations of sheephead, parrot fish, trigger fish and other species that like to feed on crustaceans and such?

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I wonder how they taste..maybe good enough to eat.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: madmac5150

I wonder how they taste..maybe good enough to eat.

They look more like the mud bugs I see in my local creek, than the fresh water river 'dads I used to dive for.
I wouldn't try to eat one unless pickings were slim.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Etouffee for you! And Etouffee for you! And you, and you, and you!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

No it's true it's part of suppressed science because of the moral ethical debate and stir bound up with it worldwide youll find the rat studies etc. but like life off world they dont want to disclose that sort of business unless microbes as they see "lower" lifeforms safe to inform about It doesn't even need to be an implanted egg to be honest as long as the fertile females egg is receptive to any cell of another human it can start division and replication and no it doesn't have to be a sperm cell from a man the egg transplant is just the more reliable method after that any stem cell works too.

look up spontaneous pregnancy it occurs it just never gets any press cause hey virgin giving birth is supposed to mean religious business not something that can and does naturally happen although rare.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
if they are edible and big enough to eat, i don't see a problem here...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Invasive bastards.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Bastard typically means born out of wedlock and male... saying she is married to herself sounds akin to relegating her an ego I am sure they have a neat personality as an expression. I wonder if they are linked as one mind in a sympathetic way as clones typically are... if so better not piss them off or you may be dealing with a craynado.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If the species only clones itself, I think it would be harder to breed in desired traits.

The cloning process as presented would make it harder to adapt to environmental changes.

There is a reason why the transfer of DNA material from two adults with successful traits for survival is a prevalent reproduction method.....
edit on 6-2-2018 by neutronflux because: Fixed

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Meet the Crown-of-throns starfish.

If you divide it or break apart a leg, chances are high you end up with two living portions of them in the end. They can basically regrow most of their body.

They have to be catched very carefully, they are like the black death for any coral reef.
edit on 6-2-2018 by verschickter because: messed up link

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

according to esoteric msytery schools , at one point humans could reproduce by parthenogenesis

when we were plant people

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BEBOG

Bastard typically means born out of wedlock and male... saying she is married to herself sounds akin to relegating her an ego I am sure they have a neat personality as an expression. I wonder if they are linked as one mind in a sympathetic way as clones typically are... if so better not piss them off or you may be dealing with a craynado.

Not sure. A friend of mine lives in SE Asia where supplies are cheap. He set up a lab years ago and ended up cloning humans for whatever reason - they were not similar in their behaviour or mindset. They were different people who looked the same.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

hahahah excellent , so does he have multiple jobs ? whilst he sits at home in his underpants, do they take turns sitting in their under pants and sleeping with their one wife, or did they clone her too ?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

well, perhaps we shall see a surge in the populations of sheephead, parrot fish, trigger fish and other species that like to feed on crustaceans and such?

These are freshwater crustaceans.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join