It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Girls Self-Harming, Trying Suicide at Increasing Rate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: silo13

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days. Adults too.

I completely agree with you.

You can't replace a meaningful relationship with God with worship of the soulless state.

I wonder. . . . do we, as humans, require religion at certain stages of development?

I think humans have a need for spirituality for some that is best expressed in religion with all the dogma and ritual, but the dogma and ritual can be empty of true spirituality which is why so many fall away from it.

I think it's a need to be spiritually full and believe in something, to be satisfied on that level.

For some, they find it in devotion to a cause or even politics these days or your sports team.

But when you're spiritually empty or devoid, there is a piece of yourself missing - an emptiness that I don't think can be filled, and I think a lot of people try to do it with things or vices or self-destructive behavior.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days. Adults too.

You can't replace a meaningful relationship with God with worship of the soulless state.

I wonder. . . . do we, as humans, require religion at certain stages of development?

As certain posters have suggested, what if this is a release or some type of equalization to being abused? If these victims are simply trying to reassert some control over their lives and bodies by self mutilating, how is religion going to help?

Wouldn't it just make it worse? If you believed in an all benevolent god that had full control over this reality and you were molested, how would the belief in god help? If it were me, it would feel worse. I would feel that god had forsaken me or that somehow I deserved it because it was still happening.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
admit it, our country sucks and has turned into a cess pool of totally self serving pricks taking advantage of everyone around them

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

As certain posters have suggested, what if this is a release or some type of equalization to being abused? If these victims are simply trying to reassert some control over their lives and bodies by self mutilating, how is religion going to help?

Wouldn't it just make it worse? If you believed in an all benevolent god that had full control over this reality and you were molested, how would the belief in god help? If it were me, it would feel worse. I would feel that god had forsaken me or that somehow I deserved it because it was still happening.

No, because you're taught - this world is a fallen world and things like molestation, death, torture, your pet dying, will all happen.

But 'He' is there - to help you through it.

Without the absolute peace Christ has to offer? I would have been dead a long time ago.

And really. What is there this world has to offer that will help a kid (or adult) get through life changing horrors? OR - allow them to experiencing life changing JOY?

What? Drugs. Believe only in themselves. Money? Success? A new car? House?

It's all passing and it's all without the cornerstone of hope in more - in forever - in an eternity of peace with no more tears, pain, etc.
edit on 1453Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's not isolated to the US, morals and values have gone out the window in the west, we worship material goods.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

That can be part of it. There is also a dopamine release, so people will perpetuate the behavior seeking that. It could be that teenagers turn to this a lot because they may not have the experience or capacity to take to the usual coping mechanisms that fall into that dopamine cycle--drugs and alcohol.

I was a cutter as a teenager. I was also drinking and doing drugs so... It's self soothing through quirks of neurochemistry mostly, IMO.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Never had "God" in our home, and my 16-year-old daughter has never self-harmed or shown any suicidal tendencies. I am very present in her life, and I think that has a lot to do with her emotional stability and well-being.

Having God in the home doesn't always turn out so well, as in the case of trans teen Leelah Alcorn.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days

It has nothing to do with imaginary gods, it's because our capitalistic, conservative, vicious, immoral society says that only rich and connected people are worth anything.

Not to mention it's hard to have a good family life when everyone has to work all the time because houses are trendy investments instead of a human need.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days

It has nothing to do with imaginary gods, it's because our capitalistic, conservative, vicious, immoral society says that only rich and connected people are worth anything.

Not to mention it's hard to have a good family life when everyone has to work all the time because houses are trendy investments instead of a human need.

I bet you are the life of a party.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Care to guess on how many of the last crop of anti-God posters thought I was making a "you need God" post?

I know I need God, but I merely said they need to feel spiritually full. YMMV on what that means.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Never had "God" in our home, and my 16-year-old daughter has never self-harmed or shown any suicidal tendencies. I am very present in her life, and I think that has a lot to do with her emotional stability and well-being.

Having God in the home doesn't always turn out so well, as in the case of trans teen Leelah Alcorn.

You're right. It has NOTHING to do with IMAGINARY gods.

Not Buddha, Muhammad, Jim Jones, the list is endless.

It has to do with acknowledging the God of the Universe who made YOU and ME - because He loves us.

We let him down.

But, because He love(d) us so much? He came down here to die for us.

The only God in the history of mankind that came to His people - in human form - instead of requiring His people - to come to Him.

You're blessed in your girl - from what you're saying.

I hope you're thankful for that.

Oh wait - you think most of my posts are BS.

Nothing to see here - pass right on by.

But you're still in my prayers.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The old lady down the way tells me all the time that I need to find Jesus, funny thing is the guy down the other way is named Jesus and I keep wanting to tell her I see him everyday on my walks but I don't think she has a sense of humor.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: thesaneone

Care to guess on how many of the last crop of anti-God posters thought I was making a "you need God" post?

I know I need God, but I merely said they need to feel spiritually full. YMMV on what that means.

I think one of the things happening here is ATS'ers who don't have a clue about what Jesus Christ is all about? They think He's all LAW and RELIGIOUS - when He was the least religious person ever.

All He asked is - You love the Lord your God with all your heart. Love your neighbor with all your heart. And believe I am God, confessing it with your mouth and repentance from what you know is wrong.

Pretty simple that - in return for everlasting life.

link   

Maybe we could be honest with our children. Have we even tried that yet?

What if unrealistic goals and desires leads to suffering? Why does this world need to be described as 'fallen'? Wouldn't that impression lead to misery?

Are there not stories in the bible that support greed, such as Matthew 25:14- Parable of the Three Servants?

What if it was YOU that overcame your own problems? Why would you diminish that? How much stronger of an individual would you be if you took full responsibility for your hard earned success? Success not measured in material objects but in perseverance and preservation.

My apologies for the sporadic questions. I just don't think religion is the answer here and if anything is more of a contributor.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is the answer!
And those who disagree, are the same that are described below.

2 Timothy 3New International Version (NIV)

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

A Final Charge to Timothy

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

a reply to: ClovenSky

Honesty is telling children we live in a fallen world. We will encounter pain, death, heartache. Teaching a child what to expect in this world is truth. Further the truth with a belief in something 'better' - Christ - who promises to help us through.

The parable? We'll each be given what God wants us to have and from there we're supposed to increase. You don't take what you're given and squander it. You take what you're given and cause it to increase. Some say this is spiritual gifts, others monetary, others how we use our spiritual gifts. That's why it's a parable. But the overwhelming sense is - when you're given something, don't squander it. Use it to do good.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Here is the answer!
And those who disagree, are the same that are described below.

2 Timothy 3New International Version (NIV)

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

A Final Charge to Timothy

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

You nailed that one!

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Removing "God" from schools has nothing to do with this.

"God" was in plenty of schools where the teachers were abusing the students. If Jesus were a real thing, I'm quite sure he'd stay out of schools voluntarily, being the kind-hearted mythological character that he is.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

You're right. It has NOTHING to do with IMAGINARY gods.

All Gods are inventions of man. None can be proven with emprical evidence. The only "evidence" that they exist is in the minds of believers.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

God really? This isn't god doing. Every time its about god you either have corrupt catholic schools or cults schools.

It is all about one tactic called "divide and conquer." We don't live like villagers anymore. If anything I or you would have gotten girlfriends already from school by start, pre-planned parent hood or stay long enough to like each other. How many times I could've gotten a girlfriend is no joke. But the people have no choice but, to keep moving. The Gov tax you to death and people run.

I've seen so much good looking people during high school turn corrupt either by gang recruitment or the division from society. Nearly kiss a girl once and she was a drug addict.
Maybe its meant to be that way to stay away from druggies.

Here we have a thread complaining about millennial not having enough babies. It isn't the millennial fault. Its the Gov/Parents fault selling the children to corporate interest. This is just the beginning. You shall see when the top 1% will be the only ones who can afford or even have babies. Either that or this is the beginning of idiocracy. Sports TV shows should be banned ASAP.
edit on 22-11-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join