It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian army repels attack by 13 militant drones on its Syrian compounds - MoD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Bloody drones now?

Hmmmm....

Russian military have repelled a massive drone attack on its bases in Syria, which was carried out by militants, Moscow said. The extremists may have been aided by a “technologically advanced state,” it added.
The militants launched their assault during the night on Saturday, the ministry said in a statement. The Russian Kheimim Airbase in the Syrian Latakia province was attacked by 10 unmanned combat aerial vehicles, while three more attempted a strike against the Russian maritime logistics base located in the city of Tartus.

Looks like a pretty expensive FAIL by whoever initiated this drone attack..

Nice test though, going back to the drawing board obviously is needed.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker
Well according to the Ministry of Defense, they were actual UCAV's, seven of which were taken down by AA systems and six others they allegedly hacked and took control of. The ministry claims that these were sophisticated combat drones, not little DJI phantoms with 40mm shells dropping from above. The allegation is that these had to be manufactured by a state sponsor due to the technological sophistication.

Typically, the Russians are more than forthcoming with evidence, to which they have disclosed no images or video thus far. Im kind of wondering if this actually happened. I would think if they honestly had a chance to show the world they were attacked by technology only a rival state could produce, that they would line up all six drones they managed to override and put them on display.

So either this is a sly propaganda piece, or they are making arrangements on the side with whoever they suspect produced them for an explanation and restitution. But for now, I want to see them come up with some kind of evidence this even actually happened before I can comment further.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

a reply to: worldstarcountry

If it is true they got a few to land outside a base... it would be too good of an opportunity to just let slide.

More pics coming??? Let's see what RT follows up with, if anything.

Let's see how this "develops"... early stages at the moment..

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Back when I served they told us the Soviets would always do live training with real chemicals and real bullets. I bet it was training day.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I went to the actual Ministry of Defense's website, but they have not mentioned this attack yet even though other sources are claiming they are the source. Does the RT channel have any spokesman making this claim on video?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I visualize packages containing bombs being delivered by Amazon.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
OK yea I am believing more and more that this was a fluff PR piece to boost morale. This base has been under unrelenting attack for a month now, and allegedly several craft were destroyed in the December 31, which the Ministry denied. But they do acknowledge they have been under sustained attack for the last few weeks and that two servicemen died in the New Years eve attack.

Funny, I always ask people to show me an example of RT putting out fake news, and they have never been able to find one. Now it seems I have found what I always asked for. I believe this is fake news from the Ministry as a way to try and boost morale for their constant attacks and losses over the last month.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Hello worldstarcountry; currently did a pretty good look at the main site, no video;s etc as of yet.'

But it is the top running headline at the home page currently..for whatever thats worth..

Looking, but not finding as of yet mate. Sorry

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Now there's a money making idea.

Set up an eBay account, offering drones delivering packages anywhere in the world to the highest bidder.

We deliver what you want, when you want it, only limit restriction: must weigh less than 50 pounds.

No questions asked.

edit on 8-1-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
trust me, I was going to post it myself first thing this morning. But after exploring the Russian Ministry of Defense website, and crawling the web to try and corroborate these claims but finding nothing, I left it alone.

They have no video of anybody from the military making this claim on RT's youtube channel, there is no memo or written statement to refer to, and there is zero, zilch, nada on the Ministry's own website.

After understanding the losses this base has been taking several weeks now, I have just come to the conclusion the Russian people needed to hear something good to prevent them from catching that good 'ol war fatigue that America is pretty much immune too thanks to our entertainment surplus which numbs the minds of the population.

Not to mention, I finally get my first example of RT pushing what is seemingly a fake story, and I frequently visit them for alternative news.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Thanks worldstarcountry for your response and input...

Yeah, shame that RT would post a possible? fake news story...

Must be learning from CNN, NYT, WaPost, and et al?? (Ha! Sorry couldn't help it..)

Interesting to follow this one... because like you, I am also a bit "surprised"..

RT has historically had a higher truth factor in their news...in my opinion... though none are perfect.

EDIT: Given you stars for your responses mate.. good dialogue, appreciate it.

Pravdaseeker

edit on 8-1-2018 by pravdaseeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2018 by pravdaseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

You're not alone. I bet others besides me thought something like that. But it is probably like those in Star Wars.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman
Yea those drones you guys are talking have been deployed in that manner for the past two years in Syria and Iraq. Where yall been?

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: pravdaseeker

Bloody drones now?

Hmmmm....

Russian military have repelled a massive drone attack on its bases in Syria, which was carried out by militants, Moscow said. The extremists may have been aided by a “technologically advanced state,” it added.
The militants launched their assault during the night on Saturday, the ministry said in a statement. The Russian Kheimim Airbase in the Syrian Latakia province was attacked by 10 unmanned combat aerial vehicles, while three more attempted a strike against the Russian maritime logistics base located in the city of Tartus.

Pravdaseeker

So , Syrian extremists managed to capture and train 13 pigeons ?
Alrighty then

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
"Militant" Drones, how covert. If I was attacking the russkies I wouldn't use American equipment either, even though the 'militants' have plenty. That would be too obvious.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: pravdaseeker

Bloody drones now?

Hmmmm....

Pravdaseeker

Alrighty then

From that link. Tells all. Everyone knows who's behind the Extremist Militant Insurgency in Syria. Since it ain't the Russians or Syrians, theres only one occupying power left.

The extremists may have been aided by a “technologically advanced state,” it added.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Yo Gothmog; still laughing here....dark humour is therapeutic.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Alrighty then

Wait. More is coming.

They have already built "robot birds".

and MIT is working on flying robots that can land on power lines to recharge !

so...you see that flock of birds all perched on the power lines in front your home?

That could be a flock of "robots" sitting there to "recharge" their on-board batteries by sucking energy from the power-line.

Then the flock of birds take off to continue their "mission."

So, very soon, in our very reality, we'll see flocks of birds used in military operations, where they are weapons in disguise to confuse the enemy.

Next up, ants, dogs, cats, birds, snakes, beetles, bees, wasps, flies, locusts, all swarming weaponized robots employed to aid the battle.

The enemy won't be able to tell what's real and what's artificial, they'll be shooting at "anything that moves" destroying their own environment, annihilating everything in sight, just to keep safe.

It will be a wasteland.

edit on 8-1-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Its a fake story dude to prop up moral for the planes they lost on new years eve and the guys that were killed on base. How about you find anywhere the actual Ministry of Defense said any of this? I know you can never pass up an opportunity to basically call out the empire, but in this instance it is wrong.

If you can find corroboration anywhere, least of which the alleged original source the Ministry of Defense themselves, please do post. Because I dug deep, and found nothing. Even visited the Russian version of the site and used translate to read. No mention of this incident.

Now Al-Masdar has posted these images and claimed these are one of the drones they took control of. If this is what they expect us to believe was "state sponsored" technology, I have to say its a pathetic attempt to slap something together to try and add credibility to the story.

Click image for story

Again, these images or any press/news release regarding this story are not present or mentioned in any way on the Ministry's website.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Alrighty then

Wait. More is coming.

They have already built "robot birds".

and MIT is working on flying robots that can land on power lines to recharge !

so...you see that flock of birds all perched on the power lines in front your home?

That could be a flock of "robots" sitting there to "recharge" their on-board batteries by sucking energy from the power-line.

Then the flock of birds take off to continue their "mission."

So, very soon, in our very reality, we'll see flocks of birds used in military operations, where they are weapons in disguise to confuse the enemy.

Next up, ants, dogs, cats, birds, snakes, beetles, bees, wasps, flies, locusts, all swarming weaponized robots employed to aid the battle.

The enemy won't be able to tell what's real and what's artificial, they'll be shooting at "anything that moves" destroying their own environment, annihilating everything in sight, just to keep safe.

It will be a wasteland.

I wonder how they taste with BBQ and a little Louisiana Hot Sauce.
Guess I may get a chance to test , huh ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join