It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking wrong Earth size from the moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Debunking claims that Earth's size from the moon in Nasa images is wrong such as the following :

The picture above is not taking into account the distance of the camera on board the satellite.

This is the result of my 3D simulation, which is to scale.

Note: Because of losing resolution the shot was taken 3/4 distance to the camera on board the DSCOVR satellite. But the result will only get closer to Nasa's image.

So now this is how Earth looks from the moon in the same simulation:

The results shows that both pictures from nasa are to scale as expected and it's not a valid argument to bring up.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: heineken

Look up focal length comparisons. Different ones make things look closer (larger) or further away (smaller).

Here's a link that explains it all for you.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

yes in fact actual focal lengths for both cameras were used.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: heineken

yes in fact actual focal lengths for both cameras were used.

Used for what?

You’ve plugged in data and distances into a 3D simulation. That will show you actual distance and looks, but not show what’s seen with different focal lengths.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

the camera settings used in both apollo and the satellite were taken into account, that' s all im saying.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: heineken

the camera settings used in both apollo and the satellite were taken into account, that' s all im saying.

That makes no sense as the image you presented is just a screen grab from the simulation software.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

You can go into more details about this here Perspective Camera , I used this camera and as you can see it simulates much better than 'grabbing screens'.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You still have a single image.

The Apollo 11 camera and DSCOVR focal lengths are very different.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

did you go through the link ? I set the focal length for both cameras..the satellite image of course its cropped and zoomed in.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Heineken, I saw a thread where you brought up this topic, and Phage explained it very clearly for you. It doesn't take a physicists to figure this out. You are very wrong-headed here, so try to look at this moon business from the other perspective, and let go of these stubborn and incorrect ideas you have. You're not doing yourself any favors by clinging to this idea.

Okay buddy?

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Im ok buddy thanks.

I dont think you made it past the first picture I posted did you.
edit on 22-12-2017 by heineken because: (no reason given)

just in cased you missed it this is my conclusion.

The results shows that both pictures from nasa are to scale as expected and it's not a valid argument to bring up.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
dude stop
you are going deep i this stuff and theres no coming back

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Nope.

There is no atmosphere on the moon to affect the view and there is nothing on the moon that gives a comparison to affect perception of size like there is on earth. Look at a moon-rise on earth and it appears larger because you have things in the view that help give the brain some perspective.

Once the moon is high in the sky it looks smaller than if it were on the horizon.

It is 250k miles from Earth and the measuring items left behind from our manned moon missions confirms that.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It should also be pointed out that the DSCOVR spacecraft was father away from Earth than it was from the Moon when the image was taken. So the relative size of the Earth as seen from DSCOVER (which was about 1,000,000 from Earth) will be different than the relative size of the Moon when seen from DSCOVER (which was about 760,000 miles from the Moon. The Moon being closer than the earth, it would look slightly larger compared to Earth than it should.

I mean, if we were only 100 feet away from the Moon, it would look HUGE compared to Earth.

About 2 years ago, I made a post in a thread asking if something was wrongs with the Moon because the DSCOVER image didn't look like the earth and Moon were the right sizes relative to each other. In that post, I explained why.

This is part of that post from 2 years ago:

Here is one of the still images from the DSCOVR spacecraft that is 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels total. I measured the diameter of the Earth to be roughly ( I may be off by a few pixels) 1600 pixels wide. The Moon in that same image was roughly 575 pixels wide. The relative difference between those is that the Earth is 278% larger.

FULL Size Image:
www.extremetech.com...

Smaller image to fit in this thread (use link to full size image above):

Now, that's not to say that the Earth is 278% larger than the moon, because it isn't. The Earth is about 7926 miles in diameter while the Moon is about 2160 miles in diameter. So calculating the actual size difference between the Earth and Moon would mean the Earth is 367% larger than the Moon...

...So why is there a discrepancy in the relative size of Earth to the Moon in the DSCOVR/EPIC image (367% versus 278%)? What's up with that?

Than answer is simple: The Moon was closer to the DSCOVR spacecraft than the Earth was when the picture was taken, so the Moon will look larger than it should be in comparison to Earth. The spacecraft was about 1,000,000 miles from Earth when the picture was taken, but only about 760,000 miles away from the Moon. So the distance between DSCOVER and Moon was only 76% of the distance between EPIC and the Earth.

76% of 367% = 278%.

B-I-N-G-O! The relative sizes in the EPIC image are correct.

edit on 22/12/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Shot #4 is wide angle, boom.

posted on Dec, 22 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Forced perspective.

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here's the advice I always give to people who make this claim:

Go out and admire the moon. See how big and shiny it is. Now take a photo of it. Disappointing right?

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
dude stop
you are going deep i this stuff and theres no coming back

dude stop and READ

im debunking this claim not making it lol

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

NO
they debunked it for you

posted on Dec, 23 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord

NO
they debunked it for you

heineken debunked it in his OP.

The wording was a little hard to follow, but he was explaining the logcal reasons why the Earth looked so big in the DSCOVER image but small in the Apollo image.

edit on 23/12/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join