It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: 5.1 earthquake strikes Delaware, felt in Pennsylvania

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

A 4.4 magnitude earthquake with an epicenter near Dover, Delaware, has rocked Pennsylvania.
The US Geological Survey initially reported a 5.1 earthquake offshore of Dover, Delaware on Thursday afternoon, but adjusted the magnitude to 4.4 shortly after 5:00pm Eastern time.

BREAKING: 5.1 earthquake strikes Delaware, felt in Pennsylvania

USGS Info: earthquake.usgs.gov...

CNN: www.cnn.com...
edit on 30-11-2017 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

A 4.4, that must be the equivalent to a whale fart. Nobody would even know it happened.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yah..only reason I posted it is because I was at work and heard a whole bunch of people talking about it so thought it was something different.

Im waiting for the EMP or HAARP or North Korea posts to show up.. =)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

That's a big quake really, particularly for Delaware. Sure it's not a 6+ but that 4.4 is pretty rare for the area.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Odd area for an earthquake isn't it?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I think it's pretty news worthy considering the infrequent occasions there

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Sure is...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

that's what i was thinking...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
HAAAAAAAAARP!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Some technical info:

Magnitudeuncertainty 4.4 ml± 0.3
Locationuncertainty 39.210°N 75.433°W± 1.0 km
Depthuncertainty 7.0 km± 16.1
Origin Time 2017-11-30 21:47:31.380 UTC
Number of Stations 10
Number of Phases 14
Minimum Distance 69.1 km (0.62°)
Travel Time Residual 0.28 s
Azimuthal Gap 144°
FE Region DELAWARE (493)
Review Status REVIEWED

USGS

It looks like the hypocenter was below the Leipsic River delta.

From EMSC, we see that although not highly seismic, the area does occasionally get quakes:

Since 1960^
edit on 30-11-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: added historical map

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's notable, that's all I'd call it. Earthquakes can happen anywhere, even in the middle of plates, it's just more rare.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

A 4.4, that must be the equivalent to a whale fart. Nobody would even know it happened.

Ever smelled a whale fart?

Me neither

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Is the epicenter at the AF Base?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My word children, not everything is caused by the U.S. Government or its many black projects. Considering the location the cause of the quake is obvious.

River Dragons....

Wake up Sheeple, they are hungry!

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Not far from it, but probably not within the range of uncertainty:

I also just noticed that the number of stations since I linked USGS above has from from 14 to 20, but the uncertainty has increased for location and decreased for depth. As more stations are added (presuming they are still analyzing data, and this being an oddly located quake, I imagine they will), both should become a bit less uncertain.
edit on 30-11-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: added commentary

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I couldn't help but think of this when I read your thread title lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Didn't feel it. No one I know did either. But I do live to the north in PA by the hump of Delaware. It's maybe a couple of miles away.
But nothing...

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Tunnelling. Could be an answer to these quakes and booms and tremors... can anyone form a line for all these events.

Perhaps a high speed tunnel could be being built beneath the americas'... just a thought

I mean, couldn't one just kick one these registers to read an event ?

Does it have to be an earthquake or just a nearby event ?
edit on 1/12/2017 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

Tunnelling. Could be an answer to these quakes and booms and tremors... can anyone form a line for all these events.

Perhaps a high speed tunnel could be being built beneath the americas'... just a thought

The instruments don't really record earthquakes, they record vibrations (I don't think that's technically correct but I'm not an expert). Experts analyze the signal and determine what caused it and where, in most cases an earthquake and it's too deep in the earth's crust to be anything else.

In this case it was downgraded to a 4.1, at a depth of 8.1 kilometers. That's over 26,000 feet. That's relatively shallow for an earthquake I believe, but it's still too deep to be anything man-made. We have drilled that deep into the earth before, but only narrow bores for research purposes. The temperatures at that depth are so high it makes it pretty much impossible to do any type of industrial work like drill a tunnel.

So no, the facts don't support this being anything but a small earthquake in an uncommon, though still not suspicious area. Earthquakes do occur in that region occasionally.
edit on 1 12 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: scubagravy

Vibrations, exactly..... so why not kick the bastard
'
The instruments don't really record earthquakes, they record vibrations (I don't think that's technically correct but I'm not an expert). Experts analyze the signal and determine what caused it and where, in most cases an earthquake and it's too deep in the earth's crust to be anything else.

In this case it was downgraded to a 4.1, at a depth of 8.1 kilometers. That's over 26,000 feet. That's relatively shallow for an earthquake I believe, but it's still too deep to be anything man-made. We have drilled that deep into the earth before, but only narrow bores for research purposes. The temperatures at that depth are so high it makes it pretty much impossible to do any type of industrial work like drill a tunnel.

So no, the facts don't support this being anything but a small earthquake in an uncommon, though still not suspicious area. Earthquakes do occur in that region occasionally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join