It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking wrong Earth size from the moon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

oh i see
sorry

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Sorry to revive a dead horse, but glad I found this thread to not beat the horse again.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: heineken
Debunking claims that Earth's size from the moon in Nasa images is wrong such as the following :

The picture above is not taking into account the distance of the camera on board the satellite.

This is the result of my 3D simulation, which is to scale.

Note: Because of losing resolution the shot was taken 3/4 distance to the camera on board the DSCOVR satellite. But the result will only get closer to Nasa's image.

So now this is how Earth looks from the moon in the same simulation:

The results shows that both pictures from nasa are to scale as expected and it's not a valid argument to bring up.

We all know what the moon looks like to the human eye on earth. Of course the earth would look about 3.7 times bigger to the human eye on the moon, since the earth is about 3.7 times bigger than the moon.

edit on 9-9-2019 by Ove38 because: text fix

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ove38

The issue is not how the Earth looks from the moon to the eye but how a camera's lens will make it t appear.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ove38

originally posted by: heineken
Debunking claims that Earth's size from the moon in Nasa images is wrong such as the following :

The picture above is not taking into account the distance of the camera on board the satellite.

This is the result of my 3D simulation, which is to scale.

Note: Because of losing resolution the shot was taken 3/4 distance to the camera on board the DSCOVR satellite. But the result will only get closer to Nasa's image.

So now this is how Earth looks from the moon in the same simulation:

The results shows that both pictures from nasa are to scale as expected and it's not a valid argument to bring up.

We all know what the moon looks like to the human eye on earth. Of course the earth would look about 3.7 times bigger to the human eye on the moon, since the earth is about 3.7 times bigger than the moon.

Here is a picture of the Earth taken by Apollo 11 with a 250mm lens on the Hasselblad 70mm film camera:

And here is another taken by the same 70 mm film camera (part of the same film magazine) but with the 80 mm lens instead of the 250 mm lens:

So the lens used matters.

Similarly, the moon taken from Earth looks tiny with the standard lens on a common consumer camera (tiny compared to how large it seemed to your eyes):

But can look larger with different cameras and different lenses:

edit on 9/12/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What the moon and earth looks like through different lenses is irrelevant. We all know what the moon looks like to the human eye on earth. Of course the earth would look about 3.7 times bigger to the human eye on the moon, since the earth is about 3.7 times bigger than the moon. Don't remember any Apollo astronaut saying anything about that.

edit on 19-9-2019 by Ove38 because: text fix

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ove38

You checked right? Been through all the audio and transcripts? Are you expecting comments along the lines of "Wow Houston Earth sure looks 3.7 times bigger than the moon does..."?

Certainly didn't take me long to find this from Apollo 11 EVA:

"I'm looking at the Earth, it's big and bright and beautiful"

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ove38
What the moon and earth looks like through different lenses is irrelevant. We all know what the moon looks like to the human eye on earth. Of course the earth would look about 3.7 times bigger to the human eye on the moon, since the earth is about 3.7 times bigger than the moon. Don't remember any Apollo astronaut saying anything about that.

The distance away your eye is from each object you are comparing is relevant (in this case the eye's distance from both the Earth and Moon).

Your image above amounts to what is almost a side-by-side comparison of the sizes of the Moon and Earth. That wasn't the case with the image in the OP. The Moon was not in the same side-by-side plane as the Earth; the Moon was roughly 24% closer to the camera than the earth was in the OP image.

The DSCOVR spacecraft was about 1,000,000 miles from Earth, and the Moon was between them. So DSCOVR was about 760,000 miles from the Moon.

Therefore, the Moon would look larger than it really is (by about 24%) when when comparing the Earth size as seen from 1 million miles away to the Moon size as seen from 760,000 miles away.

Similarly, if I were 2000 miles from the Moon and 240,000 miles from Earth looking back at both of them at the same time, the Moon would look huge compared to the Earth.

edit on 9/19/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join