It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man spent his last $20 to keep her safe. She’s raised $250,000 to repay him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

FLORENCE, N.J. (This story has been updated to reflect that the GoFundMe account had raised $250,000 by Thursday afternoon, November 23, 2017 -- up from $34,000 when the story was originally published the day before.) Kate McClure didn’t expect to run out of gas on her drive to Philadelphia last month. And she definitely didn’t expect that her misfortune would give her the opportunity to change someone else’s life. Pulled over on the side of I-95, McClure, 27, was approached by a homeless man named Johnny. She was apprehensive at first, but Johnny told her to get back into her car and to lock the doors while he walked to get her help. He went to a nearby gas station, used his last $20 fill a can and brought it back to fill up her car.

www.miamiherald.com...

Here is something that might make everyone a bit happier. A fantastic story of how good people still exist.

In the weeks since, she’s returned to the spot along I-95 where Johnny stays with cash, snacks and Wawa gift cards. Each time she’s stopped by with her boyfriend, Mark D’Amico, they’ve learned a bit more about Johnny’s story, and become humbled by his gratitude. Eventually, the Florence Township couple knew they had to do something more. “I would say, ‘I keep thinking about that guy,’” D’Amico said. And McClure was thinking about Johnny, too. So they launched a GoFundMe campaign, putting an ambitious $10,000 goal and hoping to rein in a few hundred dollars to book Johnny a motel for a few nights where he could clean up, and start to get back on his feet. As of Thursday, November 23, 2017, the campaign had garnered more than $250,000 in donations, up from $34,000 on Wednesday when this story was originally published.

I hope everyone here is doing well and can appreciate this wonderful article. Happy Thanksgiving ATS!
edit on 24-11-2017 by network dude because: added link

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
So this homeless guy says he's a former Marine and a certified paramedic who can't work because he "lost his paperwork".

Sounds legit.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

sometimes i feel like such a bastard but here are my thoughts

Johnny has started the process of getting his paperwork replaced, as he’s currently without identification or Veteran’s Affairs papers, McClure said. He hopes to get a job at the Amazon warehouse in Robbinsville, and down the road, hopes to take the test to become recertified as a paramedic in Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

like abe mentioned....
wtf?
get an ID mofugga

since he floated her $20 she has come back with food and money for him..
still not enough?

now she raised via gofund 250k

damn

score for homeless johnny

250k??
#

good for him and good for her but it just all seems odd

the upside for homeless johnny is he dont have to throw # around at amazon no mo
he has 250k

ole boy could live on that for a few years why he gets his ID.

edit on 24-11-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

As with most homeless people, there are reasons why they end up there. But it seems he's a good person.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: abe froman

As with most homeless people, there are reasons why they end up there. But it seems he's a good person.

it does seem like he is a good person

After moving around the country for a time, he came to Philadelphia a year ago with a job lined up and some money to buy a truck. But soon after the job fell through, leaving Johnny surviving off meager savings. Later, he lost his paperwork, rendering him unable to work. One night on the streets turned into a week, and ultimately a year of homelessness.

but that is a dumb ass reason to be outdoors for a year

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Just saw the story on the news, and drugs were mentioned. That seems to help his situation be better understood. But that doesn't make him a monster, just another person who let some bad luck define them for a while. I hope he comes out of this a winner.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Last time I read that "news" was 35000 which is a lot but not 250000, unless its rupees.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Just saw the story on the news, and drugs were mentioned. That seems to help his situation be better understood. But that doesn't make him a monster, just another person who let some bad luck define them for a while. I hope he comes out of this a winner.

dude has 250 stacks
he won

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

What do you think the end result of giving a homeless drug addict $250,000 is ?

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

lots of nights at motel 6
pizza
fortified wine
beer
cigarettes
weed
maybe a little powder

good times for sure

can you show me the particulars of him being a drug addict please?
someone said drugs were mentioned in a news story
thanks
edit on 24-11-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

A very quick super party/death.

In my opinion. Or maybe he will use it to turn his life around.

Though, the skeptic in me, doubts it.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
During my outdoor phases I helped people out when I could. I had a little more than them, so when they asked me for something I would generally say, I got nothing, glad to share half of it with you.

A smoke, a ride a couple bucks...

Too bad they were all poor like me, lol.

Nobody came up under the bridge and offered us anything.

Yay for the feel good story about one 'lotto' winner.

Want to actually feel good inside? Go find someone as regular unfortunate and hand them a few bucks.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I've heard about the story on tv yesterday. I think they want to rent a department for a year, buy a car and other stuff for him. He wants to work, he deserves that and more.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

This?
boxden.com...

A Homeless Man is Given $100,000 by a Film Director and Blows it All Foolishly

On a recent Oprah Winfrey show that aired on Friday December 1, 2006, a homeless guest on the Oprah Winfrey show was given $100,000 by a film director. The film director gave him this money as a test to see howhe would spend the money. The homeless man did not know that he was going to receive the money when he first got the $100,000. He was only told that he would be filmed as a documentary as to how a homeless man spends his days. It was about the day and life of a homeless person.

The man first found the briefcase with $100,000 ina garbage bin when he was looking for soda cans. This is how he made his money. The man was clearly broke and when he found the briefcase with the money in it, he could not believe it. He actually cried in shock. I was amazed to find out what the homeless man did with the money next.

The man first got himself an apartment and then he bought himself a $32,000 truck. He then bought his friends cars by taking them to a car dealership and having them purchase the car that they wanted. He kept on buying more more stuff and then he gave the money away. Was this a smart thing to do?

Shockingly the film maker also gave him the opportunity to use a financial advisor and counselor for free. The homeless man did not take him up on his offer. He instead spent all of the money on whatever he felt like spending his money on. Shockingly the homeless man lost everything and he stated that he is back on the streets and homeless again.

There's a pair of 'homeless' guys that trade of the same spot on a street up the road from me. One guy stands there limping along swaying like he's got health problems. One day I happened to be up there while he was 'changing shifts' I watched him limp and hobble over to the crosswalk and start limping away. Then about halfway across the crossealk he straightened himself, started walking with prideful strides, turned seen me watching him and grinned at me before walking away without any hint of pain or a limp.

Then there's the guy i see every day, around the same age as me or younger, who lies om the ground a block away from a day labour place harrassing old ladies who don't give him money. Or the time my wife went back in and bought some food for a homeless guy outside who was asking for money who took it said 'what the # is this?' and threw it in the garbage in front of us.

Honestly I used to try and give homeless people the benefit of the doubt and I'll still help sometimes. But more often than not the homeless people I see are young, healthy and perfectly capable of working. They just choose to sit there and do nothing. Many of them proudly sitting there with signs like 'too lazy to work need beer and weed' or some such a thing. # them. I get approached by these lazy #s regularly after work, still in my work clothes, after working my ass off all day at a job I struggled to get and work hard to keep and asked for money by people who are too lazy to even move 3 #ing feet out of the rain and under cover sometimes then these people get angry thay strangers won't give them money. Seriously no # them. I realize not all homeless people are like that and many of them are not there by choice but lazy #ing idiots who can't be bothered are the ones I see everyday and they piss me right off.

edit on 24/11/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Well after go fund me takes it's sizeable cut(they're in this only for their cut, not a charity) and of course uncle scam(er sam) will take a bit too.

I think your point is still valid even with the lowered sum of about 100K.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

This?
boxden.com...

A Homeless Man is Given $100,000 by a Film Director and Blows it All Foolishly

On a recent Oprah Winfrey show that aired on Friday December 1, 2006, a homeless guest on the Oprah Winfrey show was given $100,000 by a film director. The film director gave him this money as a test to see howhe would spend the money. The homeless man did not know that he was going to receive the money when he first got the $100,000. He was only told that he would be filmed as a documentary as to how a homeless man spends his days. It was about the day and life of a homeless person.

The man first found the briefcase with $100,000 ina garbage bin when he was looking for soda cans. This is how he made his money. The man was clearly broke and when he found the briefcase with the money in it, he could not believe it. He actually cried in shock. I was amazed to find out what the homeless man did with the money next.

The man first got himself an apartment and then he bought himself a $32,000 truck. He then bought his friends cars by taking them to a car dealership and having them purchase the car that they wanted. He kept on buying more more stuff and then he gave the money away. Was this a smart thing to do?

Shockingly the film maker also gave him the opportunity to use a financial advisor and counselor for free. The homeless man did not take him up on his offer. He instead spent all of the money on whatever he felt like spending his money on. Shockingly the homeless man lost everything and he stated that he is back on the streets and homeless again.

There's a pair of 'homeless' guys that trade of the same spot on a street up the road from me. One guy stands there limping along swaying like he's got health problems. One day I happened to be up there while he was 'changing shifts' I watched him limp and hobble over to the crosswalk and start limping away. Then about halfway across the crossealk he straightened himself, started walking with prideful strides, turned seen me watching him and grinned at me before walking away without any hint of pain or a limp.

Then there's the guy i see every day, around the same age as me or younger, who lies om the ground a block away from a day labour place harrassing old ladies who don't give him money. Or the time my wife went back in and bought some food for a homeless guy outside who was asking for money who took it said 'what the # is this?' and threw it in the garbage in front of us.

Honestly I used to try and give homeless people the benefit of the doubt and I'll still help sometimes. But more often than not the homeless people I see are young, healthy and perfectly capable of working. They just choose to sit there and do nothing. Many of them proudly sitting there with signs like 'too lazy to work need beer and weed' or some such a thing. # them. I get approached by these lazy #s regularly after work, still in my work clothes, after working my ass off all day at a hob I struggled to get and work hard to keep and asked for money by people who are too lazy to even move 3 #ing feet out of the rain and under cover sometimes then these people get angry thay strangers won't give them money. Seriously no # them. I realize not all homeless people are like that and many of them are not there by choice but lazy #ing idiots who can't be bothered are the ones I see everyday and they piss me right off.

The vast majority of homeless are drug addicts or mentally unstable. No amount of money or help is going to them off the streets. There will always be homeless.

I stopped Giving A F years ago. Ive seen too many scams by crackheads and heroin addicts.

Homeless around here are like pigeons. Suckers give them money and food and they start swarming our town. Need signs telling these people not to feed the homeless.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
He is never going to want to go out and get a job now and become a regular working class man. I suppose the government will toss him into jail for income tax evasion after he doesn't report the income. Those Federal prisons are decent, he will have a nice place to stay anyway. He will meet some influential people there and someday become a congressman.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Best homeless sign I've ever seen said "Why lie, I just want beer" I would've given him a dollar just for pure honesty, but I was on a motorcycle and had my ex g/f on the back and we were sitting at a traffic light.

I don't hate homeless people, but I do kind of get annoyed seeing the same people all the time for many years. Most of them are druggy/drunks, and I've learned to pretty much not give money to them.

Homeless people might not even really be homeless, it might just be a running scam.. and because of that, I avoid bums because they are like stray cats, if you feed it once, it'll never go away. I work really hard for my money, we're talking blood, sweat and tears type work.. not some posh office job where I can be uppity all day. I've made sacrifices to get where I am in life, I used to be addicted to drugs when I was a teenager, but I got my s# together, and I use bums as motivation to succeed so I don't end up on the streets like them.

Call me harsh or a d*ck, but when you were once poor yourself, and you got yourself out of poverty with your own two hands, you tend to be a lot more conservative in your views of the world.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So much for a feel good story. Man you guys can find the lead lining in any cloud.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
So much for a feel good story. Man you guys can find the lead lining in any cloud.

Go share this story with only homeless people, then tell me if they think its a "feel good" story. Starting to seem like a publicity stunt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join