It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Just Found a Loophole in Graphene That Could Unlock Clean, Limitless Energy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This may be junk science but it's fund to read anyway:

By all measures, graphene shouldn’t exist. The fact it does comes down to a neat loophole in physics that sees an impossible 2D sheet of atoms act like a solid 3D material.

New research has delved into graphene’s rippling, discovering a physical phenomenon on an atomic scale that could be exploited as a way to produce a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.

Physicists Just Found a Loophole in Graphene That Could Unlock Clean, Limitless Energy

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Dec 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
if it exists is it really a loophole in physics or is it just that we don`t really know physics like we think we do?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If they discovered a loophole, they better get a lawyer, that is their specialty.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I think this would make a lousy power source think thats far fetched. And as for a loophole thats just crazy we know why it vibrates.Carbon atoms in graphene sheets are arranged in a regularly repeating honeycomb or lattice it forms a two-dimensional crystal. Like other crystals, when enough heat or other energy is applied, the forces that bond the atoms together cause the atoms to vibrate and spread the energy throughout the material.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Sounds like a kids explanation that they just learned from school..

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

I think this would make a lousy power source...

uh huh, lets assume its like a 9 volt battery, doesnt really put out much for its size,
but it never runs out, stack a billion of them together and power the world forever.

when it comes to renewable energy it doesnt need a big footprint to leave a big footprint....

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

And your explanation would be ?

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: dragonridr

Sometimes its just that simple.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

originally posted by: dragonridr

I think this would make a lousy power source...

uh huh, lets assume its like a 9 volt battery, doesnt really put out much for its size,
but it never runs out, stack a billion of them together and power the world forever.

when it comes to renewable energy it doesnt need a big footprint to leave a big footprint....

Notice in the video the temprature to get it to move like that. Takes energy to get it to move this is redistribution of that energy. Be of limited value for energy since its doing the opposite. What it could be used for is frequency modulation

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Topic already discussed here I think www.abovetopsecret.com...

The loophole claim does not make much sense. What would be the loophole here?

Personally I'd wait until they can show something that actually works, before getting excited.

Harvesting tiny random voltage fluctuations is something people have tried for a long time without much success afaik.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If they discovered a loophole, they better get a lawyer, that is their specialty.

The dems want to close it.

Free energy is unfair to minorities, no more jobs.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

There is another hidden invention in the making soon to be patented and locked away for like ever and ever and ever while the world starves.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

That would be my assessment also. And considering how physics and scientific understanding has been refined over what we thought we knew in the past, one only has to wonder as to what we may know tomorrow?

Don't see material science ever producing the likes of say perpetual motion engines but free energy, or at least cheaply produced energy might not be beyond the bounds of whats possible to achieve.
edit on 3-12-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The author of the article doesn't seem to realize that a single layer of graphene exists in the third dimension. No loop hole, just a really dumb way of explaining things.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm not a scientist so wont say this is a good or bad finding. I do know that progress is made one bit at a time and every once in a while, something brilliant and unexpected comes along. More power (pun intended) to the prof and his students.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Already posted.,,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is not a loophole. It is what makes graphene possible. The movement in 3D is out of the plane graphene is in. At the nanoscale heat itself causes ripples to form and they can tap that for energy.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
So it seems that carbon could withold the key to gain free unlimited energy. Could this mean we could have eternal or more energy efficient beings as we are also carbon based ?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 0b15America/ChicagoMon, 04 Dec 2017 07:41:15 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 04 Dec 2017 07:41:15 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: My thumb triggered a copy

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Gonna be honest here, I know of multiple very serious efforts ongoing by groups racing headlong to be the first to indisputably and repeatably produce a viable Maxwell's demon, which this would be kinda by default too...

Far too many extremely intelligent people are privately and quietly admitting that in their professional opinions it's now only a matter of time until we see the first caged Maxwell's demons start to appear.

Oh and lol @ the usual suspects and their... I don't get it so it must be wrong bs
edit on 4-12-2017 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

There is another hidden invention in the making soon to be patented and locked away for like ever and ever and ever while the world starves.
This scenario is not gonna change anytime soon

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join