It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-10 Replacement... Any news?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
While surfing the youtubes, I came across what appears to be an A-10 replacement. It really looks more like a yf-23/a-10/f-35 mixture to be honest. The youtube video calls it an A-14a wild wolf. Looks fairly realistic. Has anyone seen something similar in reality or maybe heard news of it?

Thanks,
Drew

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: kingofyo1

Looks like fan art to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Lots of concept drawings out there.

Image search

A10 platform is built around The Gun, they won't be replacing that. Afghans call it the voice of God because it sounds like one long Moan when firing.

Waaaaaaaaa....

edit on 17-1-2018 by intrptr because: change

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It seemed like more of a realistic concept than ive seen in other places which is why it caught my eye. sad to say I believe you're right on the fan art idea

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Lots of concept drawings out there.

Image search

Most are from deviantart..

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

They just stretched out the A-10 and ordered new wingsets. They're in the very early stages of the replacement program do they aren't even close to concept drawings.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I love that thing. Nothing like calling in CAS and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Haha, I've got friends in the Civil Air Patrol that are waiting with baited breath for the A-10 to be decommissioned because they're hoping the A-10 will be reassigned as a civilian patrol craft.

Some of them are like "Yea, if they just take that gun out it'd make a great slow-flying search and rescue aircraft."

I'm pretty sure you can't just take the gun out of the A-10, as far as I'm aware the A-10 was pretty much designed like this.

"Hey, we designed this giant gatling gun the size of a volkswagen, what should we do with it?"

"Build an airplane around it."

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

They did with one and converted it into a storm chaser.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Yup, just add a big sensor site for ballast and it will fly fine without the Avenger.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

It's actually relatively quick to drop one, although considered a pita because you have to remove several parts around it, and it leaks fluid everywhere. I haven't had the occasion to visit DM lately, but once upon a time we got to see it done when we were visiting for something else. They do it every X-many thousand rounds fired.

So you'd just need to ballast it and put it back together again (They actually use a jack point under the tail to keep it from lurching nose high when you remove the weight haha). I mean it'd be a job, but there's nothing structurally dependent on the gun or drum itself.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The A-10 will not be replaced. It will die out as it is. Future war will be on to something else much different then People would imagine.

In the future armed swarms of micro drones will replace the A-10. THe US just needs to find a effective way to get them onto the target.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
A while back someone was working on engineering the A-10 to be used as a Firebomber (wild land firefighting). Unfortunately he died during R&D and the idea fizzled out.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They did with one and converted it into a storm chaser.

Do you know where to find any pics of this? That sounds awesome.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

2015 Video

They were trying to start flying live missions with it last year, but they were having problems with ownership and getting the modifications done for a couple years that threw them off schedule.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They apparently have the requirements doc done though. Its just in development hell.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

They were trying to get AMARG to do at least some of the work, and were having to test everything against hail and ice, so yeah, I'm not surprised.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for posting that, great idea. I hope they are able to catch up and get it operational.

Also...this graphic killed me

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

granted it is an older platform but it is so good at what they do i dont think they are in a huge rush, they fought in congress to keep them around with plans to start making replacement parts

the warthog is so scary

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Ive heard so many stories of the a-10 saving troops asses but when it comes down to it, everything gets replaced. Its just a matter of time. Something "better" will rear its stealthy head and be the new tank in the sky. I wonder what happened to the stealthy troop transport ? those concepts looked sooooo sexy

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join