It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Base in Syria attacked by drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The Russian bases in Syria apparently were attacked by suicide drones. Two of the bases were Tartus and Hmeimin, being a naval and airbase respectively.

I've seen this report for a few days now and the original report has a video that was very less than clear (to me) as to what was going on:

alert5.com...

However, only today has it been confirmed to have taken place by the Russians. The question remains as to what the damage actually was. The IS folks claimed they took out an S-400 with the drones. The Russians unexpectedly claim otherwise.

The Russians claim the drones can attack from as far away as 100 km.

www.ruaviation.com...

However, other sources were saying the drones were 'just' COTS retail rones:

theaviationist.com...

Hmeimin was supposed to be the site where some media reports were very recently a mortar attack that took out several aircraft.

IS (Daesh) has been using commercial drones this way for a while, but this attack marks a significant upgrade in their scale.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
Kinda ironic, seeing as how comrade Putin declared mission accomplished recently. Just goes to show that the Syrian conflict is far from over, just entering a new stage. I am kinda curious about who was behind the attack, if it indeed occurred.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
They say Kim Jong Un has a 1,000 drone fleet. Some can fly at 100 mph (it is businessinsider.com), and some are even stealth. There are reports that one particular drone can fly for 10 hours. The fear is dirty bombs or chemical attacks.

businessinsider.com - North Korea reportedly has a fleet of 1,000 drones it can use for chemical attacks.

@OP

The drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), used in the attempted attack were basic in design, Russian news site Lenta reports.

The UAVs featured an engine taped to a wooden frame, which carried two "home-made mines", it added.

Russia has not yet commented on the reports.

Source: BBC.com

Syrians with a 60 mile capable drone? I think it is pause worthy if a country like NK can amass a 1,000 drone fleet. Although Duck Taping an engine to a frame seems rather desperate!!

ETA: In the, "There is no such thing as coincidence" file (esp. the "13" in both stories)...
WashingtonTechnology.com - Raytheon, Department 13 form anti-drone tech partnership.
edit on 8-1-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add related?? article

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
They say Kim Jong Un has a 1,000 drone fleet. Some can fly at 100 mph (it is businessinsider.com), and some are even stealth. There are reports that one particular drone can fly for 10 hours. The fear is dirty bombs or chemical attacks.

businessinsider.com - North Korea reportedly has a fleet of 1,000 drones it can use for chemical attacks.

@OP

The drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), used in the attempted attack were basic in design, Russian news site Lenta reports.

The UAVs featured an engine taped to a wooden frame, which carried two "home-made mines", it added.

Russia has not yet commented on the reports.

Source: BBC.com

Syrians with a 60 mile capable drone? I think it is pause worthy if a country like NK can amass a 1,000 drone fleet. Although Duck Taping an engine to a frame seems rather desperate!!

ETA: In the, "There is no such thing as coincidence" file (esp. the "13" in both stories)...
WashingtonTechnology.com - Raytheon, Department 13 form anti-drone tech partnership.

Yeah there's a lot of things North Korea is supposed to have, and then there's reality.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

If NK can develop ICBMs, one would think that number of drones would be reasonable....if not 'reality'.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The horror starts when swarms are used. 1 per person the size of a bullet. No more large bases.

edit on 1 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Look at what Russia has to put up with just for defending its neighbor from overseas terror..

Syria USED to be so beautiful.

Greater IS: coming to a country near you!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Why is this second simultaneous thread in Aircraft Projects?

link to first in World War Three forum...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
No the Russians have confirmed Nothing, because you can go to eng.mil.ru... or just mil.ru... and see for yourself that the Ministry has said no such thing ANYWHERE on their website. There is no video of an officer or any government source from Russia confirming this, and not a single memo or written statement has even been released. I have been searching all day.

The Russians are looking for a morale boost and got their RT to put out a fluff piece because they are taking damage and casualties at the mentioned airbase over the last few weeks. Did you see the alleged drones that are being referred as having state sponsored technology? A comical attempt to slap something together to add credibility to a clearly made up story.

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Now Al-Masdar has posted these images and claimed these are one of the drones they took control of. If this is what they expect us to believe was "state sponsored" technology, I have to say its a pathetic attempt to slap something together to try and add credibility to the story.

Click image for story

Again, these images or any press/news release regarding this story are not present or mentioned in any way on the Ministry's website.

It was a nice try though.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: face23785

If NK can develop ICBMs, one would think that number of drones would be reasonable....if not 'reality'.

Certainly. I'm not disputing that they can build drones. But like everything else about them, the claims about how many and how awesome they are are likely exaggerated by the WW3 fetishists.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Now I know the attacks were real. Because the ATS disinformation crowd is here downplaying it.

Anyhooo, RT is claiming this is an image of the bomblets attached to one of the wings. They 'look like' mortar rounds.

I'll wait in vain for any of our experts to identify their manufacturer.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
dude, six drones they allegedly hacked and took control of, and they give us a picture of a wooden hobby plane with some plastic taped on the sides?? Get real man. Your being played worse than the Russian people if you really buy this crap.

At least the Yemeni's are able to provide FLIR imaging of their alleged shootdown of a Saudi F-15, and they wear sandals!
The second largest military power on Earth gives us wooden toys and tape as confirmation of state sponsorship....

Again, why dont you try and find us something from ru.mil or their english version that comes close to confirming this??? eng.ru.mil
You keep ignoring that tibdbit don't you?
edit on 1-8-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Why is this second simultaneous thread in Aircraft Projects?

link to first in World War Three forum...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join