It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Email Shows Senate Probe Can Extend To Anyone "Of Russian Descent"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The Young Turks Network (TYT), a popular progressive YouTube channel and news site, has obtained a bombshell internal email related to the Senate committee probing alleged Russian interference in the American political system, and though currently being covered in Russian media, mainstream US media is passing it over without comment.

The email reveals that the Senate committee has deemed anyone "of Russian nationality or Russian descent" relevant to its investigation, which means the Russiagate conspiracy theory and accompanying congressional investigation has officially jumped straight from neo-McCarthyism - smearing anyone that may have had contact with Russian government officials, diplomats or intelligence, and into xenophobia - eyeing any and all Russians or friends of Russians as a potential threat plain and simple, which is far down the slippery slope that many commentators have long predicted.

www.zerohedge.com...

Wow.

According to figures published by the Institute of Modern Russia in 2011, based on Census Bureau figures, the Russian American population is estimated to be 3.13 million, or just over one percent of the total US population.

So are you of "Russian descent" and have any level of interest in US politics - perhaps you occasionally read the newspaper, or have ever called in to a radio talk show? You could be subpoenaed for merely existing on American soil!

The email mentioned is in the article.

This is just insanity.

What next, placing people with russian heritage in internement camps?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Is there even one Russian member in this site. I got to wondering about that a while ago. Have never noticed one. I supposed they'd be afraid to speak about it. See just about everyone else talk about their decadency at some point. And then I've seen threads straight calling out pre-emptively demonizing the very idea of a Russian being able to post here. What kind of bigoted 'racism' is that, what kind of diversity, now?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It appears that email is discussing a clarification of the phrase "Russian persons". Which they should clarify, as it is too vague.

Really not much to see here. They used a vague term/phrase and worked to further clarify/define.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

What do you expect? If we are to believe the media then this is good news because it is clearly the Russians that are responsible for everything that is wrong with this country.

Lets continue to not focus not the staggering level of corruption that exists among our "elected" officials! Lets not worry about the debt creating system that has been used to enrich the top .01% and their puppet democrat/republican puppets and some how the masses just can not seem to figure out.

Everything is Trump and Russia's fault!!

This level of delusion is dangerous.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Technically, I am of Finnish Russian Decent because Finland was under the control of Russia when my grandfather moved here. He had to swear to break allegence with Nicolas the second or something like that on his immigration papers.

I blame that on Sweden, they believed they owned Finland and gave it to Russia in a treaty or something.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I, projectvxn, do admit and affirm that I had, between the years of 2012 and 2015, knowingly, without reservation, and of sound mind, procured and used substandard tools from a Russian on 60 UH60M helicopters in service to the US; I and all other members of maintenance, maintenance management, quality control, and production control office, knowingly, without reservation, and of sound mind, engaged in collusion with this Russian on multiple occasions per day to obtain materials, tools, digital components(including classified materials) that were used on nearly all military aircraft.
edit on 28 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Ouch; when we interned the Japanese Americans it was because we were at world war with the Japanese... And we now accept that was wrong.

When we McCarthyed the communists (or any one we wanted to be communists) it was because we were at cold war with the communists... And we now accept that was wrong.

Now we are going down that same road because ... because... we are at war ... with Donald Trump?

Man we are unhinged up in here.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Ouch; when we interned the Japanese Americans it was because we were at world war with the Japanese... And we now accept that was wrong.

When we McCarthyed the communists (or any one we wanted to be communists) it was because we were at cold war with the communists... And we now accept that was wrong.

Now we are going down that same road because ... because... we are at war ... with Donald Trump?

No. We are not going down the same road.

It appears the verbiage used was in the process of being clarified and despite the title of the OP, and both sources used for the article, it does not apply to "anyone". It only applied to the specific request made in one case involving Charles Johnson.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Your post in on point Mr. D!

Just wish more people saw this for the insanity that it is.

Political chicanery in this new era is something else.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

It appears that email is discussing a clarification of the phrase "Russian persons". Which they should clarify, as it is too vague.

Really not much to see here. They used a vague term/phrase and worked to further clarify/define.

The email was sent to a person they wished to provide info of russian persons he had contact with.

Concerning the precise context to the email, TYT reports the following:

On July 27, 2017, Charles C. Johnson, a controversial right-wing media figure, received a letter from Sens. Burr and Warner requesting that he voluntarily provide materials in his possession that are “relevant” to the committee’s investigation. Relevant materials, the letter went on, would include any records of interactions Johnson had with “Russian persons” who were involved in some capacity in the 2016 U.S. elections.

The committee further requested materials related to “Russian persons” who were involved in some capacity in “activities that related in any way to the political election process in the U.S.” Materials may include “documents, emails, text messages, direct messages, calendar appointments, memoranda, [and] notes,” the letter outlined.

They then define russian persons as anyone of russian descent.

That is a horrible standard.

So anyone he had contact with that are merely a poll station worker, a journalsits, or any other such thing, and you happen to be of russian heritage, your name needs to be given to the senate committee.

People being supected based merely on their race? thats absurd.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't think we're necessarily going down the same road here. But I think you're glossing over a few details.

Nevermind, Grambler caught it. Please read his post. Those details are pretty important.
edit on 28 12 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

It appears the verbiage used was in the process of being clarified and despite the title of the OP, and both sources used for the article, it does not apply to "anyone". It only applied to the specific request made in one case involving Charles Johnson.

The email text.

"Robert

I just tried calling your office to discuss. I've left a message with you assistant. The provision we discussed narrowing was clarifying that the phrase "Russian persons" in the Committees Jult 27, 2017 may be read to refer to persons that Mr. Johnson knows or has reason to believe are of Russian nationality or descent.

With that clarification that we previously discussed, does your client anticipate voluntarily providing documents and participating in a closed staff interview?

Thanks, April"

They are saying that anyone this guy has had contact with that he knows or think could possibly have russian descent needs to be provided to the committee.

You can downplay that all you want, it is a disgusting racist mccarthyist thing to do.

edit on 28-12-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I don't like Donald Trump as much as the next guy. But seriously we are coming unhinged over his election. A president is simply not THIS important; sure (s)he's important but we have plenty of other government institutions that provide checks and balances. If Donald Trump and his orange skin is really as bad as people think he is than we ride out the sunshower and elect someone better in 3 years. He really isn't worth the hisyeria.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

They then define russian persons as anyone of russian descent.

That is a horrible standard.

Yes it is and that was why Johnson's lawyer asked for further clarification. It seems the clarification was discussed.

So anyone he had contact with that are merely a poll station worker, a journalsits, or any other such thing, and you happen to be of russian heritage, your name needs to be given to the senate committee.

Agaib, it appears they worked to further clarify. Do you know what that exact clarification was?

People being supected based merely on their race? thats absurd.

Russian is a nationality, not a race.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

"Race", Russian is not a race, it is a Nationality....white European is a race.

Still, divide and conquer......

Looks like people are now "Classified" by their ancestry.

People are now...Russian-Americans, Japanese-Americans, German-Americans, African (because we dont know or care what country you came from)-Americans, Korean-Americans, Finnish-Americans, French-Americans, Jewish(because its impolite to say what country you came from)-Americans, Native-Americans, etc etc etc.

Interestingly, the first English/British-Americans are just called....Americans??

Will the Real Americans, Please stand up, so we know who you are......

No, you Pontiac, sit down, and you Cochise, nor you Tecumseh, and you little Big Bear, and you Screaming Eagle, sit down please....you are not real Americans.....

Note: said in jest to my American cousins....but you know this is getting ridiculous, surely....and dont call me shirley!!

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

They are saying that anyone this guy has had contact with that he knows or think could possibly have russian descent needs to be provided to the committee.

They are saying that the phrase "Russian persons" could be interpreted that way and needs to be clarified.

You can downplay that all you want,

No need to downplay it. It is a vague request and it appears the lawyer did his job by asking for clarification.

it is a disgusting racist mccarthyist thing to do.

How is it racist?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Do you know what that exact clarification was?

Yes!

I know what the exact clarification was, because she says it in the email!

" The provision we discussed narrowing was clarifying that the phrase "Russian persons" in the Committees Jult 27, 2017 may be read to refer to persons that Mr. Johnson knows or has reason to believe are of Russian nationality or descent. "

She is clarifying when they said "Russian Persons" they mean people Mr. Johnson knows or believes are of Russian nationality or descent.

You think that is not a big deal?

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I don't like Donald Trump as much as the next guy. But seriously we are coming unhinged over his election. A president is simply not THIS important; sure (s)he's important but we have plenty of other government institutions that provide checks and balances. If Donald Trump and his orange skin is really as bad as people think he is than we ride out the sunshower and elect someone better in 3 years. He really isn't worth the hisyeria.

I don't see how this has much to do with Trump.

It's a vague request from a committee and the lawyer, rightfully, worked to get further clarification. I'd like to see what that was, though.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I don't see how this has much to do with Trump.

It's a vague request from a committee and the lawyer, rightfully, worked to get further clarification. I'd like to see what that was, though.

Would we be having this conversation if Marco Rubio was the president? .... that's why it has to do with Trump's election.

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Perhaps we are just interpreting the email differently.

Suppose it depends on the intent behind using the phrase "may be".

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join