It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoops....Pentagon accidentally exposes web-monitoring operation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Do people doing nefarious things on the internet and apps care how popular the platform they're using is?

It's not about doing nefarious things. I am certain all those messages captured were not 'nefarious,' at all. They probably mostly strayed from the sanctioned narrative. (ETA: And probably not even that necessarily...we are talking about data mining, really). And if data is being pulled from FB and Twitter...and elsewhere...that really doesn't bode well for any platform.

But, of course...you are correct. Always correct. I say that so that we won't go round and round because I know that's all you really want to hear anyway. Oh, and I am mistaken. Soothe, soothe. *strokes your fragile ego*

edit on 11/21/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Amazon S3repositories

I'm sure this has nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon's deal, right?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Do people doing nefarious things on the internet and apps care how popular the platform they're using is?

It's not about doing nefarious things. I am certain all those messages captured were not 'nefarious,' at all. They probably mostly strayed from the sanctioned narrative. (ETA: And probably not even that necessarily...we are talking about data mining, really). And if data is being pulled from FB and Twitter...and elsewhere...that really doesn't bode well for any platform.

But, of course...you are correct. Always correct. I say that so that we won't go round and round because I know that's all you really want to hear anyway. Oh, and I am mistaken. Soothe, soothe. *strokes your fragile ego*

Of course everything they captured wasn't nefarious. But that's what they're looking for. They're looking for terrorists, people exposing classified material, etc. And now they just told a lot of people hey we're watching on these platforms, so find a new one we don't have eyes on. You think that benefits them somehow? This is like telling a gang you have an undercover cop in their ranks.

And have people that have been straying from "the sanctioned narrative" been getting visits from special forces?
edit on 21 11 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Again, you are missing my point.

It's a chilling effect on free speech...but "oops" they didn't mean to, that was meant to be private. No one wants their messages gathered by the government because they discussed ISIS, Pakistan, etc...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Again, you are missing my point.

It's a chilling effect on free speech...but "oops" they didn't mean to, that was meant to be private. No one wants their messages gathered by the government because they discussed ISIS, Pakistan, etc...

Oh ok, the Pentagon is trying to suppress free speech.

That's even more ridiculous than what I thought you meant. Do you ever even leave your home with that kind of paranoia?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Do you ever stop beating your wife?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

At least you didn't deviate from your pattern to date of baseless posts.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
With friends like the DoD who needs enemies.....

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Who was ever naive enough to assume that ANYTHING you type into the Internet is ever private?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Yes?.. i mean No!...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It's not like this is new news. It's been obvious that the government has been spying on social media and popular forums for a long time now. That's why I just don't even deal with social media, first off all I don't really care to share a bunch of boring details about my life to people I don't know, and second of all, I see no point in trying to have a huge social media presence.

I'm sure anybody who posts on ATS has been, or will be monitored to an extent to gauge if they are just full of hot air, or a possible terrorist.

Personally, I just come here for the comedy.
edit on 11/21/2017 by eXia7 because: damn dyslexia

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
I'd say exposure of a secret operation like this is a pretty big blunder....

I bet that for every 1 of these we find, there's 100 that go undetected.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Its more than just the internet as far as I gather--if they are getting info off AWS servers, then there will be non-public facing info, like the entire EDRMS that we put on an AWS server at a particular job I was particularly working at a couple of years ago. Now this was for a museum, so its unlikely there is anything "sensitive" in the top secret kinda way, but there was culturally sensitive info on there that was not for the public, and it would be very bad for my former manager if this stuff was found to be public... actually getting him in the # is a good thing, carry on NSA, nothing to see here.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Amazon S3repositories

I'm sure this has nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon's deal, right?

Is AWS a problem?

Here is another major breach where personal data has been stolen.

Uber Paid Hackers to Delete Stolen Data on 57 Million People

Here’s how the hack went down: Two attackers accessed a private GitHub coding site used by Uber software engineers and then used login credentials they obtained there to access data stored on an Amazon Web Services account that handled computing tasks for the company. From there, the hackers discovered an archive of rider and driver information. Later, they emailed Uber asking for money, according to the company.

edit on 21-11-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Not surprised! This is the sort of thing they have always done. It's just that, with the internet, they can be ore easily detected.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join