It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracked video About Retail Capitalism-Very Funny and Very Sad-

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The Video talks about the boots on the ground situation that many of the huge big box stores are forcing in some communities. It also goes into the manufacturing practices of textiles that we all ignore. Wages, benefits and unions are also discussed. The video is hilarious, and sadly in many many cases true.

What I find funny is the fact that many times these large profitable retail corps want a tax abatement to set up shop. This sort of capitalism is not only dangerous to the workers (many on public assistance) it is causing ripples in around the world with what is call "fast fashion".
Fast fashion is pushing massive human abuse, and filling retailers pockets. And yes they are slaves so we can save a couple of bucks on a pair of jeans.

edit on 4-12-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I do like how people that make these types of videos like to pretend a lot of things like

mom and pop stores pay their workers soooooooo much better
mom and pop stores are still abundant and employ more than 5 people
mom and pop stores pay give their employees full time with benefits

The whole anti-walmart thing isn't about walmart at all, it's about poor people and the reputation that walmart has. Target is the same exact store without the stigma and nobody complains. Plus, i rarely if ever hear the millenial hipster complaining about star bucks putting local coffee shops out of bis.

This is just the way things work, you have to change with the times. I was not around but im sure there were plenty of horseshoe makers that could tell you all about the evils of automobiles.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMZA

Exactly right. Wal-Mart is a target because they have the wrong politics.

They are seen as conservative, hence evil.

Meanwhile these same prgressive that tell about Wal-Mart driving down wages cheer for tech companies and new visas to bring in foreign workers to work cheaper in these companies.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I remember "mom and pop" stores, they also refused to pay a living wage and their (non-family member) employees were also part-time, no benefit drones.

They also charged exorbitant prices when they themselves were the only game in town.

Growing up in a small town before Wal-Mart and other big box stores, I watched a select group of "mom and pop" store owners grow rich ripping off the townsfolk and looking down their noses at them.

The good old days are a nostalgic myth.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

WalMart's online presence is not impressing me. When you need to return something for Ebay or Amazon, it is effortless. I tried to issue a return on a few items I bought for Xmas that I got better deals for elsewhere, but they referred me to their supplier for that merchandize, which became a torrent of emails. Not a good start.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Oh yeah, i remember in my city they were putting a walmart in and there were protesters all the time for 6 months, you go anywhere near the shopping center it was going to be in and you would get approached with people trying to get signatures. Meanwhile, TWO targets were opening both within a mile of each other. Now we have three targets (all within a mile) and one walmart. Guess what store STILL gets crap.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

WalMart's online presence is not impressing me. When you need to return something for Ebay or Amazon, it is effortless. I tried to issue a return on a few items I bought for Xmas that I got better deals for elsewhere, but they referred me to their supplier for that merchandize, which became a torrent of emails. Not a good start.

Oh yeah plenty of things about walmatt sucks.

I hate bezos and his polutocs, but I usually go with Amazon.

I am just sick of the progressive double standards.

Yes, Wal-Mart is a corporation concerned almost solely on making money.

So is target and best buy and Starbucks and Microsoft and Facebook and insert any other company.

And yes, many mom and pop stores are the same way.

And no, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But stop pretending like Wal-Mart is somehow unique in what they do.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

The interior of Target is much better than WalMart. Could be location dependent, however New England WalMart's are trashy in comparison.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Same in my little town. We have what we call "old money" here. There are 3 or 4 businesses here that have kept any and all competition out of the area by getting their families into the local politics.. Too afraid they'll lose out on the monopolies they have.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

The interior of Target is much better than WalMart. Could be location dependent, however New England WalMart's are trashy in comparison.

So...all these "bad" things that walmart does is only bad because they look better?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Since this is a joke shouldn't it be in humor forum instead of pretending to be serious? You do know these people are a parody site, right?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMZA

So...all these "bad" things that walmart does is only bad because they look better?

Saving money is evil to some people...hell just HAVING money is evil to some people on ATS.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No it's not saving or having money that is thought evil to some here, it's the exploitation of workers, Cutthroat business practices, tax dodging and all the other things globalists love to get up to.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Since this is a joke shouldn't it be in humor forum instead of pretending to be serious? You do know these people are a parody site, right?

You don't get it? These responders for the most part are saying that the joke is on us.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

No it's not saving or having money that is thought evil to some here, it's the exploitation of workers, Cutthroat business practices, tax dodging and all the other things globalists love to get up to.

Funny thing.

When a person goes against these globalist, they are called nationalist xenophobes who hate workers.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
The Video talks about the boots on the ground situation that many of the huge big box stores are forcing in some communities. It also goes into the manufacturing practices of textiles that we all ignore. Wages, benefits and unions are also discussed. The video is hilarious, and sadly in many many cases true.

What I find funny is the fact that many times these large profitable retail corps want a tax abatement to set up shop. This sort of capitalism is not only dangerous to the workers (many on public assistance) it is causing ripples in around the world with what is call "fast fashion".
Fast fashion is pushing massive human abuse, and filling retailers pockets. And yes they are slaves so we can save a couple of bucks on a pair of jeans.

The problem is that people don't want to admit how their own selfish actions also contribute to this business behavior. Consumers are not innocent participants. Everyone's actions as consumers also contributes. While businesses are accused of being greedy for trying to maximize profit, consumers are just as greedy for trying to minimize cost. Mathematically, to offer lower prices to consumers, a business has to lower its operating costs (i.e., finding cheaper labor, materials, tax advantage locations, etc).

Consumers love cheap sh*t but don't want to own up to it's negative effects. I can't tell you how many times I see people go into local stores to window shop, but then whip out their phone to order off Amazon to save a few bucks. Then these same people are the first start b*tching when their local store goes out of business.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Every time I have placed an order with Walmart.com there has been an issue! It shows up damaged. that is if it shows up at all. lol

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Consumerism aside...(something I despise)...

Some "Mom and Pop" shops can't compete because they are in the same race to make as much money as possible, just like the big stores. The economy dictates who will survive, and unfortunately this is the nature of economics.

My first jobs were with family owned businesses. After I grew up, I got better and better jobs...at guess where...big name businesses.

Why? Because they paid better, had better hours, and offered benefits. The "Mom and Pop" shop I worked at couldn't give me a $0.05 raise because of their spending. Nor could they keep my hours per day lower than 10 or follow most safety regulations. They always found ways to circumvent laws, because they could get away with it.

I am a for showing businesses love with my wallet, but let's face the truth here. Bigger businesses will always overshadow smaller ones because they have better practices, regulations, and gov't mandated laws to follow.

Even with all the shady things people put on big box stores, they may always have the upperhand.

edit on 5-12-2017 by havok because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Funny thing.

When a person goes against these globalist, they are called nationalist xenophobes who hate workers.

I am aware of it. At least the anti nationalist sentiment I have come across. I kept hearing from politicians on this side of the pond how we must avoid protectionism at all costs. Yet under Otto Von Bismark Prussia at that time prospered immensely under that same policy.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

You started off making sense but lost me with your conclusion.

I am a for showing businesses love with my wallet, but let's face the truth here. Bigger businesses will always overshadow smaller ones because they have better practices, regulations, and gov't mandated laws to follow.

Bigger business overshadow smaller ones because of their bulk buying power, in some cases they can literally dictate the price of the stock they purchase. Smaller businesses rely on wholesalers who are providing stock at near enough the same price big businesses are retailing it for. Gov regulations and mandated laws have nothing to do with it. If anything big business employ more people working part time hours to save on taxes and the gov also likes this because it makes it look like less people are unemployed. Yet at the same time the gov is quite happy to hand out welfare to these part timers so they can have an income they can actually live off, just about.

Also it's because of government regulations plus the cheap supply of labour that the majority of manufacturing jobs have gone to places like China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join