It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nestlé CEO says water is not a human right and should be privatized

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Yup, that's what he says...
This money is all mentality has got to stop.
Here's the link.
Nestlé CEO statement and story

Personally, I think he should be dropped on the Sahara for a week without water and see how he feels after that.
edit on 14-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

The point is, he is in no position to dictate what are, and what are not human rights. Only the majority get to decide that sort of thing, and he is not in it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I read most of the hit piece(that's what it is, it's not a news article) but I can't find the part where he says that? It's just a series of words claiming he said it. Am I missing something?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

If he invented water, he might have a point, but alas he did not therefore it's not his to be sole custodian of.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Call me out on this, but i loooove your hair. I have long hair but damn your hair makes even me envious lol!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

Have a tour of the lake superior region. Ask some of the local populace long term residents how much the water table has dropped. For 100$ they can take as much water as they like, and sell it. It mat be technically legal, yet seriously wrong. Why can't any of these mega corporations give back to any of the regions they affect? It's not like they can't afford it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If water is a human right, why are so many around the world dying without it?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
ok he actually believes the exact opposite and this whole thing is silly. Legitimate Huffington Post Article Here's what he actually said.

The water you need for survival is a human right, and must be made available to everyone, wherever they are, even if they cannot afford to pay for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Ask the representitives you voted for.

Clinton is a #$$ you might want to ask her.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Never heard of your source "MegaFargo" but it doesn't seem like a good one.

The Internet (almost) exploded this week when Americans Against the Tea Party linked to a video with the title: “Nestlé Chairman: Water Not a Right, Should Be Given a ‘Market Value’ and Privatized.” In it, Nestlé Chairman and former CEO Peter Brabeck suggests that declaring water a right is ‘extreme’ and asserts that water is a foodstuff best valued and distributed by the free market. Video below — starts about at 2:00 mark. The rhetoric is admittedly absurd.

But before we rip out our hair in a fit of #OccupyNestlé rage, let’s talk back-story. The five-minute clip is part of a larger video about food security filmed in 2005. Every few months it surfaces, triggering a firestorm of criticism. This time, it even trended on Twitter. People were shocked at the inhumanity of Brabeck’s statement, and rightly so. Taken at face value, the video appears to pit the world’s largest seller of bottled water against the 783 million people struggling to access what little water they need to survive. That’s after allegations and rebuttals regarding Nestlé’s role in restricting water access to several poor communities.

The fact remains: humans have a right to clean water. Apart from making good moral sense, the right to water is recognized by the United Nations and protected by several treaties and national constitutions. But wait! Brabeck and Nestlé have since recognized the right to water. Nestlé’s corporate policy asserts “the right of all people to have access to clean water to meet their basic human needs...”

Brabeck states his position on his blog: Let me be very clear about this again here on the blog, because I think the video clip, which took my views out of context, isn’t clear about the point I was trying to make. The water you need for survival is a human right, and must be made available to everyone, wherever they are, even if they cannot afford to pay for it.

Perhaps the question was settled sometime between 2005 and the present. Perhaps Brabeck’s original comments were in fact desperately out of context. Perhaps we’re just meant to feel better. Whatever the case, most of us are left scratching our heads, wondering what having a ‘right to water’ really means.

Another crappy source

edit on 14-12-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Agreed. As you and TrueBrit have pointed out, it's not his or the company he represents property or invention.

My belief is, if you require something for life that is a natural resource, Noone should be able to privatize it and charge you for access.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Nestle water is some of the worst bottled water I've ever had, it gives aquafina a run for it's money.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Here in England if I wish to use the clean piped water to my home I have to pay a "for profit" business. It is a monopoly as well, no other company can supply my home.
There are no laws preventing me drawing water from the stream down the road though, I just prefer paying the water company to clean it up for me.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

How about Bloomberg?

Parts of Michigan are in a water crisis, and Nestlé isn't supplying them with drinking water without charge. Yet they are bottling there.
Link

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

Ask the representitives you voted for.

Clinton is a #$$ you might want to ask her.

I've never voted, and I'm not American.

But thanks.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: YouOkayHun

I paid 22,000$ for my private well on my property, as there is no public or private water utility here. It is my responsibility to see if it's potable. However I do allow anyone who needs water to fill up as many containers as they like. As do many other residents up here.
Forgot to add: I test it annually and fortunately have great water.
edit on 14-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Can you answer this then?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

Can you answer this then?

Um, my own question?

Is something wrong with you? Either way I am done with you.

Have a drink, or get help.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

Good point. And why does bottled water cost more than fuel for vehicles per gallon?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

He talks about it here, saying it should be a right to drink, but not to wash your car, etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join