It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill banning Down syndrome abortions passes in Ohio, heads to Kasich's desk

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

A huge decision only effecting a womans legal options was made by 6 women and 27 men.

The general mentality that creates nonsense like this is why the people I know have stopped doing business in the states.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
well.... there goes equality under the law...
now some of the unborn are more worthy to be protected than others...

and as far as babies being a burden,
well, get to know someone who has taken it upon themselves to be the primary caregiver of their parents as they slip away because of alzhiemers, and look and see just how much they have sacrificed to ensure their parent has a safe loving home and the emotional toll it takes on them over time.

now, consider a baby that will never mentally mature to the point where they don't need adult supervision 24/7, who's health problems require 24/7 care, who will never be able to bath, dress, walk, feed themselves...
and then add to the fact that the person you want to lay all this on might be a 20 year old with their own mental and physical deficiencies. and, unlike the adult who is caring for their parent through their last days....
the baby will possibly out live the 20 year old mother.

my brother has taken it upon himself to care for our aunt, who had alzhiemers. he and his wife used to travel quite a bit, now they can't even go to the local grocery store till on of their kids comes to care for our aunt. and, oh ya, our aunt has her own kids, but they never stop in to visit her, they have never offered to share in this responsibility, they haven't even offered to throw a little money their way to help offset the cost! I guess it's too much of a burden to them.

but, thank god that there are so many children willing to take on that burden, and so many parents that are willing to care for their babies when they find out that their physical and mental problems are so severe..
because quite frankly both nursing homes and the foster care system can be really screwed up!!!

it's none of my business if what a women learns beforehand about the developing fetus within her causes her to abort... it's not me that the sacrifice is asked of!!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
That people are born with the likes of DS is about the best cause to doubt the existence of god/gods I can even think of.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

So what are your solutions to the reasons women choose to have an abortion? or are you just going to judge them?.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

If you want to ban abortion, ban abortions.

But if you want a Eugenics program that favors Down syndrome babies while aborting healthy ones - support and defend this bill.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
That people are born with the likes of DS is about the best cause to doubt the existence of god/gods I can even think of.

The Gods are wrathful. They afflict the innocent and guilty alike.

It is no reason to doubt their existence, though it is a reason to question their intentions.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Eugenics isnt something to be taken lightly either... but Eugenics would be classified as government policy / mandate. Parents having a choice not to have, not to bring into this world, not to see their chilid(ren) endure such an existence.... I'd call that Mercy (for everyone in the equation).

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Isn’t it a lifetime of responsibilities having a child already?? Im getting confused.....I’m real glad I’m a man and don’t have t concern myself with icky women’s issues! a reply to: Abysha

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

A huge decision only effecting a womans legal options was made by 6 women and 27 men.

The general mentality that creates nonsense like this is why the people I know have stopped doing business in the states.

That's how governments everywhere work.

The extremely privileged few make sweeping decisions governing the masses.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Everyone has the right to live, agreed?

The funny part about life is that it changes. And we're compelled to change with it. I don't agree with every single change, but what choice do i have. I have to live in this messed up place, just like the rest of us. We do as we're told, or we pay the consequences. Change happens, sometimes slower than we want but it happens.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

It is no reason to doubt their existence, though it is a reason to question their intentions.

And give them the middle finger.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

It wont stand. If i were a voter in ohio id be angry that they are wasting their time like this.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Is this fiasco the source of all the "but theyre still pretty" downs positive memes that i keep having to scroll past on facebook?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

OMG you gotta post some lol....

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I work with intellectually and developmentally disabled adults. Not all folks with Down Syndrome lead horrific/suffering lives and the life expectancy has increased over time.
I believe that Kasich, in the past, has stated that he supports abortion in the cases of incest, rape and threat to the life of the mother. I think it will pass, for now.
If I recall correctly, Michigan has more lenient restrictions on abortions and I would imagine if this law stands that their abortion rate will increase. To what degree? Not sure.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I know quite a few downs syndrome people and they remind me to be humble and kind, I have to stop myself sometimes and think "darn I wouldn't have done that or said that" when they have done something amazing towards another fellow peer.
Some of the kindest humble people I have ever met have downs.
Plus they can do more or less anything they put their mind to they just need a little help.
I do understand why people would not want to have a downs child though it is up to the parents to decide.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well, if we are going to ban specific abortions couldn’t we also pass a law that we can’t abort male children or black children or whatever else we want to pass laws to do? This seems like a slippery slope to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Who decided to call it "Down syndrome" anyway? This horrible pejorative encourages the killing of babies. It's time we start talking about "Up syndrome" instead. Mods, please edit the thread title.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
From what I've seen, it's the ones who want to control adult bodies who specifically don't want to help shoulder the burden.

Yep. From what I've seen, they're not pro-life at all. They're pro-birth. If they were pro-life, they'd be pro-social programs, pro-living wages, anti-war, etc. They claim they want govts to stay out of our lives, but in reality they want govts to be able to dictate what women can do with their own bodies, which is the opposite of small govt.
edit on 14-12-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Lawmakers voted 20-12 in favor of the ban, which would prohibit doctors from performing an abortion if doctors know that it is being sought, "in whole or in part," to avoid a Down syndrome pregnancy.

ya know, there was one women who was jailed for awhile because she got dizzy on the stairs and ended up falling down them and miscarrying. she had gotten into an argument on the phone with her boyfriend/husband just before this happened. she was jailed because one of the care providers told them that she had stated something to the effect that she wished she wasn't pregnant or something of that sort...
they came up with the story that she just threw herself down the stairs to have the miscarriage...
I can't remember now just what the end result was, either the charges were thrown out or the conviction was overturned, not because there wasn't enough evidence that she actually wanted to abort so badly that she would throw herself down a flight of stairs, but rather the fetus was found to be at the stage where an abortion could have legally been obtained and there was really no need for her to throw herself down a flight of stairs.

so, I have to ask, what's to prevent the state or doctor, or nurse to just claim that they believed that a fear of down's syndrome played a role in the women's desire to abort? in some cases, down's syndrome is passed down genetically, so this could actually be denying a small group of women the right to abortion... regardless of the real reason why they want one.

edit on 14-12-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join