It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Are Way Poorer Than Baby Boomers Ever Were

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

How do you make that delineation though?

I'll let you in on our family's dirty little secret. Husband is part of an industry lobbying group by invite. He's sat in on meetings with the regulating agencies in question. What goes on is not really what most people think. They sit there over the regulations with the agency people who want to change them and try to argue (most often) why the changes are asinine and anti-business.

Usually, what it comes to is some bureaucrat or another wanting to upend or overhaul one section or another of the regulations in order to make a name in the bureaucracy for him or herself and climb the ladder. And more often then not, they're people who have no clue how the business itself works and what is actually practical which is where the lobbying process comes in. The industry bigs get to sit down and try to tactfully tell them they're idiots and why.

There isn't much room for saying, "Hey, write it this way and we'll be fine but those little guys will be screwed!" And then everyone cackles and twirls their Snidely Whiplash mustaches.

Of course, unless you want to tell me my husband is bald face lying ...

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

We had that, it was called the government ran as a representative republic.

We let the corporations take it from us.

They took it from us in the 70's via secretive meetings still taking place, such as at Bilderberg and CFR Conferences.
The attendees are all heads from the Big Corporations and Banks that also own the politicians.
They are the worst humanity has to offer.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

O.K., first off, I don't see the tie in to Millenials in your OP. You talk about crime and night life and then go on to Libertarianism?

Your observation on crime is entirely at odds with the MSM propaganda narative that crime is actually down:
www.csmonitor.com...

Of course, that may be because your specific location has seen a bump up in crime, or it could be becaause, like me, you don't trust the MSM narrative because you have, like me observed that every 5 years or so, the FBI reevaluates Metro crime reportig stats and chides the local PD for fudging the numbers.

Night life started dying about 10~15 years ago with the smoking bans and the draconian DWI enforcement complete with road blocks. I know because I have several friends who owned bars. Night life is pretty much over except for the very wealthy who attend functions at posh hotels and stay over night. So unless you are wealthy, you can forget about night life. From what I read, the Milenials are broke for a number of reasons and at the top of the list is crushing student debt. Because of their poverty, they cocoon with friends at home parties, which has further put a fork in night life.

We live in very strange times.
edit on 21-1-2018 by TonyS because: sp

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: ketsuko

One of the best ways to spend an evening. We played hours and hours of whist & spades. I still have entire notebooks filled up with scores that I keep simply for the fond memories.

For many Millenials, that is not exciting enough. And, there is a chance you can lose playing those games. They cannot have that, as they expect either everyone is a winner, you you don't keep score. But, being electronically connected 24/7 is essential for life. Unfortunately, that is not free, like playing cards with friends....REAL FRIENDS.

It seems to me that many in that age group feel the need to collect as many "e-friends" as they can in some warped sense of self reassurance of their worth. It is not all in that age group, no. But a good part of them seems to act in that manner. I would love to ask them how many friends, real friends, they have that they have met, cried, and sacrificed for in that same period. If there is even one of those, then more of them is just gravy on the biscuit.

I'd take 1 real friend of that type of 1000 e-friends.

After a few drinks we sometimes sit around and play a game called 'What The Baby Boomers Did For Us' . It's a fun game to play but challenging. We usually get stuck pretty quickly after the obvious technological advancements, wars, financial crashes and division such as building walls and Brexit. I would argue that Rock'n'roll was perhaps their greatest contribution to planet earth and the continuing survival of humankind. Other than that it seems that it has mostly been a generation of takers and 'I'm alright, Jack' thinkers who never bothered to replenish the well. Certainly in the UK they have managed to destroy more things than create them i.e the NHS, the property market and social care etc. I am not saying that younger generations will be any different but I live in hope that they will embrace technology to make the world a better place and will someday pull down the walls that have been built to divide us by frightened old men and women who believe the world ends at the border of the particular country they were lucky enough to be born in.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Elvis_Is_Dead

So you embrace the idea of borderless world?

You do understand most of the world looks at you and laughs when you complain about how poor you are?

Because, friend, unless you live anywhere close to this, most of the friend sees you for the selfish whiner you are.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

How do you make that delineation though?

I'll let you in on our family's dirty little secret. Husband is part of an industry lobbying group by invite. He's sat in on meetings with the regulating agencies in question. What goes on is not really what most people think. They sit there over the regulations with the agency people who want to change them and try to argue (most often) why the changes are asinine and anti-business.

Usually, what it comes to is some bureaucrat or another wanting to upend or overhaul one section or another of the regulations in order to make a name in the bureaucracy for him or herself and climb the ladder. And more often then not, they're people who have no clue how the business itself works and what is actually practical which is where the lobbying process comes in. The industry bigs get to sit down and try to tactfully tell them they're idiots and why.

There isn't much room for saying, "Hey, write it this way and we'll be fine but those little guys will be screwed!" And then everyone cackles and twirls their Snidely Whiplash mustaches.

Of course, unless you want to tell me my husband is bald face lying ...

They go to the government because they are looking to see what the government can do for them.

www.theatlantic.com...

It has also fundamentally changed how corporations interact with government—rather than trying to keep government out of its business (as they did for a long time), companies are now increasingly bringing government in as a partner, looking to see what the country can do for them.

Be it a Trade Agreement with a slave labor nation, a crony contract, a regulation to put pressure on their competition.
Lobbyists do way more harm than good and need to be thrown out of DC.

How about we let all citizens join in on these lobbyist meetings as well as all the CFR and Bilderberg Meetings?

Did you know defense contractors lobby the H out of DC?
That is criminal because they take tax payer money to begin with and hand it back to politicians to get yet more contracts.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elvis_Is_Dead

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: ClovenSky

One of the best ways to spend an evening. We played hours and hours of whist & spades. I still have entire notebooks filled up with scores that I keep simply for the fond memories.

For many Millenials, that is not exciting enough. And, there is a chance you can lose playing those games. They cannot have that, as they expect either everyone is a winner, you you don't keep score. But, being electronically connected 24/7 is essential for life. Unfortunately, that is not free, like playing cards with friends....REAL FRIENDS.

It seems to me that many in that age group feel the need to collect as many "e-friends" as they can in some warped sense of self reassurance of their worth. It is not all in that age group, no. But a good part of them seems to act in that manner. I would love to ask them how many friends, real friends, they have that they have met, cried, and sacrificed for in that same period. If there is even one of those, then more of them is just gravy on the biscuit.

I'd take 1 real friend of that type of 1000 e-friends.

After a few drinks we sometimes sit around and play a game called 'What The Baby Boomers Did For Us' . It's a fun game to play but challenging. We usually get stuck pretty quickly after the obvious technological advancements, wars, financial crashes and division such as building walls and Brexit. I would argue that Rock'n'roll was perhaps their greatest contribution to planet earth and the continuing survival of humankind. Other than that it seems that it has mostly been a generation of takers and 'I'm alright, Jack' thinkers who never bothered to replenish the well. Certainly in the UK they have managed to destroy more things than create them i.e the NHS, the property market and social care etc. I am not saying that younger generations will be any different but I live in hope that they will embrace technology to make the world a better place and will someday pull down the walls that have been built to divide us by frightened old men and women who believe the world ends at the border of the particular country they were lucky enough to be born in.

If you are soooo poor, how can you afford to have drinks then?? What about using that money to buy food or save for monthly rent on your own place? Or better yet, use it to pay down the actual DEBT you've accumulated and are whining about?

Nah...poor poor you, making poor poor decisions.

Yeah, I think I felt a little for you that second. But, its gone now. Replaced by pity over your apathetic and screwed up sense of entitlement.

edit on 1/21/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: JimNasium

THE AMERICAN DREAM IS NOT DEAD.... You just now have to move to Central or South America to achieve it..

Actually my plan is to eventually move to a cpuntry where the telecom industry is experiencing rapid growth

The country of Uruguay is My 'Bug Out Plan' A 990 sq ft. apt. 2 blocks from the water in the capitol of Montevideo is $68.00 USD/month. What do You think a lobster dinner would cost?

My secondary plan is somewhere where the populace doesn't mind "oldsters" Because I'm one of those older models that continues to age. Maybe Vietnam, India, Laos

I'm also a "skinflint" (miser: cheapscrew; non-consumer) and since I've been meditating, I have ZERO doubt that I'd be 'content' anywhere on Mother Earth, just as long as My dogs are welcome to LIVE and NOT something for din din..

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You do understand most of the world looks at you and laughs when you complain about how poor you are?

Because, friend, unless you live anywhere close to this, most of the friend sees you for the selfish whiner you are.

But isn't it a borderless world though when corporations who are citizens are free to go anywhere they want to make a buck? How come that is not ok for everyone else? Why do corporations get special treatment?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The US would look like that to if people were ALLOWED to build as they please.
The US does not look like that because we do not have that level of poverty, but because government is in the way.

I can show you pictures of tent cities and homeless all over the nation

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If that was America, it would be bull dozed down by the cops and not in my backyard wealthy people
You know its true

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Please indicate to me where I mentioned anything about being poor in my post. However I would state that if we could view the world as being more than just the country we were born in there would be less places like the one you are referring to in the picture you posted.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
HELP finding video's or podcasts that point out the disparity between the boomers & mllenials & how boomers failed millenials, & how boomers were in charge of the most disastorous policies of the last 100 years & how they were responsible for most of the 20trillion debt.

I need these so I can create a program for when we millenials have a captive audience where we can maybe play either the audio or audio & video of the video for them (I play just the audio as if the video clips were podcasts and just say it is a podcast stream if I'm questioned "What are we listenening to?"

I'd especially like to see a comparison to the economy in 2001 (especially in tech for new graduates) with the dot com bust. There were more tech students in the US than at any point before or even since I think, and this is when outsourcing to india/asia went into hyper-over-drive in addition with the stock crashed, it was impossible to find a job at 25% of what we were expected to see out of college - Seriously McDonalds paid more after a 6 year masters degree b/c an Indian was working for $1-2 per hour to do over the phone tech support. This caused a massive ripple through the economy and through other industries and areas of study, as outsourcing was seen as a viable option and we all know how many jobs went overseas between 2000 and 2008.

I want to play these videos when I have the "Millenial haters" and self righteous "never did no wrong, can never don no wrong" boomers in my prescense so I can get some payback of the years of either NPR or Conservative radio or golf tournaments (on TV) I had to endure as a child. When I hear "why don't you get a job" Oh, at 7.15 per hour? with a degree and certs that garunteed me over $100,000K starting and after 15 years of experience? Taking steps backwards and then trying to move up again is a sisiphisean feat as people wonder "Why you work for $7.15 - you must be able to live on that, so you are low balled forever (getting a $12.50 offer when others are getting $25-30 because it matches previous pay levels..)..

This whole F'in system is rigged and F'd and the boomers for the most part have the "I have mine, now you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps" mentality. They say they did it "RRRRRRIGHT!!!!" and considerign that is the one of the most mis-used phrases -pulling one's self up by bootstrraps" as it is impossible (try it literally) so these F'in IDIOTS make these statements that are just as fake as their generation with the invention of plastic surgery, fake boobs, fake noses, etc We are paying for thier vanity and it it time they go away, like in the ground ASAP.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If you brag about being successful on the internet, chances are you aren't very successful.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
If you brag about being successful on the internet, chances are you aren't very successful.

I say that quite often on my website dedicated to my extraordinary genitalia.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Hey we are suppose to not care about anything.

I BELIEVES IN NOTHING

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Have you seen Detroit?
edit on 21-1-2018 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

It's really funny seeing people demeaning an entire group for being lazy, then when one says they make more than everyone else, the same people get jealous.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Lol try finding a job without a cell phone and internet connection... Just FYI having a little compassion and understanding for you fellow human being looks a lot better than saying selfish and rude, underhanded things to an entire generation of people.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You act like there aren't any people in the millennial generation living lives exactly like that..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join