It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keto Potluck!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Ah, the new year. The days are getting longer, and everyone is all antsy to get moving again, coming out of the fattening lethargy of northern latitudes.. . I started the keto diet again on Tuesday, and like 3 people I know did this week, too, it turns out. LOVE it. Dear keto, I'm sorry I was gone so long.

This thread is intended as an online potluck for keto recipes, ideas, etc. Post a question or a recipe request, tell your most delicious dish, or a hack you invented to make a regular meal keto compatible.

I'll go first:
Got into ketosis in 3 days and avoided the keto flu by eating a pinch of sea salt and chugging quarts of water whenever my head ached. I feel spectacular. Lost 6 lbs so far. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Water weight.)

And for a recipe, The Meatloaf My Husband *Loves* Even Though He Usually Hates Meatloaf:

2 lbs ground beef
4 eggs
1.5 cups shredded parmesan
3 Tbsp Montreal seasoning
3 Tbsp barbecue sauce (be picky and choose one low in carbs and sugar)

Mix all ingredients. Form into loaves. (If you're feeling fancy, drape bacon over them. I usually don't because bacon is so expensive these days.) Bake at 400 for 45 minutes, more or less. I think my oven runs cool, so you might check it at 30 min just to be sure you don't burn it.

Serve something green on the side, like roasted Brussels sprouts or sauteed Swiss chard. So good!
edit on 020182018k23111America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Your making me hungry, it is almost one in the morning and I am not going to eat.

We had meatloaf about a week ago. We usually put some Ritz crackers in ours, but I need to stop eating grains, I can overcome a little of the gluten intolerance by using companion chemistry and some specialized recipes, but cannot keep eating so much gluten. I always have had problems with eating bread, I just ignored my intolerance and started eating more. That needs to stop, I must go back to eating less breads. My intolerance seems to be getting worse as I am getting older, that sucks. When you do not have to worry about being uncomfortable at work from eating stuff, then your intolerance goes up. I do not need to go full keto though, I do not have any problem with potatoes, in fact potatoes actually make me feel better. As long as I avoid bananas. Fibers bind me up, but potatoes don't seem to clog my gut, neither do sweet potatoes.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Isn't it funny how the body works? I used to test my blood sugar when I was pregnant. 15 grams of carbohydrates in milk or cherries? No problem. 15 grams of carbs in wheat? Huge blood sugar spike, puffy tummy and hands. White flour makes me so constipated, but potatoes and rice don't. I know from experience that I drop tons of weight when I restrict carbs, even the ones that don't seem to bother me.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
a reply to: rickymouse

Isn't it funny how the body works? I used to test my blood sugar when I was pregnant. 15 grams of carbohydrates in milk or cherries? No problem. 15 grams of carbs in wheat? Huge blood sugar spike, puffy tummy and hands. White flour makes me so constipated, but potatoes and rice don't. I know from experience that I drop tons of weight when I restrict carbs, even the ones that don't seem to bother me.

All wheat flour makes me constipated and bloated. I get none of that from potatoes. Rice doesn't seem to cause much problems either, but I can't tolerate too much of the Ummami chemistry which is glutamates. I like soy sauce, but I learned it dopes me too much if I overeat it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I have a question: ive read on body modification forums that the keto diet causes some side effects in women, namely breast growth from the fat bombs. Is this true?
What side effects good/bad have you noticed from keto?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Hopefully some more recipes come along ! I've been looking for more Keto recipes ...I have a breakfast one that I like .basically
Scrambled eggs with veggies .

Olive oil in frying pan
Pre chop veggies ... Heat pan.
Throw veggies in pan and sauté
I use:
Carrots
Broccoli
Onion
Capers
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

Add 4 eggs ( crack and dump directly in pan)
Scramble all together with veggies until cooked .

Fold in handful of spinach so it's wilted but not cooked all the way .

And eat !!!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
I have a question: ive read on body modification forums that the keto diet causes some side effects in women, namely breast growth from the fat bombs. Is this true?
What side effects good/bad have you noticed from keto?
. I've read about a few issues with Keto diet , but I have no idea if
It's true or not ...I've read that it lowers your blood Pressure , and If you have high blood
Pressure , or on medication for it , you could have adverse reactions . dizziness being one of The side effects ...Also, you have less immunity in your system ,as you're eating less plant base foods , and more animal
Fat. The plant foods help with certain vitamins , and antioxidants . And help combat fatigue .... But again, I don't know if this is really true ?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

I haven't heard about breast growth before. It does help regulate hormones, like for women who have PCOS, so it wouldn't surprise me if breast growth were a result.

Side effects I've seen from my last round of keto in 2015:
Lost 30 lbs
Period became normal and I finally conceived again
Mood boosted consistently, no winter blues
Complexion improved
Slept great
No constipation
Only bad thing was unexpected: some colleagues, relatives, etc seemed to react badly to my
weight loss.

This time, I'm seeing that my blood pressure is normalizing. Down ten points systolic. (I had severe preeclampsia last pregnancy, and it never quite went back to normal, till now.)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

What kind of recipes would you like?
If I have any you want, I'll post them. Or I can bird dog it for you on the keto Facebook galaxy of sites.

edit on 020182018k23111America/Chicagotham by Look2theSacredHeart because: agffv

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The BP thing is definitely true. People on BP meds should be watching it closely anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Haven't made this in a while, but it's so good. This recipe blog is decent, too:
Egg roll in a bowl, AKA Crack Slaw

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Congrats on conceiving! 😁

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I guess you could take a multivitamin and probiotic to balance that out?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

Congrats on conceiving! 😁
Thanks. He's 20 months old now, and loves saying "no."

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I've been a lo carb gal for many years....but it really isn't all that popular,or the recipes are too frankenfood for me.

So,I may have to dabble in KETO.....and tbh, I'm not sure what the differences are between low carb and KETO??????????????????????

For those who can handle sweets, I came across this awesome looking recipe....haven't baked it yet, need some ingredients.
I think I'll skip the frosting though.
twosleevers.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Good for you for sticking to low carb! The tax subsidized wheat and corn lobbies try to cram the starches down us. What got you started?

If I understand correctly, Keto has a lower carbohydrate threshold than low carb. 20-30 grams of carbs are allowed on Keto, while low carb is up to 50. The standard American diet is like 150 carbs a day. Or more. Eating keto level carbs puts your body into ketosis, burning fat instead of glucose.

That cake looks awesome. Just got some coconut flour today. My husband gave up Oreos for my benefit, so I want to bake him something. I'll be trying this!
edit on 020182018k23109America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: Ketosis

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Needing to lose weight....and never being successful dieting.....never!!!
It was so easy the first time to lose!!!!!

Dieting is a vicious circle....you eat less, you get hungrier. You exercise, you get hungrier.
And carbs are so addictive.

I don't stick to it as much as I should.
The holidays and desserts do me in...on top of the hibernation phenomena.
And potato chips....they are Satan!!!!!!

I need to drop my carbs further....I average about 50-60- a day.
Not enough.
I need more willpower.
SIGH!!!!

Let me know how the cakes come out......I do want to try them.....

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Keto cheddar "chips"

Not quite as good as the real thing, but they're fine with artichoke pesto dip. I think parmesan works better than cheddar.

Cheers on your efforts to eat healthy! (Dry red wine has only 5 carbs per glass. Real life cheers.)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Thanks.
I'll have to try that.
Looks pretty damn easy, too!!!!

BTW, have you come up with a good sugar substitute?
I try to avoid sugar alcohols....as many of them do not agree with me.
edit on Tue Jan 16 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Naw. Most sugar substitutes are kind of gross. I have a bag of Stevia in the Raw that I grind in the coffee grinder when I must.

What helps is cutting the sweetener by 1/3. I'd probably use a little less than 1/4 cup of stevia the first time I make that recipe you sent. Whatever you make is less sweet, but then the aftertaste isn't as strong.
edit on 020182018k23110America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: Clarifying proportions

edit on 020182018k23110America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: Math error. Darn fractions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join