It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro Marijuana Groups Actively Trying To Overturn Law Denying Users To Bear Arms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree
a reply to: dreamingawake

I don`t see a problem,if the federal government has the exclusive right to decide if you can own a gun

A. Your government has no rights, only restrictions
B. If you believe the government gets to decide whether or not you get to do something, you dont understand the difference between rights and permissions.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Both cannabis being illegal and banning a right to bear arms is not at all constitutional.
The only way i see a gun ban on someone is if they commit a violent crime that is not out of self defence. Or is mentally unfit.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Pro Marijuana Groups Actively Trying To Overturn Law Denying Users To Bear Arms

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– As more marijuana dispensaries begin to operate in Maryland, some users are realizing they are not allowed to own a gun.

Federal law prohibits anyone who uses any form of marijuana from owning a gun.
The rule isn’t new. The question about marijuana use has long been on the federal questionnaire to get approved for a gun, but it’s now coming to some people’s attention.

Marijuana users who are enjoying the new found freedom to use the drug; are finding out they’ve lost the right to bear arms.

Pro marijuana groups are actively trying to change the law.

Source

As more states become legal medicinal and recreational wise this issue is due to looked into.

For those who grow medicinally at home for their health issues deserves the right to protect themselves. Traditionally in the eyes of many and in the law guns and drugs don't mix. Though, the gaining widespread use of medicinal cannabis use pro groups are heading in the right direction.

Isn't the right to bear arms protected in the American constitution? I don't understand how they can strip you of that right for smoking pot.
edit on 12/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I don`t see a problem,if the federal government has the exclusive right to decide if you can own a gun or not...

Holy Sweet Jesus and the Baby Jesus, you ever actually sit down and read the Constitution? It's not a list of things the government can do, it's a list of everything it cannot do.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They really need to change the laws across the board, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm thankful that I live in Michigan, because we have a very unique way of dealing with medical marijuana and gun laws.... It's actually really cool.

We do this thing where we just ignore everything, pretend that no one is doing anything wrong, don't talk about anything, and just.... continue on with our day.

There's thousands of people in possession of cards and guns, people with cards that still purchase guns, CPL's and medical cards, etc. We just do things, such as:

A) Don't have both in possession at the same time;
B) Don't run around telling everyone about everything; and
C) Don't do stupid things.

At the end of the day, everyone is happy and no one is in prison for trivial, contradicting laws that unconstitutionally imprison nonviolent people for victimless crime.

It works pretty good, other states should try it sometime.

(It also helps that a lot of our state politicians hold the same view of - "if it's not affecting anyone, why do anything?")

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Is there a single recorded case of someone burning the herb and committing a gun crime?

SA- In all of My years in Law Enforcement I NEVER had contact w/someone who used Cannabis and then beat anyone up, shot anyone. The only arrest I did make for Cannabis was because 'the guy' circumvented the neighborhood's electricity to the tune of $240/k.

Also in My experience, if the folks had Cannabis it was used 'medicinally' and usually to come down from using stimulants e.g. coc aine; methamphetamine.

Never had a bank robbery, armed robbery.. Booze ? Yes, bigPHarma™ poisons? YES

Included is a link for what Lobbyist gets paid and the businesses that contribute. BigPHarma™ is #1 is spending.

www.opensecrets.org...

Proud Member of LEAP • Law Enforcement Action Partnership (nee: Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

I think Montana passed a law a couple years ago essentially nullifying all federally imposed guns laws for any weapons manufactured and sold in the State of Montana. Which makes sense.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Yeah, it's really dumb that those who apply for a marijuana card are barred from owning weapons. What sense does that make? Are potheads or medical marijuana users shooting up nightclubs, schools, and their places of employment?

As with all laws tied to pot, this is beyond stupid.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

we have the right to the pursuit of happiness also, so all government made laws must be unconstitutional because each law prevents someone,somewhere from pursuing what makes them happy.

I`m also wondering if humans have always had the god given right to own firearms,even before firearms were invented?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, the people in the states that legalized it should have considered some in our government want people to lose their right to bear arms. Once you get on the list, there is no gun for you anymore I suppose.

I don't see how that holds up.

MJ prescriptions are for a calendar year, then you must renew again.

If you don't renew you're not a medical MJ patient.

Also, the laws, state vs federal suggest you cannot buy a gun while medical MJ patient. The laws do not say you can't have previously possessed guns and then get a medical MJ script or confront the loophole I see, which is simply buy guns after your script expires and before you renew.
edit on 14-1-2018 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
More reason for cannabis to be protected as a medicine under the hippa act. Then it's a constitutional violation to revoke someone's second amendment right over their health. That's what we did in Colorado...

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

A law like this one is only creating a new underground for illegal marijuana use, people are not gonna register if it means losing their gun rights.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don`t see a problem,if the federal government has the exclusive right to decide if you can own a gun or not...

Holy Sweet Jesus and the Baby Jesus, you ever actually sit down and read the Constitution? It's not a list of things the government can do, it's a list of everything it cannot do.

The founding fathers didn`t give us our rights, according to the founding fathers themselves our rights were bestowed upon us by god himself , so I`m wondering why god would give humans the "right" to own a material item that wasn`t even invented yet.
presumably the first humans ( adam and eve) had the same god given rights that we have and yet firearms weren`t even invented yet for most of mankind`s history.
what`s even more puzzling is, why would god even give us the "right" to own any material item? that goes against many of the things the bible says.

if our rights aren`t god given rights then they are just "rights" that were bestowed upon us by a handful of guys a couple hundred years ago.if humans can bestow rights" upon one another than they aren`t really rights they are just laws and wishful rules of conduct.

edit on 14-1-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

The founding fathers didn`t give us our rights, according to the founding fathers themselves our rights were bestowed upon us by god himself , so I`m wondering why god would give humans the "right" to own a material item that wasn`t even invented yet.

That is not necessarily the case and it can be argued that a person has inherent rights whether they believe in God or not which is why the Constitution reads 'WE the PEOPLE'.

Either way the Federal Government does not have the jurisdiction to decide rights arbitrarily which is why laws are overturned regularly which impinge upon our rights.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

we have the right to the pursuit of happiness also...

Show me where in the Constitution this is enumerated. This on its face is an absurdity, if someone derives happiness from harming others for pleasure, using your logic, this is a Constitutionally protected activity. It is not, no one guarantees you a happy life.

edit on 15-1-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think that, stemming from natural law...if the human body is covered in cannabinoid receptors, there is no reason to forbid it. Its like banning salt. Or light.

There isnt a real legal basis for it beyond regulating it as an intoxicant

top topics

<< 1   >>

join