It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Arctic Deep Freeze

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

When you finally fix it why not connect it to the wall socket by a short extension cord. That way next time you forget and drive off there’s a 50:50 chance it’ll be the extension cord plug that breaks.

If you develop that idea and keep adding extension cords you’ll eventually get to the point where the chances of breaking it are miniscule - either that or you’ll be able to reach your destination while still plugged in.

Bob
edit on 3-1-2018 by DrBobH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I have a stray cat keeping my battery warm 👍🏻
I checked all around for the fan, it's well enclosed away from where the cat sleeps.

I would make sure you have electrical tape, and attempt the replacement. You tube is great for learning anything...and if the tape is wrapped up really good and tight and straight (no wrinkles), it'll stay fine for a long time.....

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

But the same can be said for some of you in the opposite weather. I've seen a lot of cold weather "warriors" wilt & burn up once the sun comes out and the temperatures consistently hit the 90s. Even the lower 100s aren't bad if you know how to deal with it, though humid heat is a different animal. (note: ex-Floridian here who can't handle the cold either)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

It'll cool off faster than it can heat up.

I sat on the floor the other day, trying to thaw my sliding glass door, for half an hour. One door froze solid shut, garage door won't close, house back door is metal and swelled shut. I thought cold was supposed to reduce things, shrink things. Why do doors go against this ...?

Tell me about it !

The side door on our garage is frozen/stuck shut, I discovered that when I tried to get in this morning. Stupid steel door wouldn't budge, it expanded to the point that it's wedged shut, plus the deadbolt is frozen stuck.

So I had to go in via the overhead door.

No big deal really, it just kind of surprised me that the door expanded ? Or maybe the framing around it expanded ?

Crazy.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Oh electrical tape we have plenty of.

Hubby is a millwright/electrician, so there's no shortage of electrical tape and wirestrippers kicking around in this old house.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

You've got some good, very good instructions on here, and I might be tempted to try it myself, but I have what I shall call "fear of electrocution". lol. It's when you plugged it the 'repaired' one, that would be touch and go.

You might do better with a few shots of your favorite poison, rather than coffee though.
For courage.

Good luck. But I know I'd rather explain to my husband, rather than face certain death.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Everything is expanding. Except tires. Numbers are way down, air shrinkage, it was nicer when vehicles didn't tell you every time a tire is slightly low, lol.
My main door, and the framing are all metal, likely wood door core inside though 🤔, and 2x6 wood framing behind the metal frame....

Need a new set of glass doors, ones that don't get an inch of ice on the inside, so I can escape if needed

Every cold winter seems to bring a new set of adventures

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I feel your pain, this morning when I woke it was a icy 65 degrees (18 celsius) down here in Arizona, stay warm.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

You've got some good, very good instructions on here, and I might be tempted to try it myself, but I have what I shall call "fear of electrocution". lol.

Me too.

I have an honest to gawd fear of electricity, something hubby doesn't understand being an electrician.

But I've been zapped before where I was literally thrown 4 feet back, scared the crap out of me so bad that I now have almost a phobia about it.

Speaking of which....

Does anyone know if trying to splice together wires on my block heater will risk me getting zapped ? I don't know if a block heater carries any kind of a charge when it's not plugged in ?

I never even thought of that....

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Oh you desert/tropic dwellers...

Just you bastages wait until the ice age kicks in.

Then we frozen chosen will be having the last laugh on your sorry inexperienced butts !

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: nwtrucker

Heh.

No such thing as uber in the rural countryside... and getting a tow truck out here to give me a simple 2 minute boost would cost a fortune since the nearest one is an hour away.

Did you check your auto insurance policy?

Depending on what you got, you may already have coverage for a truck to come out and get your car started, at no cost to you.

If not, get AAA (in us) or CAA (in Canada) and they'll come and fix your problem up to 2 times per year FREE.

edit on 3-1-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: thesaneone

Oh you desert/tropic dwellers...

Just you bastages wait until the ice age kicks in.

Then we frozen chosen will be having the last laugh on your sorry inexperienced butts !

Lol, good thing I had over 35 years experience of north eastern Illinois, but yeah, 1 year in the desert broke my ass and now I'm a pansy when it hits the 40's.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Totally agree! Many people here get extra cranky with anything over 75!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

a reply to: nwtrucker

Heh.

No such thing as uber in the rural countryside... and getting a tow truck out here to give me a simple 2 minute boost would cost a fortune since the nearest one is an hour away.

Did you check your auto insurance policy?

Depending on what you got, you may already have coverage for a truck to come out and get your car started, at no cost to you.

If not, get AAA (in us) or CAA (in Canada) and they'll come and fix your problem up to 2 times per year FREE.

Yeah, I had CAA many many years ago when we lived in the city and were both working full time.

But since moving out here, I haven't bothered with it. I hardly go anywhere to justify the annual cost to have that kind of coverage.

And hubby is a mechanical genius, so any car problems we've ever had he fixes himself.

Although I must say, CAA is definitely a nice thing to have living up here in the sub-arctic... if you don't mind waiting 6 hours for a truck to show up because a gazillion other people are also calling for their services when the temps get like this.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
A balmy -7 here today which is a much needed respite same tomorrow then back into the freezer for the weekend.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

There should just be a heating element and thermal sensor to prevent overheating in the heater block itself - nothing that’s going to hold charge.

Just make sure you don’t plug the new end into the wall before splicing it!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

Okay thanks, I'm going to hold you to that.

But if I get zapped buddy... I'm gonna hunt you down and splice together body parts you didn't even know you had !

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

77-85 with a slight breeze is the perfect weather for me. (starts to drool) Unfortunately, we're just getting above the single digit temperatures, though I shouldn't complain because that's still better than what some people in this thread are going through.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
OKAY! Looks like she's going in, folks!

You guys better hang in here with her, in case she needs you! CHECK this thread OFTEN.

*CS, take your cell phone with you to the garage. Uh. Just because.

I still like the hairdryer idea better. Sigh.

Let us know.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thinking about this some more - whilst I’d be comfortable splicing it myself (should use a junction box really) as a emergency fix I’d give it a swerve if you’re not 100% confident.

All it would take is a badly spliced wire and you could end up with a loose connection that could cause heat build up and result in it shorting.

Better a late prezzie than an electrocuted wife and burnt down house!

Should have thought of that earlier

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join