It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major announcement from nasa on thursday.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

around every time congress is about to pass a new budget and the new fiscal year, i can always guarantee when nasa will have a 'major announcement'.
the theme is always the same... - we need to invest and keep exploring, we don't know what we might find -

nasa: the slush fund that keeps on giving.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Perhaps they will announce the arrival of a alien race
And they will broadcast the arrival live
And we will see Trump make first contact.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I don't hold my breath anymore when it comes to NASA and their announcements.

*BREAKING NEWS! WE DISCOVERED A NEW SMALL/MEDIUM/LARGE PLANET THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR LIFE! WE'LL NEVER KNOW, BECAUSE WE'RE JUST LOOKING AT IT, OR HAVE A PROBE 180,000 MILES AWAY FLYING BY AT 30,000 MPH, AND WE'LL NEVER EXPLORE IT, TAKE PICTURES OF IT, ANALYZE IT, OR THIK TWICE ABOUT IT A WEEK FROM NOW. WE'LL CONTINUE WITH OUR "EXPLORATION" OF THE UNIVERSE AND KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED WITH OUR PERIODIC PICTURES AND GRAPHS OF WORLDS WE'LL NEVER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT, OR CARE ENOUGH TO FIND OUT ABOUT.

Seriously, we've had the technology to explore our own solar system forever... We could've had colonies on at the very least Mars and the Moon for decades, drilling, farming, mining, setting up satellite observatories, etc, but all we've managed to do is plant a single flag and collect some #ing rock samples.

We need to step our game up. Jus' sayin'

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

NASA's Kepler space telescope team has released a mission catalog of planet candidates that introduces 219 new candidates, 10 of which are near-Earth size and orbiting in their star's habitable zone, which is the range of distance from a star where liquid water could pool on the surface of a rocky planet.

Big deal , IF....

...the planet isn't tidally locked (not spinning), isn't tilted just the right amount on its axis, isn't too small to have a molten core (no electromagnetic field to protect from UV), doesn't have the right mix of gasses in the atmosphere, has just the right orbit, isn't bombarded by too many other factors, like asteroids.

Then life has to have had bazillion of years to 'evolve' , become technical enough, develop Industry producing chemicals we can detect with spectrometers in the upper atmosphere.

Then we can say maybe, just maybe...

(nothing)

Someone remind me what the point was again? Other than to distract everyone away from whats really going on, I mean?

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, a planet, sun and solar system does not need to be an exact copy of our own to support life. Pretty much no scientist thinks that. Is why there are things like the Goldie locks zone and other considerations to take into account. Then there's ll the life we keep finding in extreme places on earth. Life is not THAT fragile. If it was then we'd all be dead already thanks to the moon moving further each year, or the planet becoming permanently uninhabitable the first time it was hit and shifted by the first major impact after life got started, or any number of things that have changed the planet in any significant way.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I know a guy that knows a guy who said his cousin said that NASA was going to announce that they are going to make an announcement. I am super excited.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Johannes Kepler another mathematician that left the world before their time.

Truth is the daughter of time, and I feel no shame in being her midwife.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Maybe on a far distant planet they have found CLINTONITE !

And there's enough for everyone to wear on a necklace.

Might Aline our chakras at the same time .

Just more pan handling from NASA.
edit on 11-12-2017 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

You mean like

"Willst, feiner Knabe, du mit mir gehn? Meine Töchter sollen dich warten schön; Meine Töchter führen den nächtlichen Reihn, Und wiegen und tanzen und singen dich ein."

?

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
the only thing I ever looked forward to from nasa was their ribbon of energy finding. I'm sure this will be amazing as always.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Rarity is a horse on a children's tv program.

We have a lot of universe to look through. To say that anything exists or doesn't exist with any certainty is more arrogant than looking at a drop of water, extrapolating said drop, then declaring that there are no whales in the ocean, because there are no whales in your drop.

In the flip side, if you were to declare there are no Owen Wilsons in the ocean, by the same logic, an Owen Wilson is much more specific and much more rare than a categorization of 'whales'

For real, this is only an argument dealing with layers of abstraction and layers of scrutiny... Until we have seen the entire universe, our sample size does not dictate a declaration in either direction.
edit on 11-12-2017 by Archivalist because: Letter

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think a big part of the problem is that wild stories from both Sci-fi and conspiracy circles have de-sensitized the public to real science news that should be genuinely interesting. It's really quite sad.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
Hey there is always hope.

After half a century or so, hope is a little hard to come by.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

We seem to have overlooked the possibility that NASA may have some exciting news about the new comet whizzing its way through our solar system. Comet Oumuamua discovered Oct. 18, 2017, is not gone yet. It will remain within our system for many months yet. I

It was just announced that it is going to be checked out for artificial radio emissions by the Green Bank Radio Observatory. You can bet your brass that such work to some degree has already been done without a peep about it, whether they discovered something unusual or not.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
We have a lot of universe to look through. To say that anything exists or doesn't exist with any certainty is more arrogant than looking at a drop of water, extrapolating said drop, then declaring that there are no whales in the ocean, because there are no whales in your drop.

That's a logical fallacy. What is actually happening is that we've done a fair amount of looking for life on other worlds, and "alien" life on our own planet and so far haven't found any. And looking at a whale-less drop of water and still hoping there are whales in the ocean is fine, but it in no way proves the whales.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Statistical projections from the Kepler sampling are encouraging.

This contradicted older theories which had suggested small and Earth-size planets would be relatively infrequent.[108][109] Based on extrapolations from the Kepler data, an estimate of around 100 million habitable planets in the Milky Way may be realistic.[110]

Two of the reaction wheels on the Kepler that were used for inertial steering have failed over the years so I had thought the mission was essentially over. Much of the observable data is self canceling leaving only the interesting brightness anomalies. There was some unexplained dimming that was not attributable to any known source such as transiting. Some speculation that this might be an intentional alien signal.

Even with many similar Earth sized planets of the same age it would be difficult to signal.

Guess we will have to wait till Thursday for the announcement.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
We need to step our game up. Jus' sayin'

Or find another game. Like, I don't know. The oceans?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Maybe they have discovered Planet Nine....
edit on 12-12-2017 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Revolution9

I think we are the only life in eternity apart from the dimension of the Elohim.

So, in the entire history of a Universe so vast it boggles the mind, you don't believe there is other Life, but you believe in an invisible man in the sky who watches everything we do and judges whether we suffer for eternity or get rewarded.

Ever seen this?
Hubble Ultra Deep Field. 10,000 Galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars and trillions of planets....but in all that, we're it, huh?
How arrogant.

Don't be so down on yourself. I don't consider you arrogant, just uninformed. Sheer numbers of worlds does not equate with increased probability of an extremely low probability event, which you have left undefined, by the way.

o Other life? Sure, micro-organisms...
o Sentient life? Maybe, but stuck on planet
o Space-faring sentient life to which we can relate on a human time-scale? Nope.
o We are limited by the expansion of space-time to our Local group. In a few million years, the night sky will be almost black as the galaxies move away from each other. This is just the golden age of Astronomy.
o Finally, most agree that Evolution does not select for intelligence.

HTH. Go and be kind to yourself, do not fear one's own hubris my fren.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join