It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

None of you are talking about net neutrality. Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
I sit in a fairly high technology position at one of the worlds largest companies. I think I have a better than most understanding of technology and the internet and how it shapes our world today.

With that said, Net Neutrality (NN) has only been a law for just under 1000 days. 1000 days. The Internet has been around in modern format for over 9604 days.

What happened for the first ~8600 days before NN?

Can anyone link to me some POSITIVE effects from NN being implemented that has made a tangible difference to us as consumers?

Edit

And finally a question for you, the proponent of NN: Is a nuetral Internet one that the government isn't involved in?

Given your alleged position, it's funny that you don't know about the history of net neutrality. It's been around for awhile, as a general agreement rather than a regulation.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do you even know what those cons mean?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do you even know what those cons mean?

*sigh*

Yes.

I know I am in the minority here on this issue and am currently having too much fun to get into a debate about government enforcing equal outcomes for ISP's.

But have fun with your Net Neutrality.

*shrugs and walks away whistling a jaunty show tune*

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I posted this in the other thread about this but it bears repeating.

This is what the internet looks like without net neutrality.

www.iflscience.com...

Thanks to the actions of certain corporations and governments, net neutrality is under threat. Instead of being seen as a public utility, it is becoming more of a product. As highlighted by Quartz, Portugal – a nation with no net neutrality protective laws in place – may be a vision of a dark future in this sense. 

MEO, a Lisbon-based telecommunications company, is taking advantage of the lack of regulations. They’re now offering packages at different prices that give their customers varying levels of access to the Web. If you pay a few euros per month, you just get to use messaging apps; a bit more, and you can use Facebook more, or perhaps Netflix more. 

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: Ranger351

We have maple syrup manufacturing in Quebec. Paying Amazon or having to sit through a vid of some french person. Tough choice.

a reply to: Autorico

I dohn naw wot is thees choice you are tokkin abouta....
edit on 21-11-2017 by Golden Rule because: omitted link to original poster

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is an issue I am very very passionate about. I honestly dont see how anyone could be opposed to eliminating net neutrality (or atleast the idea of it) and handing it over to the ISPs, where we already know what they are going to do with it.

If they get what they want (and im pretty sure they will because Ajit Pai is hellbent on getting this through, depsite the millions and millions of people opposed to it). I believe it will everyday life for a lot of people in a negative way, there is potential for everything that runs off the internet to be effected by it. One of the most obvious ways is that we will almost 100% for sure have a pay system similar to cable, where the ISP can divide up the internet into packages..They could say something like "for x amount you can have the top 100 websites unthrottled", or they can pick and choose sites to throttle. Including sites they disagree with.

You can say google does the same thing, but at this point you still have unthrottled access to every one of those sites, if you have the link to a site, you can go there and browse it unthrottled, that may not be the case in the future. Sure google features more prominently sites that pay them ad revenue, or potentially may hide sites their staff deems controversial, but those sites are still there, and still 100% accessible by people that want to visit them. I think some of the Google/Youtube stuff is overblown, atleast on the Youtube side, because their demonitization and Public Relations as a whole is terrible. Thats why even some of the biggest youtubers regularly complain about issues with the site.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ThoughtIsMadness

That's why they're trying their best to to create their little NWO so that Internet borders no longer exist. That's their ultimate goal, one Judge, One Jury & one fate for everyone using the Internet.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Net Neutrality issue is being discussed in this earlier-by-minutes thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join