It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Arctic Deep Freeze

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LeoLeoMidWest

Disconnect the battery and bring it in the house to warm up!

Yeah, that thought occurred to me but I don't know if I could disconnect it and lug the gazillion pound battery into the house ?

I'm a weakling.

I don't have big strong Jesse Ventura arms.

I did that with my motorcycle battery and connected it to a trickle charger over the winter season every year, but a car battery is 3 times the size and weight.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm brave enough to horse around with a car battery...?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I lived in florida for a while and man you guys are pretty wimpy when it comes to cold. It was only there I saw grown men wearing blankets outside when it was 40 degrees!!! I do feel bad for the kids that aren't used to any cold and don't have jackets though!

I grew up down there south of Tampa, they are indeed wimpy pansy-asses when it comes to "cold" temperatures. 60 degrees and everyone breaks out thick pants, thermal gloves & heavy coats. Everyone used to flip out & ask how I wasn't freezing when I'd wear normal shorts, tanks and sandals while they were bundled up like Nanook of the North.
Nanook.
In Florida.
Give me a f#ing break.

We moved to MI, I don't shut my bedroom window at night until it dips into the 50's at night. Neither do many of my neighbors (some close windows in the low 60's at night, though, but they're elderly folks) I also have no problem shoveling snow in shorts and a tank, I find it pretty invigorating.

Floridians would have a nervous breakdown if they had Michigan Summer Night temps for more than a week or 2 every year, lmfao, temps in the 20's or 30's for months at a time would destroy them mentally.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
And you guys are tossing lots of awesome ideas at me !

Thanks for trying to keep me out of the doghouse...

You guys all rock !

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Just electrical tape is extremely temporary, like one time use.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
No seriously, it is waaaaaay easier than you may realize. Although the colors may actually be black, white, and green. I do not often see yellow and red inside of AC electrical cord. Lamps are cheap, so if you do not have any laying around just grab it from there. Your old man can work it out after the fact, but it really is that simple.
a reply to: Nyiah
You damn right we would go mental. I am going mental right now! And also, you can pretend the cold weather does not bother you at all, but the body will react the same. You can still get sick regardless of how comfortable you remain in the cold.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

To be fair I'm pretty whiny in the summer when the temp goes much above 90.
So it's a trade off.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
You damn right we would go mental. I am going mental right now! And also, you can pretend the cold weather does not bother you at all, but the body will react the same. You can still get sick regardless of how comfortable you remain in the cold.

If you're referring to frostbite, yes, if you don't pay attention to criteria for it and apply it to the conditions outside, you certainly can become injured. Sick, no. Illness doesn't work like that, it's a big,fat, very pervasive myth.
edit on 1/3/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

Only other thought is an old electric blanket and wrap that round- either that or go steal a neighbours

Oh man, what I wouldn't do right now to have one of those old electric car battery blankets that you wrap around the battery and plug into a wall socket.

Anyone remember those ?

They worked like a charm back in the day when most cars didn't have block heaters yet.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

So it's a trade off.

Makes two of us. I about died that whole one week of upper 80's/low 90's here over the summer
Not literally, of course, but we don't have A/C, as I imagine you probably don't, so I get the misery.

I can deal with that, though. In my experience going from one climate extreme to another, it's a whole hell of a lot easier to stay warm than to keep cool. You can add umpteen layers for warmth, only so many can come off to stay cool before you get slapped with indecent exposure.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yeah, me too.

The cold I can handle.

The heat ?

Not so much.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Your unprotected lungs will be susceptible to respiratory problems, especially if you breathe in through your mouth and not your nose. If there is even the faintest amount of water moisture in the air, you will not be having a pleasant week.

I am praying for the return of my 90 degree + 90% humidity weather. Thats when I am outside all day, and I love it.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It took me four years to acclimate to Florida's heat and to be able to wear Jeans! I couldn't believe it was 100 degrees and there were people in long pants, long sleeves without one bead of sweat. It is much much easier to acclimate to cold. It took just under two years to acclimate to the cold, and by year four you are much more comfortable. I'm not sure I was ever "comfortable" with heat near 100.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Dude. No bacteria or virus can live in this cold. They incubate well in the heat though.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Your unprotected lungs will be susceptible to respiratory problems, especially if you breathe in through your mouth and not your nose. If there is even the faintest amount of water moisture in the air, you will not be having a pleasant week.

I am praying for the return of my 90 degree + 90% humidity weather. Thats when I am outside all day, and I love it.

Where the heck are you getting this horse crap from? You seriously trying to convince me humidity is what does people in when you yourself live in a higher humidity winter climate than other states do? You might want to rethink that one, the logic is lacking.

The cold has a very minute effect on the immune system, so the only folks genuinely more susceptible to getting sick thanks to ANY effect from the cold are the already immune-compromised. Healthy people aren't catching the common cold from the cold temperatures, that's a side effect of increased close contact in colder months indoors.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

But I can't plug in my block heater cord to keep the battery warm because I broke the stupid plug end of it last week when I forgot to unplug it

I did that to a vacuum cleaner. I have done that to many vacuum cleaners. Now I have a new Dyson Animal and I am trying to pamper it, but I think I've noticed it trembles a little in fear when I go near it.

I know you've considered your options, but I would be calling a friend to bring me a new one? But, I live in a town, soo.
I like the hair dryer idea. Or hot plate. Or bring out the whole arsenal of hair stuff. Curling iron, flat iron.

Sorry it's so frustrating. I hate the idea of being stranded with no car.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
and everybody out here is still going through horrible respiratory illnesses as a result. Yes, cold humidity will harm your lungs. Im sticking to it.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

and everybody out here is still going through horrible respiratory illnesses as a result. Yes, cold humidity will harm your lungs. Im sticking to it.

Not up here we're not, according to the CDC map. The Regional categorization might be an overstatement, I'm not running across ANY sick people where I am, and there's no runs on OTC meds anywhere in my area.

Warmer, sunnier Florida, on the other hand, is categorized as Widespread. So much for your theory.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
its the cold man. We are not used to it, so of course we all getting sick.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

It's tempting to grab the blow dryer and stand there for 2 hours trying to warm up my battery with hot air, LOL !

It'll cool off faster than it can heat up.

I sat on the floor the other day, trying to thaw my sliding glass door, for half an hour. One door froze solid shut, garage door won't close, house back door is metal and swelled shut. I thought cold was supposed to reduce things, shrink things. Why do doors go against this ...?

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

LOL

Curling iron, flat iron.... now you're talking my language girlfriend !

But seriously, if I was stuck on the side of the highway in this situation I'd be calling a tow truck without hesitation. But the car is parked in my garage, and I'm all snug in my home.

I'm sure I could call up one of my friends to come get me and drive me to the city, but I really really don't want to put anyone out like that just because of my own stupidity.

I'd rather just take my licks like a big girl and face the music when hubby gets home.

It is tempting to try and splice on a plug end... maybe after a few more coffees I might dig around the house and see if I can salvage an old extension cord and slap something together.

I'm skeptical if plugging in the block heater will help my poor frozen battery anyway after it's been sitting unplugged for so long in these temps, but it's worth a try !

Who knows ? Maybe by this time tomorrow I'll be fighting with city traffic.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join