It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nestlé CEO says water is not a human right and should be privatized

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ahahaha Spaceballs. Relevant to so many situations

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

3.08$ here for a gallon of fuel here. Water .99$/quart

4 quarts/gallon.

edit on 14-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: Had to re-edit my edit. Due to brain fart

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Hewhowaits

If he invented water, he might have a point, but alas he did not therefore it's not his to be sole custodian of.

If Nestle want to install and pay for solar powered water desalination plants along the coastline of countries and charge their own prices, then that's fair. But they don't have the right to claim natural freshwater resources as theirs to sell.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Doesn't this crap get posted once a year on ATS?

Why not dig up the old one and bump it?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

What a nice man...

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits
Yup, that's what he says...
This money is all mentality has got to stop.
Here's the link.
Nestlé CEO statement and story

Personally, I think he should be dropped on the Sahara for a week without water and see how he feels after that.

Additional research to confirm facts is important, especially when the article that is posted is using a 5 minute segment out of an over hour long speech given back in 2005 discussing food security.

Nestlé Chairman Peter Brabeck Says We Don’t Have a Right to Water, Believes We Do Have a Right to Water and Everyone’s Confused. (Video)

The Internet (almost) exploded this week when Americans Against the Tea Party linked to a video with the title: “Nestlé Chairman: Water Not a Right, Should Be Given a ‘Market Value’ and Privatized.” In it, Nestlé Chairman and former CEO Peter Brabeck suggests that declaring water a right is ‘extreme’ and asserts that water is a foodstuff best valued and distributed by the free market.

Video below — starts about at 2:00 mark.

The rhetoric is admittedly absurd. But before we rip out our hair in a fit of #OccupyNestlé rage, let’s talk back-story.

The five-minute clip is part of a larger video about food security filmed in 2005. Every few months it surfaces, triggering a firestorm of criticism. This time, it even trended on Twitter.

People were shocked at the inhumanity of Brabeck’s statement, and rightly so. Taken at face value, the video appears to pit the world’s largest seller of bottled water against the 783 million people struggling to access what little water they need to survive. That’s after allegations and rebuttals regarding Nestlé’s role in restricting water access to several poor communities.

The fact remains: humans have a right to clean water.
Apart from making good moral sense, the right to water is recognized by the United Nations and protected by several treaties and national constitutions.

But wait! Brabeck and Nestlé have since recognized the right to water. Nestlé’s corporate policy asserts “the right of all people to have access to clean water to meet their basic human needs...” Brabeck states his position on his blog:

Let me be very clear about this again here on the blog, because I think the video clip, which took my views out of context, isn’t clear about the point I was trying to make. The water you need for survival is a human right, and must be made available to everyone, wherever they are, even if they cannot afford to pay for it.

So.. yeah...
edit on 14-12-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There is no fracking where I live. None. I have the water tested twice a year, I'll be happy to bottle some up and sell it to you.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
a reply to: intrptr

There is no fracking where I live. None. I have the water tested twice a year, I'll be happy to bottle some up and sell it to you.

It doesn't have to be very near you to pollute the aquifer. You said you have a stream, streams were declared unsafe to drink when I was a kid boyscout 50 years ago, everywhere, at any altitude.

What kind of testing do you perform on your well water, specifically.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Of course the CEO of a multinational company that makes billions of dollars would just come right out and say "you retards pay us billions for what we pay hundreds for and we aren't going to stop even if you can't afford it, or we drain your local aquifer".

Sure , I always trust what a millionaire spokesman has to say- it's those regular Joe's working for 50-60 grand you can't trust.

Really? I'm the bad guy here?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I know the story in the OP is old, still Nestle can suck it hard, they sure like Canada's water..and even if the citizen has water use restrictions..Nestle has no such restrictions, they even fought in court against restrictions..for themselves.
www.vice.com...
edit on 14-12-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not at all and sorry if my post came across like that. I was merely pointing out that the article in question used a segment of a video that was taken out of context from an hour long video from 206 discussing feed security.
edit on 14-12-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

To be honest. I saw it the headline on a news aggregate site this morning. Clicked on it, said "wtf?" Then remembered all the old timers around here griping about Nestlé screwing the lakes water level. Didn't search well enough to see this has been beat to death, along with anyone who proposed it.

No harm no foul.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The issue is still relevant to B.C. residents, and Ontario as well, we get water restrictions and Nestle gets hundreds of millions of liters for about 650$

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

You have a voice in this and propaganda and misleading articles does not help any cause. Simply do not buy the water from them. Bottled water is a luxury people don't need anyway in most cases.

The water coming out of my tap tests better than most bottled water. I pay an insignificant amount of money for it a month. Most of the country's tap water is good and safe. People who choose the bottled water may not be spending their money wisely, but it's their choice to do so.

Without customers, these companies you hate fail. People speak with their wallets. Without the large companies, you could not afford the device you are posting with. Only they can put out a product like that at an affordable price. Vehicles if not for the big companies would be a luxury only the rich would have. Research and development of new things could not happen.

Most people rely on investments in big companies stock for their retirement funds. Most stock is owned by funds like that, which benefit the average person.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

While I understand what you are getting at, it's pretty pointless and ineffective to attempt changing a companies buisness practices by me boycotting a product.

On the other half of your statement where I wouldn't be able to afford the device I'm posting on-
Well, I really believe that wouldn't be that big of a deal.
The internet and all these devices have not changed anything for the better in my opinion.
I was around before the internet and all this high speed social connectedness. And you know what? People were better, life was better, products were better, prices were better.
You'll have to forgive me for not worshipping the corporations that sell us new junk every year. All it does is fill landfills and reduce what's left of our privacy from marketing and government. And social media doesn't seem to be improving life by idolizing money.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Or maybe I'm just old.
But I kinda miss the way it was.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I have just looked at that and immediately thought to myself what an EVIL looking person, now I know how he look's has nothing to do with it but from a religious, ethical and historical point of view he is exactly that EVIL and also TOTALY and ABSOLUTELY as well as LEGALLY WRONG.
A Belgian eh, there are many decent people in and from Belgium but he is frankly not one of them, he presides over a corporation that run's child slavery, has polluted and destroyed natural water sources in places like Brazil, uses GM crop's in food they sell around the world even though much of it will in time be proven to cause defects and disease in people and most often without people knowing what they are eating - and his company destroyed my favorite Cadburys turning the best chocolate in the world into plastic cheese crap (for which alone He most definitely should be broiled on a rack over hot coal's slowly).
And now the hard faced thieving scum wan't so take our water and call it his like he think's that he is god or something, too much power and too much evil in one person.

If the world had less parasites like him it would be a happier and more progressive place for the rest of us.

edit on 14-12-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Baboons have been known to kill humans in times of drought to drink their blood for moisture.
Extrapolate that situation to millions of humans that can't afford a drink of water.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
one of the towns in my area has started putting meters on new wells people are drilling outside city limits how state allowing this i dont know . my town has a ordinance if water main passes your house they can charge you whether you have tapped the main or not.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Some times it is hard to remember.

This is one man's opinion and opinions are much like ars holes. Every body has one and they only work for the one who has it.

Of course there is an exception when it is the ars hole on the ars hole in charge. But, I have to ask ... What is this one really in charge of ?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

That must be a town related tax or something. I wonder if the town paid for the wells? I don't see anyone would pay for water off their own property unless it's not their well. Wierd.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join