It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter at Aztec, New Mexico high school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Police have confirmed reports of an active shooter situation at Aztec High School in Aztec, New Mexico

Active shooter at Aztec, New Mexico high school

Not much right now, but other sources are saying the school is being evacuated and parents are being given instructions on where to pick up their kids.

Update: The shooter is now in custody. No news on those injured or killed.
edit on 12/7/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

ah hell, kill the perp before the innocent are lost.

Hope everyone is alright!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Crazy place for somebody to try and go on a shooting spree considering NM is an open carry state.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
When I was a kid, I'd think about things like this on a daily basis.

Probably a downside of being the child of an overprotective cop who would traumatize me every night with tales of the things he saw happen to little girls like me- and as I got older it was the things he saw happen to young women like me.

I'd walk around school with an 80 lb book bag with every textbook and folder in it- my locker empty. I did this because if I had to turn and run from any bullets, hopefully my book bag would protect my back and spine. I was constantly playing games in my own head at school: If something happened right this second and I was where I am now, where can I go. Where can I be in the next 10 seconds that's safe? Can I fit through the window? If I can't and the windows don't open all the way, am I strong enough to kick it off the hinges? etc...... Hell at 27 I still do this on 24/7. When I'm at work, I make sure I request the cubicle closest to the fire escape. I make sure when I'm driving I leave room between me and the car in front of me in case something happens and I need to go. Even at red lights I leave enough space for me to whip it somewhere else should someone try to enter my vehicle or harm me. Anywhere, everywhere, all day and all night. Even in my own home I think these things constantly. If that door opens now and it's not Adam, how fast can I reach one of the guns or bats? I mentally prepare myself to gouge assaulter s eyes out as a last resort with my thumbs and nails.

Now I have my own child and I have honestly made myself physically ill wondering, will he have the same sense of worst case scenario that I did? Will he stay aware of his surroundings at all times? Will he have the courage to run, hide and if necessary, fight? I see myself getting a call like these parents did, and I just see myself ramming the truck through the front doors to get to my baby.

& what if it turned out it WAS my baby? How do the parents like Sue Klebold feel? Well, I know how she feels and I never never never want to feel that. I never never want to go through what her son put her through.

Honestly, I work myself up too much over these things and I've caused myself a lot of unnecessary pain and anxiety by thinking like this but I believe it's kept me alive.

It just makes my heart hurt and it makes it break. What makes a child do this? What makes an adult do this to children or other adults (workplace shootings) ???

I've been through some really really rough evil stuff in my life, and I never wanted anything more than to remove myself from the world at those times. Often i figured the people I hated didn't deserve the early release I wanted. It's hard for me to see past how I would think or do things to see why others do what they do.

Praying for those kids and the parents.

-Alee
edit on 12/7/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Lots of shootings lately, should that problem be ignored or fixed? Should we make teachers undergo firearm training and have a mandatory, government-issued firearm? Other ideas?
edit on 07amThu, 07 Dec 2017 10:31:20 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Lots of shootings lately, should that problem be ignored or fixed? Should we make teachers undergo firearm training and have a mandatory, government-issued firearm? Other ideas?

How bout we just hope for the best for the kids and families right now that no ones hurt.....literally 5 responses in....
edit on 12/7/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I would hate to have to put a teacher in a situation where they would have to shoot one of their own students.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I agree, I think the posters intention was good- but all I can see is some teacher accidently or purposefully shooting a student and having to live with that for the rest of their lives- and the families living with an injured or dead child.

At the same time..... it's natural to want to find a solution to this, or a deterrent.

-Alee

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

No one should force teachers to Carry Concealed. However, they should have the choice, if that is what they choose.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess
See, your the kind of person who WILL NOT be caught slippin, EVER. Thats how humans are supposed to be 24/7. You have successfully tapped back into your ancestral roots. Congrats. I pretty much do the same.

I find it quite easy to function in the world and remain vigilante at all times. Some however know they would be unable to cope with dealing with this level of awareness. But consider yourself lucky. It sounds like you made it through childhood ok without any incidents.

I was held hostage at knifepoint around 7 or eight years old, and then shot at multiple times as a teenager. I had to learn the hard way to watch everybodies hands and what they are reaching for.
a reply to: darkbake
Well the police funding and school funding both come from a mix of local property taxes and federal grants. I don't see why not just have local PD station at least one unit at every public school on a rotating basis. So instead of johnson and O Brian patrolling the same neighborhood, one of them could just remain stationed at the school and the other patrols the neighborhood.

Obviously we have to consider level of criminal activity and all, but I am sure that is a workable solution.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
We may see the death toll go up:

www.foxnews.com...
...more than a dozen others were injured during the incident

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
One of the three dead is the shooter.

The Feds (ATF) have responded, even though it's a purely local crime:

twitter.com...
BREAKING: ATF Phoenix Field Division special agents are responding to a school shooting at Aztec High School in San Juan County, N.M.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

So is the FBI.

Probably because locals can simply pick up the phone and ask them to, and the feds can go. They wrote a law about it and everything.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yup, the Feebies are taking over again:

www.kob.com...
FBI and state police will be investigating the incident.

So now we know it's probably a false-flag attack, using one of their mind-controlled zombies.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Janitors too, they'd be the ones in the halls after all. It'd be a good excuse for solid background checks and would elevate the title "Custodian" to something closer to its literal meaning.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

How bout we just hope for the best for the kids and families right now that no ones hurt.....literally 5 responses in....

Always like your way of think'n.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Shooter described as a student:

www.daily-times.com...
San Juan County Chief Operations Officer Mike Stark confirmed the shooter was a student..

A local person, though, describes shooter as 40 year old man, still unidentified:

twitter.com...
Update on Aztec,NM school shooting..16 injured, 3 killed ..40's yr old shooter killed and the others in custody!!

There are no other gunshot injuries to any wounded, apparently.
edit on 7-12-2017 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
In the 70s we had armed security at my school....Crazy shooters go to places with no guns and that is why a school is prime place for them.

Be a lot less drugs and things like this with a little protection...remember, cops are minutes away when seconds count and they are more crime investigation than crime interdiction.

edit on 7-12-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interestingly, the authorities felt the need to tamp down rumors of more shooters.

twitter.com...
Police say rumors of additional shooters, injuries and deaths are untrue.

Which might mean there were actually other events going on nearby.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join