It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NFL, once again, is above politics.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: amazing

No. There was politics when it was injected into the game needlessly.

I don't see how it was injected into the game. I mean, sure there were protests, but it wasn't unbearable, in your face, disruption of the game. It didn't detract from the game at all.
so there were protests and players clearly being (in my opinion) disrespectful, it was all over the news too.

How is that not being injected?

It detracted from the game the same way a horrible personality detracts from a smoking hot girl. Their looks didn't change but you still don't care to be around them anymore.

I disagree. I mean we all have things we don't like and we all see things differently. I get that. I just think it was subtle. When I'm watching a game, we're getting the chips and dip ready, yelling at the kids, going to the bathroom...we never sit there and analyze ever facit of the pregame, broadcast, leadup, national anthem or half time show. We just enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Congrats MW on the awesome finish. Getting through the playoffs is always exciting but for the Vikings, it would be sweet to play the Super Bowl in your home stadium. I don't think that's ever been done.

I'm still protesting the NFL but that started in 2016 for reasons other than the knee fad. Although, that would have done it on its own. As already mentioned, the NFL is a money machine. it's a monopoly with nothing threatening it except a few protesters like myself. The game is there to keep you occupied between commercials. That's my big issue. They need a competitor. Bring back the USFL!

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I had hoped that hit in the wallet would translate into a lowered salary cap for next year. Now that would be a wake up call....

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

The NFL has risen above politics???? The NFL is simply out to make money. They will take whatever stand that gets them the most viewers and sell the most tickets and trinkets. If If you enjoy watching it, watch it. But don't kid yourself for a second, that the NFL is anything more than a corporate interest out to make as much money as possible there is nothing honorable there at all.

So , what you are saying is the complete boycott by a lot of fans had a real effect ?
GO ME!!!!!
I have the power

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
What the F does it have to do with politics?

If you believe in Karl Marx, then everything anyone does is political. Sports is generally used by politicians to placate the population and show people that everything is all right. We play our games, everything is right with the world. Business as usual. No need to go and vote everybody out of office.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I had hoped that hit in the wallet would translate into a lowered salary cap for next year. Now that would be a wake up call....

You do realize that that the players are unionized? Union proud, Union Strong

www.nflpa.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Except...there are no politics in the NFL anyway, unless you want to see it. Some guys taking a knee never affected me or my love of the game. It was all the snowflakes that got outraged by it.

It wasn't the 'snowflakes' that were freaking-out over the protests. That is if you're using 'snowflakes' in the common pejorative to mean anybody that wouldn't gleefully clean Donald's sphincter. It was actually the flag-waving, faux-patriots flipping-out. Everyone else was just, 'yea, whatever'.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

Except...there are no politics in the NFL anyway, unless you want to see it. Some guys taking a knee never affected me or my love of the game. It was all the snowflakes that got outraged by it.

It wasn't the 'snowflakes' that were freaking-out over the protests. That is if you're using 'snowflakes' in the common pejorative to mean anybody that wouldn't gleefully clean Donald's sphincter. It was actually the flag-waving, faux-patriots flipping-out. Everyone else was just, 'yea, whatever'.

I'm one of those flag wavers but there's nothing fake about my patriotism. It bugs the hell out of me that they would do this, but at the same time I will defend, to the death, their right do it

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA

I'm one of those flag wavers but there's nothing fake about my patriotism. It bugs the hell out of me that they would do this, but at the same time I will defend, to the death, their right do it

I might also add that there's nothing in the bill of rights that says you can only protest in front of people who feel the same way.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

Th bill of rights doesn't say anything about anyone...other than the Gov't shall not infringe... thee and me? All day long...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yep. A factor. Many who gave support to the kneelers, IMO, likely would not have without that organization, I would suspect. Not a criticism, merely an observation.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Anyone can be a snowflake. Right wing or left wing. A special snowflake is anyone that get's offended by something that really doesn't effect them at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

That is an interesting view of it. I can see the similarities but there are differences, as well.

I see no disruption of traffic or vandalism.

Of course, by that definition then the football players kneeling are also 'snowflakes'?

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No that's what the media was for pushing the agenda making you notice. It backfired.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I think they have revenue sharing so it actually might.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Watching that game, i found it hard to believe that it wasn't thrown.

My son believes the NFL is rigged to create fantastic finishes. It could be rules, officials, or players. Whatever is going on, he's right on the "fantastic finishes".

But that missed tackle is beyond my ability to comprehend. These are professional athletes, with a very high degree of physical intelligence.

The cover of "I was trying to not get a penalty for interference" was complete bull-puckey. You ALWAYS take the penalty when a touchdown is the possibility. Its a risk assessment...and with no time on the clock, how else could someone assess risk. The guy is a college graduate...he can't lay claim to idiocy.

In any event, as a die hard for the Bears, im all to happy to see a conference rival represent us.
I just feel for Brees, and a team that seems to have been hosed over by a schmuck.

Not only are games suspect but some teams seem to get away with cheating. Yes, Bill, you and the New England Deflatriots are whom I'm speaking about. No punishment and cover-ups by the "dirt"bags running the league. The radios not working but each team has to use the home team comm set-up. What a great idea. Illegal filming? Oh, we didn't know...right. Bill was the Cleveland coach and how great was he then? He has a team that can win with anybody as the head coach and he's touted as a wonder coach.
How the Superbowl turns out is fine as long as the Deflatriots don't win.

images1.westword.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

That is an interesting view of it. I can see the similarities but there are differences, as well.

I see no disruption of traffic or vandalism.

Of course, by that definition then the football players kneeling are also 'snowflakes'?

I don't think so. Here's How I see the difference. In America we have the right to protest anything and we should if we feel strongly about it. We should protest Rosie O'Donnel or Kathy Griffith or any social injustice or immigration policy or anything.

Snowflake comes into it when we get offended by the protest. Unless it's literally protesting us ourselves, there is no reason to get offended. We can disagree if we want but we become a pretty little snowflake when we get offended by the actions of others that don't really have any effect on us.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Meh, you lose me with the last 'para'.

The term came from the protest AND the melodramatics of 'needing therapy' when the sight of a flag offends, the wailing and carrying on of those that hadn't gotten their way.

Certainly not when offended by protest.

While I can see your view of 'there's no reason' to be offended, you could also allow that one could and perhaps should be offended having views imposed on a paying public that didn't pay for that 'service', In fact, pay for football, in many cases, to escape from that sort of noise.

Meh, it is what it is.

For a few moments, it WAS the game again and nothing more or less....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join