It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
...It's far to susceptible to corruption which I have personally experienced and they don't work for the workers anymore. I also believe people need room to excel and unions destroy opportunities for those who can excel.

“Unions” are not susceptible to corruption,

But the people union members elect to lead their unions, are.

Just like how everyone rants on how dysfunctional and corrupt the government is, while conveniently forgetting that they, themselves, elected every single one of the politicians they now claim as being corrupt.

Same person who was an “ideal” (or at least, acceptable) candidate one day is now, suddenly a “corrupt politician” the next.

I wonder if the real question here is not whether it’s the elected officials, be they union or government officials, who are corrupt; or is it the electorate,

That’s us, folks,

Who are just too STUPID to elect good, honest, qualified people to positions of power and authority.

Or maybe we are not the idiots we seem to be and are, instead, electing exactly the corrupt rats we intended to elect because WE, ourselves are CORRUPT enough to expect that the spineless scum we elect will serve only OUR whims, despite what is best for the society, because we have elected them?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Bluntone22

Did they say that when they could literally walk many many great paying factory jobs and have a job for life with health care benefits, a pension and huge job security?

And yes the world has changed since 1958. I Wonder what/who these changes are rewarding...

Yes, yes they did.
And those benefits are why so much # is made in China.
Do you seriously think everybody had it made in the 50's and 60's?

I guess my parents both working 2 jobs (my dad working 3 seasonally) in the 60's and 70's was a cake walk compared to the whiners today that seem to not understand how to make you life what you want as opposed to having it fed to you like baby food.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Ah, yes, also recall the good ol' days of having only one working drain in our craptastic little hole of an apartment because that was all we could afford.

Turning Ramen into "stew" with a few frozen vegetables and some bits of beef from a package of meat bought on sale and then chopped up and frozen ...

Walking everywhere no matter the weather because we had only one vehicle and it was strictly to get husband to work and back ...

But, hey, I'm Gen X, the invisible generation no one ever cares about.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
As a business owner that employs in this age rage mostly. I can tell you this. There is zero commitment, zero work ethic, and an entitlement complex from 8 out of 10. I went through 15 employees in that age range, not one put in a notice or preformed their job as expected.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Blame the rise of neoliberalism. It is a very unsustainable economic system in the long run. Sooner or later, the economy will collapse unless someone changes the global economic structure.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

If the poor were allowed to build any shack to live in, we would already look like the third world.
The only reason the third world looks worse, is because unlike there, here, the poor are not allowed to build anything to live in.

A few homeless put up a few tents and the police would come and bull doze it down.

They want the poor to pay first world prices to greedy landlords and investors that want to keep their properties inflated
and want to pay the poor wages headed toward third world levels.

They want the government in the way to make them wealthy
edit on 21-1-2018 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

So you are doing something that most recommended? You have a viable trade and or learning another viable trade. I think many that advocate against college are really advocating against the useless degrees pushed at liberal arts schools.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
dub post please remove
edit on -06:00pmSun, 21 Jan 2018 12:31:00 -0600pm120183121PM01 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
duble post please remove
edit on -06:00pmSun, 21 Jan 2018 12:31:24 -0600pm120183121PM01 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults Most people working none stop with no time or money in their free time to even do anything. The entire nightlife has fricken died in my area and crime has gone up 100% every year.

Poor, poor baby! A nightlife???? Good Lord, when I was your age I couldn't afford a nightlife. I worked retail for the minimum wage--with a Master's degree, not so much different than now. Health care? You've got to be joking. I got appendicitis and paid for my life out of my own pocket--slowly--the whole thing. Student loans? Paid 'em off--no default- on the minimum wage. Don't ask me how. Insurance? Hahahaha! But you know what? Those were some of the best years of my life. I didn't know I was poor. At one point I didn't even know I was homeless. I just thought I was between jobs and traveling, living in my $200 car. Mom didn't have basement I could move into. She, a member of the Great Generation was as poor as I was anyway. But since she lived through the Great Depression, she thought she was doing okay. So when you guys whine about how poor you are I have very little sympathy. You don't know what poor is. Poor is going to be hungry because there is no food. Lack of a nightlife? That is beyond funny.
edit on 1/21/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
As a business owner that employs in this age rage mostly. I can tell you this. There is zero commitment, zero work ethic, and an entitlement complex from 8 out of 10. I went through 15 employees in that age range, not one put in a notice or preformed their job as expected.

I experience this exact thing in my job.
I believe it's the result of the trophy for everybody mentality.
One of the biggest problems is getting them to show up to work every day.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I can afford my nightlife. A bottle of gin and a tray of ice all for a very reasonable price.

Helps me sleep good for work in the morning too!

I'm not sure if I am a millennial, but I see a lot of people younger than me living comfortably doing the nightlife thing.

edit on 21-1-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Exactly. Everyone is a winner and equal. I get this all the time....."So....I know I just started and have only worked a day, but I am going to need the next two weeks off to....." Then why did you apply?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: toysforadults Most people working none stop with no time or money in their free time to even do anything. The entire nightlife has fricken died in my area and crime has gone up 100% every year.

Poor, poor baby! A nightlife???? Good Lord, when I was your age I couldn't afford a nightlife. I worked retail for the minimum wage--with a Master's degree, not so much different than now. Health care? You've got to be joking. I got appendicitis and paid for my life out of my own pocket--slowly--the whole thing. Student loans? Paid 'em off--no default- on the minimum wage. Don't ask me how. Insurance? Hahahaha! But you know what? Those were some of the best years of my life. I didn't know I was poor. At one point I didn't even know I was homeless. I just thought I was between jobs and traveling, living in my $200 car. Mom didn't have basement I could move into. She, a member of the Great Generation was as poor as I was anyway. But since she lived through the Great Depression, she thought she was doing okay. So when you guys whine about how poor you are I have very little sympathy. You don't know what poor is. Poor is going to be hungry because there is no food. Lack of a nightlife? That is beyond funny.

I guess I should consider listening to my home built crystal AM radio from spare parts taken from cast offs my nightlife at that age. No iPod or 99cent song purchases for me. Free AM radio, with no cost for batteries or power. But, the satisfaction and pride of building it myself made it that much more enjoyable.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I make more money than anyone on here and likely the site.

I am a Millennial.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Sorry to be that guy and my apologies if this is off topic from the direction you were looking for but have you considered relocating? It sounds like you have grown more and more miserable over the last year as evidenced by your posting. I don't imagine from your stories that your area is going to get any better.

Why do you stay?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If and when the economy booms and it becomes a market more favorable to labor, then things will improve, but not until.

If there is more labor available for each job, then conditions favor employers and they can more or less dictate because if you quit or refuse the conditions they lay out, there are often many more qualified potential employees who aren't as proud as you, especially further down on the job scale where millennials tend to be.

If the economy booms, then that available labor pool dries up and employers have to sweeten their deals to entice the better potential employees. That's when you get better pay and better perks, better conditions overall, but until that happens, this is what it is.

I agree.

The laws of supply and demand apply to the labor pool

The problem is that automation is outpacing growing industries

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
I make more money than anyone on here and likely the site.

I am a Millennial.

How about sharing some of your 300K pesos with me?

I need about tree fitty!

link   
Okay, there are plenty of arguments us old folks can put forth. But, lets try something else. What, dear millennial, would be ideal? I'm asking seriously - not joking.

What is your expectation of what should happen when you turn 18?

link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: schuyler

I can afford my nightlife. A bottle of gin and a tray of ice all for a very reasonable price.

Helps me sleep good for work in the morning too!

I'm not sure if I am a millennial, but I see a lot of people younger than me living comfortably doing the nightlife thing.

I have had so many beautiful stories of the night life in Uptown. Really the whole "We don't know how to interact" is bs. I sometimes hate my fellow Millennials, then after a few drinks, I cannot help but love them. So many 1 night stands..

Ahh I cannot wait till it warms up again!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join