It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Stray...Meet Bob

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Bob came up to the house this morning asking for help. He was following the river bed and came out into our yard, eventually making it up to the deck. A bit stand offish at first, you could tell he wanted some help, but he just didn't trust anyone enough to take it.

Eventually, though, he made his choice and came over get some food, shelter, and a bit of love. After the basics were met, we gave Bob a bath, because, he stunk like I've never smelled anything before in my life! His stench permeated every inch of the house, and I can't even tell you how many times I almost threw up while trying to take care of him..lol.

As you can see, his hair is long and he is quite scruffy. What you can't see is his tail is stuck to his butt by burrs. He is so full of dirt and his hair was matted so bad that even after we gave him a bath his still stunk.

So, we gave him a second bath straight away. But, that didn't help either. Bob had odor issues...bad! That's when we decided to trim his hair up because, well, that's all there was left to do.

We took him to the vet to see if he was chipped first, then we brought him home and got straight to work. I started out trying to use clippers, but they wouldn't even make it through his hair. So I switched to scissors instead.

And, the little guy sat patiently for about an hour as I chopped off what looked to be a pound or so of hair. He didn't even move really. I couldn't get close enough to get some of the matted hair off and I'm hoping a third bath will help remove it.

Bob doesn't smell so bad anymore. He's funny as heck too! He purrs when you pet him (I am not even kidding, he does), and he has a really awesome personality. Just happy to be alive and loved.

No chip or tags, but he is used to riding in cars and also leash trained. Comfortable in the house and potty trained too! I don't know why Bob was left to fend for himself, but I'm sure glad we were able to give him some help.

I always wonder what happened to these animals that were obviously pets. He doesn't look like he was starving, yet, he was out in the elements long enough that his hair was matted with deep layers of dirt, leaves, and sticks. I wish they could talk honestly, or there was someway to know what they went through...

Thanks!

blend

edit on 1-12-2017 by blend57 because: Edited second bath to third bath.. it is a third bath.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
He is lucky to have walked up on such kind and compassionate people. Do you plan on keeping him?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Nicely done.

How you treat animals (and people) who need help because they are suddenly dependent on the kindness of strangers is a true silent gauge of you.
Hats off, I'm sure Bob is thanking his doggy god he picked your house.

edit on 1-12-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

He looks like a helluva fugly ball of love and I think he might like to stay with you, if possible....

Thank you for helping out Bob!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
he is cute and ugly as # at the same time.
what up BOB!!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

He's adorable, and you are a wonderful person for taking care of him.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
He is lucky to have walked up on such kind and compassionate people. Do you plan on keeping him?

My sister is keeping him if we can't find the owners. I wish we could keep every one, but it's not possible to do that. I'd be over run with animals if I did. They seem to find their way to our house quite often.

originally posted by: seasonal
How you treat animals (and people) who need help and are suddenly dependent on the kindness of strangers is a true silent gauge of you.
Hats off, I'm sure Bob is thanking his doggy god he picked your house.

I live in a very rural area. If they make it to my house, well, I just can't turn them away. Unless they are aggressive, then I will. But I haven't come across an overly aggressive one yet. Hopefully I never will.

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
He looks like a helluva fugly ball of love and I think he might like to stay with you, if possible....

He is really, really fugly, but, he is beautiful on the inside??? Lol.
I think he will turn out to be cute once we get him totally cleaned up..I think. It's kind of a 50/50 shot right now..

Blend

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
he won the lottery with the house he picked. He looks like my friends peek-a-poo, Token. (yea, it's cuz he's black)
I had a puggle and fell in love with that under bite. This one looks like some pug is in there. (bulging eyes)
Very cute. If you want a really old cat who #s right where you will be walking later, named BOB, I have one, and would be happy to send him your way.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Good on you man, good on you!
I bet Bob is pretty happy he stumbled onto you.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I will take a guess that you have a dog friendly "guardian angel" whom find these needy animals and quietly direct them to your property knowing you will care for them probably one of your kids if you have any!!

Or your partner wants a new addition to the family but for whatever reason, only wants to drop anonymous yet unambiguous hints rather than suggest or ask!!

😜👍🏻. And thanks for helping him, and welcome to the loyal side of humanity Bobby boy!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soapusmaximus
I will take a guess that you have a dog friendly "guardian angel" whom find these needy animals and quietly direct them to your property knowing you will care for them probably one of your kids if you have any!!

I don't think anyone is intentionally dropping them off at my house. They always look like they've been running for awhile. Maybe they are dropped off a few miles away or honestly, like with Bob, maybe the owners really do lose them. It is what it is, just roll with it and hope for the best for both the animal and myself. Lol

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I bet Bob is pretty happy he stumbled onto you.

He's chillin out in a warm house with my other dogs. Seems to be content, is getting along with my other dogs, and feels at home. Who knows how long it's been since he was out of the elements. At least he has a place to stay until we find his owner or he gets a new one.

Thanks for the interest and replies. I don't know why I feel the need to post about every stray that comes to my doorstep, I just do. Maybe I feel like they shouldn't be forgotten and somehow making a thread makes sure they aren't. I don't know what the reason for it is, but I appreciate the thoughts and posts.

blend

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Aww!
Bob and his underbite (?) so funny.
Did the vet give you any idea of age? Or any health issues?
Maybe I read through too fast...blinded by Bob's charm

He IS lucky to have found the path to you.
Thanks Blend for being the human that you are.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Aww!
Bob and his underbite (?) so funny.
Did the vet give you any idea of age? Or any health issues?
Maybe I read through too fast...blinded by Bob's charm

He IS lucky to have found the path to you.
Thanks Blend for being the human that you are.

The vet just did a basic health assessment and checked for a chip. Overall he is in good health. They didn't mention how old he was, but I didn't ask either for some reason. Probably because he smelled so bad and I wanted to get him home and get his hair clipped off. I'm not even joking..it was really, really bad. I had to drive with the windows open just to keep from gagging.

But, Bob is now pretty much clean, my house and car have aired out, and hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I'll have some new photos of him all cleaned up and pretty to share( as pretty as he can be at least)

blend

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Bob is already pretty. Pretty lucky to have found you Blend. Good heart.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Bob looks like My AffenPinscher "MagWai" If You look at the breed, the name means "Monkey Dog". The same breed won Best In Show for a few years in a row and that is when the human got involved and that led to "over breeding"

I only mention this because My MagWai is a hermaphrodite. Does "Bob" have a few rows of teeth? MagWai has 4 rows of teeth and a floating jaw, so the food gets ground up, eating like a shark. 6 toes on the front paws (5 and dew claws) and a tail that goes off at an angle. Bob may also get stinky ears and bad breath due to the Ear, Nose and Throat (brachycephalic- Short snouted dogs get sinus trouble)

He also runs the local dog park and has zero fear, of anything and keeps a keen eye on My Bitch, "Shorty"

There are pics on My page but never figured out how to transfer them. But they could be siblings..

en.wikipedia.org...

Good looking out

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thank you for caring for him!!!! If there is one thing I can't bear to think about, it's a suffering animal, especially one who used to know family life. I'm so glad he found you!

He looks like he might have a little griffy in him. If I could figure out how to upload pictures I woukd post some of mine (3 griffys).

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I suggested griffy in there but you're right, more like affen. I have three griffys; 2 are rescues and I suspect one of the rescues is affen instead of griffy because his fur is different and he is just a bulkier, broader build than my other 2. Best dogs I've ever had. I couldn't live without them!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

It was only a joke but if you think about it, if my theory was correct, they couldn't just drop the dog off all full of food and groomed and clean, because then you would assume they were already well cared for by a loving owner, and wouldn't consider keeping them!

Anyway, Bob looks like a bloody nutter, but so does every dog with a really special nature and personality - in the first pic he reminds me a little of the Sesame Street character that lived in the dustbin, I forget his name. Not in a bad way, but he's got that wild untamed look with the hair and the teeth. Or actually after having another look, maybe he's got a bit of a resembelance to a bat in the face.

edit on 1-12-2017 by Soapusmaximus because: Dog interpretation

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Soapusmaximus

You're thinking of "Oscar" who resides in the trash bin...

Edit: More on "Oscar" muppet.wikia.com...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Praise "Bob."
Eternal Salvation or triple your money back!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join