It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 soon-to-be laid off Carrier workers to send message to Trump livestream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
What? I thought we gave carrier $7 million in tax cuts and incentives to keep some 1200 jobs in Indiana? What happened?

More than 200 workers at the Carrier air conditioning plant in Indiana will lose their jobs Thursday — so they’re going to spend their last night of employment at a local bar, livestreaming a discussion on how President Trump can save U.S. manufacturing.

The 215 workers to be laid off Thursday are the last of 600 positions the air conditioning plant previously said it had to eliminate — even though it got some $7 million in tax rebates to stay in the state.

The workers are meeting at 7p.m. Wednesday at Sully’s Bar and Grill in Indianapolis, according to the IndyStar.

Sponsored by Good Jobs Nation, the workers want to share how the loss of their jobs will affect them

www.nydailynews.com...

Apparently they want Trump to do more about Blue collar jobs, manufacturing jobs. This is the message they'll be sending.

No seriously.

Answer me this. What more can Trump do that will fit with the rightwing narrative? $1 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthiest and for Corporations, big business. Millions given to Carrier whilst they continue cutting jobs. What else?

Didn't Trump promise to raise tariffs on imported goods? Didn't he also promise to label China a currency manipulator? How's that going? What else is Trump doing besides talk and aimlessly cutting taxes for the wealthy and big business?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Trump could stop lying to them. They won’t believe anyone but him. Manufacturing that demands a large workforce is over for US. Those jobs are where cheapest labor pool is. Until they can go robotic and back to US. People should begin education and training for that day. If trump would go all out for infrastructure, that would be the salvation of middle class blue collar. But he was elected to destroy.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Then the company should have to refund its tax credits.
Either way, corporations and companies alike are going to outsource all the jobs they can in this volatile economy. Every President since before Trump promised to "save jobs".

The gov't does not save jobs.
It wasn't designed to.

People who fell for that sham should reconsider their intelligence.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

One of his campaign platforms, $1.5 trillion for infrastructure, I was completely behind. It appears he's largely backed out of this. Apparently the Senators are having a 'huddle' over this but I don't expect anything to come out of this. They got their $1 trillion corporate and wealthy tax cut, that's all they want.

Oh he's cutting regulations. That's handy. A for effort.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

Then the company should have to refund its tax credits.

What's Trump and the GOP going to do? Nothing.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

From your linked source, it states Carrier originally planned on moving 2100 jobs to Mexico. The company still said even with the incentive, they would have to still eliminate 700 jobs. Obviously, it sucks to be one of those 700, but what do the other 1400 have to say about being able to keep their jobs?

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

The 700 unemployed still have to pay taxes to give these companies bigly tax exemptions. But, I don’t feel that sorry for people who vote on gods guns and girls issues only.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I feel empathy for the 700 who have lost their current job. My point was simply that it appears that the incentives to Carrier did indeed save 1400 jobs. These last 213 employees released certainly are feeling sour, how could they not? Carrier still needed to make some decisions to ensure the employability of the 1400 other employees.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

You are poor. He's fighting for me': Dave Chappelle takes on white low income Trump supporters and says he feels sorry for them.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Kill the link for more.
I'm hoping ppl don't take the thread off topic because of the racialized content of what Dave is saying, but it sounded similar to what the O.P has said, Donald Trump had asked the same about black voters, What have you got to lose.
Now I'm told that economic indicators are up across the board so maybe he didn't lie, or there is much more unseen.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Trump is a TV huckster, and at the time it was obvious that the Carrier move was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Trump's policies are not only not pro-labor, they are not even pro-business. True, he is giving major tax breaks to the largest multonational corporations, but by eliminating the state real estate deduction, he is threatening small businesses. Owners of commercial properties will increase their rents to compensate, and "Mom and Pop" operations have very slender profit margins to begin with. This could lead to corner stores and individual franchises shutting down, adding to the unemployment rolls.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The whole story is taken out of context. Trump made a deal for state incentives to save jobs. Those jobs were saved and the ones that were going to be cut even after the deal are finally being cut Thursday. Just another hit-piece on Trump and they wonder why they get called fake news.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

This is hilarious. Now Trump is responsible for any and all lay-offs by any Corporation whatsoever. Running out of issues, people?

So Carrier decides to lay off people and that decision makes Trump a 'liar'? All campaign promises are suddenly 'overdue'?

At the same time, the left touts an alternative named Oprah. A depopulation advocate.

But then again, who am I to criticize self-determined political suicide. Carry on, my wayward children, carry on.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Trump could stop lying to them. They won’t believe anyone but him. Manufacturing that demands a large workforce is over for US. Those jobs are where cheapest labor pool is. Until they can go robotic and back to US. People should begin education and training for that day. If trump would go all out for infrastructure, that would be the salvation of middle class blue collar. But he was elected to destroy.

All fantastic points.

Other than the infrastructure not being a permanent fix, it would provide short term relief and secure commerce and travel within our nation.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Didn't Trump promise to raise tariffs on imported goods?

I am still really disappointed that nothing has been done or said about this.
Taxing American companies for building their product outside of the US and shipping them back in, really sounded like a good, common sense way to keep jobs here.
This potential policy won a lot of people over.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Yesterday I was told multiple times on this very website that the current booming economy is a result of the Obama administration not trump.
So this must be Obama's fault too.

Which is it?

Trump made an attempt to keep these jobs here.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thanks to the booming economy and businesses everywhere hiring these 200 people should have zero problems finding new jobs.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

"what else is trump doing, besides talk and aimlessly cutting taxes for the wealthy and big business?"

Hopefully preparing for his second term...JAIL.....

edit on 11-1-2018 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Didn't Trump promise to raise tariffs on imported goods?

I am still really disappointed that nothing has been done or said about this.
Taxing American companies for building their product outside of the US and shipping them back in, really sounded like a good, common sense way to keep jobs here.
This potential policy won a lot of people over.

Same here

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Last I heard Trump was the president,he doesn't own stock in Carrier AC,so how would he be responsible,the companys CEO's made the decision,they wanted more money,and laid people off,how is this the presidents problem?problem these days,liberals can't think or act themselves,have to blame others

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: CynConcepts

The 700 unemployed still have to pay taxes to give these companies bigly tax exemptions. But, I don’t feel that sorry for people who vote on gods guns and girls issues only.

Why do you assume that because they have a blue-collar job they are uneducated, gun carrying red-necks. Going to college does NOT mean you'll get a suit and tie job. The truth is that a large number of college graduates work minimum wage jobs.
Also their not the first ones to get government money and shut down anyway. Car companies did it a few years ago. They said We need this money to stay open, but still moved their factory's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join