It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sorry state of Gaming.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think there is a direct correlation between price paid and expectations. Which, may seem obvious, but I use that to my advantage.

I recently dipped my toes into modern consoles and found it frigid and unwelcoming
So, I use Steam and others and just wait for sales. I rarely pay more than $10us for games, and my expectations match that cost.

Due to where I live, I avoid mainly multiplayer games as well.

All that said, I have found VR to have really re-sparked my love of gaming. The vast majority of games are still little more than tech demos.. but, when even that can be fun, its great. Plus, with things like vorpX and Vireio, it enables a new experience with "old" games.

I've never enjoyed gaming more than right here and now, especially when I can "travel" and jump into other worlds. With my health, the value of that can't be overstated.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Divinity: Original Sin 2.

You won't regret it.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think this is why PC gaming has come back big time.

There's so many different quirky interesting smaller games on PC, instead of the tedious identikit annual updates of things on the consoles.

Get yourself a PC. And enjoy the steam sales.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You don't even have to buy a PC, just build one and save a bit on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Dude I'm surprised how many indie titles the switch is getting.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You just need a $5 PSX clone PC gamepad.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Consoles suck.

Sorry, but with the massive amount of free mods that I can apply to most games with my PC, it really extends the life of the game well past whatever worth it had when I paid for it. The talent of the modding community puts it on par with the actual game developers.

I'm still playing games I bought years ago all because I'll come across a new mod that breaths life back into the game.
edit on 1/12/2018 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Exactly!

And I don't push PC because of some "RAWR, PC master race argument" It's because in today's world where developers and services are trying to squeeze water from stone to get every last haypenny out of everyone while producing less actual product -- game as service model. The PC affords some flexibility and more access to independent developers.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The worst is when you buy a game only to spend the first few hours downloading patches instead of playing. I live remotely and my nets slow

So frustrating!!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

pc for uber games switch for Nintendo only titles.

like Skyrim horrid on consoles a modded paradise of rpg goodness on le PC.

Plus I game on toilets w the switch. bahaha Great Success ACHIEVED

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

You won't regret it.

Heard good things about this one. Watched a couple of YouTube guys play it the other day. Looks very interesting, but may be a bit to slow paced for my liking.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Wait a while on the switch. Zelda had a few issues and Marios good but is the same old

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: ketsuko

pc for uber games switch for Nintendo only titles.

like Skyrim horrid on consoles a modded paradise of rpg goodness on le PC.

Plus I game on toilets w the switch. bahaha Great Success ACHIEVED

Switch is key for toilet gaming

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Still trying to get into Divinity: Original Sin. It's a bit like the RPG equivalent of watching paint dry or at least I'm having trouble getting out of the starting areas because of that.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Still trying to get into Divinity: Original Sin. It's a bit like the RPG equivalent of watching paint dry or at least I'm having trouble getting out of the starting areas because of that.

I may try it for something different. What I really really REALLY want is for The Last Of Us 2 to get here, and quickly.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'm 44 and have been playing video games since Ultima IV on the Commodore 64, so I've been through all the ups and downs with this industry.

I'm a PC gamer guy, and I solved this problem by buying about 3-5 years behind the current cycle. I recently finished Witcher 3, unbelievably great game, and just started playing Civilization V which came out in 2010, almost 8 years ago! Also a fantastic game. This way, all the games I buy are fully mature with all the bugs worked out and stocked with all the DLC, plus they're all under $20 on Steam, and I don't have to worry about shelling out $$$ every 6 months for the latest greatest graphics card. Plus, after a few years, you know what stands the test of time and what doesn't, so you only buy the best of the best.

Win - Win!

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

You won't regret it.

Heard good things about this one. Watched a couple of YouTube guys play it the other day. Looks very interesting, but may be a bit to slow paced for my liking.

It can be, especially the begining. I'm not normally a D&D type gamer, but I gave this a shot, and I find myself saying "just one more quest" or "just one more fight" lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Ummmm.... what?
I really hope that delusional statement is satire.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

We were joking.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I am a former PC gamer I would still be if I had a recent rig. Always have been a Sony fan, never X-box, gaming since the C64.

This year I am excited for Red Dead Redemption 2. I never buy games when they first come up I tend to play things backdated like Subsonic. I may make an exception and cough up for Red Dead as I was pumped for it's release last year.

Any other great titles people know about, coming out this year?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join