It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York creepy island that almost no one is allowed to visit -- here's what it's like

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wow, I never knew about this place (Why would I really??) But, what's really odd is it's prime real-estate smack bang in the middle of everything?

Creepy New York Island

Heaps of cool photos on news source

Less than a mile from Manhattan - one of the priciest and most densely populated places in the world - sits a mysterious island that people abandoned more than half a century ago. "North Brother Island is among New York City's most extraordinary and least known heritage and natural places," wrote the authors of a recent University of Pennsylvania study about the location. The city owns the 22-acre plot, which pokes out of the East River between the South Bronx's industrial coast and a notorious prison: Rikers Island Correctional Center. It's illegal for the public to set foot on North Brother Island and its smaller companion, South Brother Island. But even birds seem to avoid its crumbling, abandoned structures (and contrary to Broad City's depiction of the island, there isn't a package pick-up center). In 2017, producers for the Science Channel obtained the city's permission to visit North Brother Island - and the crew invited Business Insider to tag along.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Creepy is right. Pristine Dilapidation. I see a gold mine of scrap metal for recycling.

Thanks for the tour.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
jeff bezos should buy the island and turn it into a gigantic amazon warehouse ala the costco wearhouse in Idiocracy!

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'd love to go there with my camera!

Love it!

S&F!

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

stay away from my air conditioner.. i swear there is no copper wire!
weirdo
edit on 26-1-2018 by marlbblacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Send a drone over.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, I read about these islands before. History can be a strange place.

Don't believe this belongs in Ancient and Lost Civilizations thoigh.

It's New York City lol, the civilization isn't lost either.

Star and flag thoigh

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Trippy place...

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

God I wish I could sniff around on that island...so cool...

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I've always wondered how and why North Brother Island wasn't commercialized by now since every square inch of Manhattan yields huge profits. It just needs a clean up, it's not contaminated.

Plum Island in NY has contaminated animals and all sorts of creepy stuff that makes North Brother look friendly.
edit on 26-1-2018 by AgarthaSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Trippy place...

That's exactly where I read about it.

Thanks for finding and linking the thread

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
here is a link to take you straight to the photos, their awesome. If it was nearby I'd be there. Lol

www.chrispaynephoto.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Weird....South Brother Island was sold by the City in 1975 for $10...WTF? $10????

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I saw a nifty documentary on this island about a month ago, and it's basically a man made island...for the most part...due to it becoming a dump way back in the Depression era. It really is a treasure hunter's paradise, IF you were allowed to scrounge around on it!

It's become a "protected" sanctuary for all the stuff dumped there. When poor people's homes were foreclosed on (and there were a lot!) a garbage man would come carry off all that was left in the houses since most folks couldn't manage to move all their belongings like we do today. Since then, New York decided it should be protected and that the only way you can go basically "beach comb" is with special permission! I think I remember that you absolutely have to return whatever you take away from there! Kinda fun, but I know I'd probably want to keep whatever I scrounged up!!

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I want that...
Year round Halloween parties, and you are all invited.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
On the creepy scale, North Brother's got nothing compared to Fiji...

It's from a sketchy source but it actually checks out.

'Island of The Dolls' is another runner up...

If you thought Fiji was some beautiful island paradise, you'd be wrong. Dead wrong. Dead-as-partially-devoured-children wrong. Fiji has something of a history behind it, history including such favorites as cannibal children, murder of children, torture of children and death-by-seasickness for children. Yes, Fiji apparently didn't like kids that much.

A missionary who visited the island during the 1840s was treated to all these things. He writes: "October 31st, 1839, Thursday. This morning we witnessed a shocking spectacle. Twenty (20) dead bodies of men, women and children were brought to Rewa as a present from Tanoa. They were distributed among the people to be cooked and eaten.

6 Real Islands Way More Terrifying Than The One On 'Lost'

edit on 1.27.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Very cool. It would be a fantastic place for paranormal investigations..

Now where'd I leave my Ovilii?

I would absolutely LOVE to wander about the 22 acres of North Brother.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I've heard about the islands in passing through the years but never got to know much about them. Thanks for sharing, they're interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Some more on this story. I found this very interesting... s&F

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

They should build an evacuation shelter for the city there under a small park and universal stadium the public can use.

Make a 12 lane, short bridge to the islands from the closest point in the south Bronx. Theres plenty of space for it already.

There isnt a single US city with a real plan for saving thousands of people from natural or man made disasters.

We should start doing that. Clock is ticking. Also, can we get some defence funding for nationwide, modern, mass bomb shelters?

I dont want to hear that there isnt enough money for that. That would be a funny joke. Our defence budget would be the punchline.

Build a stadium, large open park, and an expandable, underground bunker system underneath.

We would get jobs for building it, a great resource in times of crisis and more facilities for emergency services.

Also, a new park to add new lungs to NYC.

Anyways, thanks OP for a cool thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join